Deer season at Ocala

Started by Starbuc71, November 01, 2011, 11:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starbuc71

We were riding at Ocala on the centennial trail on Saturday and the place was flooded with people hunting deers with thier dogs.  Not sure if they were actually hunting since I don't know what the exact season is, but my friend and I were getting dirty looks and one "F-you" from the guys in thier trucks.  Should us riders stay clear from Ocala until deer season is over?  Also it seems pretty dangerous if you run up on the dogs and a deer and you both cross a fire road with the hunter aiming from the roof of his truck.  I was getting worried we were going to start hearing dualing banjo's for a while
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

stacktester

I've been riding out there since 2003 and I've never understood why atv'ers and hunters have to use the same areas. We have the same right to use the forest as the hunters. The place is like 300,000 something acres and they have to be in that one area?
Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend

sugarsand007

They are in the same area's because the brain trust of the forest will only allow them to also only drive on the same trails as were are allowed to drive on. Even though they are allowed to drive on the numbered rodes there are restrictions on about them shooting off there guns from the numbered rodes.
2006 crf450r and 2006 polaris outlaw 500

SMP63

I think its black powder season now & then goes into riffle season. If you do ride now be sure to wear brite colors. Hunters orange is suggested! I wouldn't recommend any shade of brown!! LOL!!!!
Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to

stacktester

Oh crap, does this mean no camo jackets lol.
Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend

Starbuc71

I'm sure even wearing orange, I'll get a few fingers thrown at me.  Like I said most of the hunters seemed pretty pissed we were there.  I was worried about parking my truck there all day to be honest
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

SMP63

#6
The trail head for Centennial is off the main road aways. If your concerned about it ride the north trails. The southern trail head is right next to 316 or go to the Rodman Res. trail head on
the north end. If you still want to ride Centennial use the Big Scrub Campground trail head!
Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to

stacktester

Quote from: Starbuc71 on November 04, 2011, 10:49:10 PM
I'm sure even wearing orange, I'll get a few fingers thrown at me.  Like I said most of the hunters seemed pretty pissed we were there.  I was worried about parking my truck there all day to be honest

Dave, when we first started riding ONF in 03 I used to carry my daughter on front who was 6 at the time. We'd be riding down a narrow trail and here would be some jackass coming towards us in a truck full blast even though I know he saw a kid on the bike.

I'm sure I'll get some flack on this, but those guys aren't hunters out there running dogs. Most of them are hunt club rejects that nobody wants in their group. I say most. I'm sure there are some good guys out there but when you purposely play chicken with somebody with a kid on a 4 wheeler with a 3k pound truck that's an idiot.

The funniest thing I ever saw with the hunters vs atv'ers was one day a group of guys on 4 wheelers were riding on the powerline near Big Scrub CG and a dog ran in front of them. The hunters chased the guys down claiming they purposely tried to hit the dog and a fight broke out. There musta been 20 guys beating the living crap outta each other. The hunters were firing guns in the air (those bullets do come down btw) to break the fight up. We decided to head for the woods and about 2 hours later we pass by scrub and there had to be 20 law enforcement vehicles with all these guys fighting in handcuffs. The only one's arrested were the guys who fired guns. It looked like a boxing match guys all covered in blood.

Whenever you could ride wherever I would just go the opposite direction when I saw hunters. Now you don't have that option. ONF is for everyone and I hope the hunters don't hurt somebody just trying to enjoy something just like them.
Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend

AintSkeered

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

patches206

Just ride at Croom during hunting season.  They only bow hunt no firearms, :no
(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
Quad32Ex-laxblows!
Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!

Backwoods Racin

Quote from: Starbuc71 on November 01, 2011, 11:16:16 PM
We were riding at Ocala on the centennial trail on Saturday and the place was flooded with people hunting deers with thier dogs.  Not sure if they were actually hunting since I don't know what the exact season is, but my friend and I were getting dirty looks and one "F-you" from the guys in thier trucks.  Should us riders stay clear from Ocala until deer season is over?  Also it seems pretty dangerous if you run up on the dogs and a deer and you both cross a fire road with the hunter aiming from the roof of his truck.  I was getting worried we were going to start hearing dualing banjo's for a while
I live in hog valley and ride and hunt the forest. I am a still hunter not a dog hunter, if you stay north of 316 there is no dog hunting allowed and most hunters are smart enough to stay off of the FEW trails that we have left to ride. I have had a few run ins with dog hunters myself and most are ok but a few feel that during season they own the forest and only they should be there.
Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL

gmiller0737

What those hunters were doing is Training their dogs it was Deer Dog Training Season where hunters are allowed to run their dogs but no firearms are legal,I think it is closed right now,But I think opening day of general gun is like Nov.11th

SMP63

That makes NO sense!!! Lets chase the deer off then go hunting!   WTF!!!  LOL!
Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to

Starbuc71

Quote from: stacktester on November 05, 2011, 07:14:13 AM
Quote from: Starbuc71 on November 04, 2011, 10:49:10 PM
I'm sure even wearing orange, I'll get a few fingers thrown at me.  Like I said most of the hunters seemed pretty pissed we were there.  I was worried about parking my truck there all day to be honest

Dave, when we first started riding ONF in 03 I used to carry my daughter on front who was 6 at the time. We'd be riding down a narrow trail and here would be some jackass coming towards us in a truck full blast even though I know he saw a kid on the bike.

I'm sure I'll get some flack on this, but those guys aren't hunters out there running dogs. Most of them are hunt club rejects that nobody wants in their group. I say most. I'm sure there are some good guys out there but when you purposely play chicken with somebody with a kid on a 4 wheeler with a 3k pound truck that's an idiot.

The funniest thing I ever saw with the hunters vs atv'ers was one day a group of guys on 4 wheelers were riding on the powerline near Big Scrub CG and a dog ran in front of them. The hunters chased the guys down claiming they purposely tried to hit the dog and a fight broke out. There musta been 20 guys beating the living crap outta each other. The hunters were firing guns in the air (those bullets do come down btw) to break the fight up. We decided to head for the woods and about 2 hours later we pass by scrub and there had to be 20 law enforcement vehicles with all these guys fighting in handcuffs. The only one's arrested were the guys who fired guns. It looked like a boxing match guys all covered in blood.

Whenever you could ride wherever I would just go the opposite direction when I saw hunters. Now you don't have that option. ONF is for everyone and I hope the hunters don't hurt somebody just trying to enjoy something just like them.

Donnie,
I guess until hunting season is over, I will ride the north trails and park at the 316 trail head.  I always liked riding the centenial since it was one big loop and it was less likely to get lost.  It only takes one pissed off hunter to start a fight and I don't need to go to jail for thier stupidness.  I did not hear any gunfire last week, so I'm sure they were training the dogs.  I hate to see what would happen if we came upon thier dogs and some deer when they did have thier guns loaded
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

sugarsand007

Where exactly in the northern end are the hunters not allowed to run there dogs.
2006 crf450r and 2006 polaris outlaw 500

Busta Nutt


sugarsand007

#16
I rode the the brown trail to salt springs and i ran into hunters on the power lines near salt springs which is north of 316?
2006 crf450r and 2006 polaris outlaw 500

SMP63

They are allowed to hunt but not with dogs north of CR316.
Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to

zephyr

i was up riding this past weekend north of 316 and spoke to several hunters and all were very socialable
2010 Green Polaris Sportsman 800

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com