how to sell car on my own

Started by jackinthebox23, July 26, 2005, 08:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackinthebox23

Hey, need advice from pro's out there... I'm selling my car to my neighbor and want to make sure I do it right.

All I need is to transfer the title over to him and create a "bill of sale" type form. He signs, I sign, and we're done right?

Anything else I need to make sure I do in order to cover my keester?
2005 Polaris Sportsman 400

gery350

call me anal with my release forms and all but like some of you said-CYA. until transfer of title is actually done the car is still under your name. make sure he transfers title prior to driving. if he gets into an accident or whatever, they will come looking for you. believe me my sister in law sold her car to some guy. the car was involved in a hit and run and later found abandoned. well when the cops pulled the info it was still registered under her name. its been an ordeal for her to try and prove she had sold the car. CYA. :)
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

Old_School

Make sure somewhere in the agreement you put something like "Seller has no responsibility or is liable for anything after sale. Sale is final." That way he can't come back and say you sold me a POS and you should buy it back.  But I personally would never sell any car, boat, atv, etc to my neighbor regardless of the condition. That could lead to a broken friendship if something happens.
-Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

jackinthebox23

thanks for the replies. I definitely want to CMA. 
People have warned me about selling to a neighbor, but in this case, I know what I am giving them is in pristine condition with an extended warranty. So, my conscious is free. I've even explained to them that the car is in great condition..we bought it new and they know the history of it, so they are cool with it.  But it is definitely a valid concern.

Maybe I'll drive with them down to the tag/title place to transfer it with them.
2005 Polaris Sportsman 400

TRX350_On_The_Rack

A Notary can be your best friend.
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

wilburz

do a google search for 'bill of sale'. You can then copy and print it out. very official. 
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com