Any R/C Heli Pilots On Here?

Started by digginfool, January 16, 2010, 09:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digginfool

For the last year, my son has used his allowance money to buy several mall r/c helis that were POS and they're not cheap!  I was at the hobby shop last week and picked up a Blade mcx300 for him and it turned out to be a blast.  We both had it mastered within a couple days and so I went back out and purchased a Blade msr.  That is definitely a much more challenging heli but my son and I have gotten quite good with it.  I'm now thinking that it might be fun to try out a larger copter (Blade 400 or TRex 450).  I have Real Flight G4 sim and it has helis on it but I've really struggled even hovering.  So, long story short, how realistic is the sim compared to actual flying?  My gut feeling is that if I can handle the msr I should be able to handle a larger, more stable copter (although admittedly, the msr is fixed pitch) and my problems with the sim is the lack of spatial perception.  I definitely don't want to go out and dump $400-500.00 on a heli if we're not up to the task.  Any comments?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Chillinthemost

Get it on video for the rest of us to enjoy.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com