ATV volunteers for volunteer Rangers?

Started by lisa, May 10, 2005, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa

 Well, it seems the ONF is getting some good press here, so I am asking how many of you would like to volunteer to be volunteer rangers?

 This is a good program that is in danger of falling apart due to lack of volunteers. It is an education, maintenence, forest inspection program that regular folks participate in.

 Mainly, what you do is while doing an "offical" ranger ride, make note of fences and trees down, and trails blocked. If you see folks violating the laws of the forest, stop and educate them on the Rules and Regulations of riding the trails.

 We, mostly ATVs though, are in danger of losing a lot of trails ya'll ride. There is talk of closing off trails on un-numbered roads and limiting the ATVs to 2,000 miles of trails. We can stop that talk, and prevent any more closures if we ban together and show those controlling the ONF that we are willing to police ourselves, as well as offering to help maintain our Forest, thereby saving them time and money.

 Any takers?
In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904

Njoutlaw88

If I lived closer I would. Good luck finding people.

lisa

 Do you ever come up to the forest? All we are asking is for folks to donate one weekend day, not even the whole weekend. With enough folks volunteering that, it won't take but a fraction of those of you who visit the ONF.

 The idea is that we get three no more than four vehicles, 4x4s, ATVs, etc. to patrol Saturday and Sunday at least. There are only 52 weekends a year, that is 104 days. 104x3 vehicles means 312, if the same ones are not patrolling over and over again.

 There are that many vehicles out on a slow weekend! With all the groups in Florida that use the trails, surely we can get half that many willing to keep our trails open.

 This is a pilot program that very likely could spill over into our state parks and forests. If enough interest is shown, we can be a voice to reopening our trails throughout the state. (that is my long term goal, short term, getting folks to understand this may be the only way they have to keep our National Forests in our state open to us!)
In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904

Qdawg76

Hey if it would help keep more trails open Count me in I can help out
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

GrizzlyBear

I will gladly give whatever time is necessary.  Where do we go to sign up.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

qt314nfla

Lisa I think you have a great idea.  It's good to see positive solutions to potential problems or issues.  I'd be willing to help out.  I live quite a distance but if someone can give me a weekend day that I'd be scheduled to patrol that'd be great.

Have you considered posting the dates needed and how many people so that people can sign up?  Is someone going to make a schedule of volunteers?  Keep me posted on the subject.  Anything I can do to help the sport out I'm all over it.

GSPKurt

Count me in, my wife, too. We can even do weekday rides.
Kurt
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

CAOSPOP

If it was to be 1 day of the weekend id love to do it. Im 5hrs away !!! I would apprieciate the help finding a place to stay for those days if possible.

Hollywood

'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr

Ida_Mann

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

NPRVinson

I'm in too. Lisa, are you with the D.O.F?

dmljohnson

i can do it 1 weekend a month.....if thats cool..maybe we can get ppl from miami to do it the same time..where we can come up together....i can camp out there..i dont care...but i will do it one weekend a month....
What dont kills you make you stronger
Bad is never good until worse happens
Behind an able man there are always other able men
Be slow in choosing a friend, but slower in changing him
By learning you will teach; by teaching you will learn

Moose

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

bigscrub79

Count me in. I can do 1 weekend no problem, just let us know where to sign up and figure out a schedule.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Eworm

If anything should be a sticky this one is it. I would do it for one day.

dmljohnson

Lisa if you want we can start garthering a list of names here
http://www.flaohv.com/content.asp?sid=11&id=-1


we can generate a list of names and contact info for you....
What dont kills you make you stronger
Bad is never good until worse happens
Behind an able man there are always other able men
Be slow in choosing a friend, but slower in changing him
By learning you will teach; by teaching you will learn

Chuck_Norris



GSPKurt

QuoteLisa if you want we can start garthering a list of names here
http://www.flaohv.com/content.asp?sid=11&id=-1


we can generate a list of names and contact info for you....


I responded there. I am all for this, if it keeps them from closing trails. We were at Big Scrub 2 weeks ago and the garbage we saw was sickening. We should also do a clean-up ride soon.
Kurt
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Redgrizzly660

#19
We did  a clean up ride  about two months ago and only 20 peoples show up.

 That's kind of sad  [smiley=embarassed2.gif]

Grizz

Ida_Mann

I tried to show, but blew a head gasket and wouldn't do much good after that  :-/

I'd be up for another one, but from what I heard, the trail system is a definate thing and there aint no stopping it, so why should I care?

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

CEC

we should be willing to do what ever we can to protect our privilege to ride.I only go to ONF about every 2 months.I hope to start going more I'm looking for a few acres of land there, Let me know if i can help.
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

CEC

WE all need to get in this program and get involved.It might be the only shot we have of keeping ONF open, it just got 8600 acers smaller.I only go up 1 or 2 times a month but I will offer to help, just let me know
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

stump66

How about if they came up with a form or log for those of us that would be more then happy to help. We could take notes and get whatever info they want even in areas where they rarely go. We could sign it with valid id and they would get allot of usefull info. I'm almost 2hr and would love to do something to help.   ???
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

CEC

they need a way to check the bikes in and they give you a numbered flag or something to identify each bike.Then if something was going on that was not supposed to be it would be easy to report
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com