Racing Insurance - What do you carry?

Started by Mark Potter, January 10, 2010, 09:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Potter


I was wonder what type of insurance people have for competing in racing events?

I am looking to get back into woods racing (FTR Harescrambls) but my wife is not a big fan right now as I had a bad crash a few years back and was down for a few months with a  two broken vertebrates. The company I work for stood behind me payed my salary until I was able to return to work so we were fine but it really made her very concerned that "next time" we won't be as fortunate? I am still with the same company and in fact I now work from my home studio so if I got laid up again as long as I can get to a computer I can work.

My crash was on a flat-track racing ATV's and have told her that I won't be returning to that but that I would like to compete in the FTR hair scrambles. I raced a quad scramble the week prior to my flat track crash and the FTR event was awesome and I would like to do more.

So my thinking is to see about how other families insure themselves against potential medical/income issues from racing in events like the FTR and such and see about showing her how I can possibly aquire more insurance and see if that might help my situation.

01ZX12R

Check on the AMA website.  It seems like I seen something on there for racer insurance.
K&K Motorsports 
Full Spectrum Racing
06' YFZ450  #12
08' KFX450  #21
08' LTR450   #132

RTR_380/450R

As anybody on here can probably tell you, I am an expert at needing insurance for injuries caused from racing.
First of all.... Do you have health insurance at all?
If so, then AFLAC is an awesome way of protecting against injury.
I personally have paid my bills and made money on a couple of injuries.
Enroll in a Accidental Injury Plan and a Disability plan.
The Accident Injury Plan pays a certain dollar amount per injury and item need to evaluate injury.
Things like MRI's, Xrays, braces, and tons of other stuff.
They pay per injury for things like bones, sight, loss of limb, etc.

Here are a few examples....

Broke C5 and fused both C5 and C6 in my neck = $6900 of payout. I was out for 3 weeks.
Grade 4 seperation (not dilocation) of shoulder = $3800 of Payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
MRI, MCL, Meniscus Surgery of knee = $$4100 payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
Loss of right middle finger = $5400 payout. Out for 5 weeks.

And I felt every single one of them at the 25 degree race and practice at Bithlo this weekend!!!! :'(

This coverage costs me a little under $150 a month, and that includes the Accidental coverage for both my kids as well.
Absolutely would not race without it.
Hope this helps!!

jt
RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com

quad-14

not to get off topic by any means, but i was wondering how you lost your middle finger... if you dont mind telling
Know Saftey...No Pain
No Saftey...Know Pain

trx#9

Quote from: RTR_380/450R on January 11, 2010, 04:36:13 AM
As anybody on here can probably tell you, I am an expert at needing insurance for injuries caused from racing.
First of all.... Do you have health insurance at all?
If so, then AFLAC is an awesome way of protecting against injury.
I personally have paid my bills and made money on a couple of injuries.
Enroll in a Accidental Injury Plan and a Disability plan.
The Accident Injury Plan pays a certain dollar amount per injury and item need to evaluate injury.
Things like MRI's, Xrays, braces, and tons of other stuff.
They pay per injury for things like bones, sight, loss of limb, etc.

Here are a few examples....

Broke C5 and fused both C5 and C6 in my neck = $6900 of payout. I was out for 3 weeks.
Grade 4 seperation (not dilocation) of shoulder = $3800 of Payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
MRI, MCL, Meniscus Surgery of knee = $$4100 payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
Loss of right middle finger = $5400 payout. Out for 5 weeks.

And I felt every single one of them at the 25 degree race and practice at Bithlo this weekend!!!! :'(

This coverage costs me a little under $150 a month, and that includes the Accidental coverage for both my kids as well.
Absolutely would not race without it.
Hope this helps!!

jt
Do they know you race atv's?
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

trx#9

Quote from: quad-14 on January 11, 2010, 04:56:13 AM
not to get off topic by any means, but i was wondering how you lost your middle finger... if you dont mind telling
You don't want to know, but he may show you with his other finger.... ;)
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

RTR_380/450R

Quote from: trx#9 on January 11, 2010, 04:59:53 AM
Quote from: quad-14 on January 11, 2010, 04:56:13 AM
not to get off topic by any means, but i was wondering how you lost your middle finger... if you dont mind telling
You don't want to know, but he may show you with his other finger.... ;)

Eric,
Im still waiting for you to give me my finger back!!
I dont like giving exams with my left middle finger. :D

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com

trx#9

Quote from: RTR_380/450R on January 11, 2010, 03:08:05 PM
Quote from: trx#9 on January 11, 2010, 04:59:53 AM
Quote from: quad-14 on January 11, 2010, 04:56:13 AM
not to get off topic by any means, but i was wondering how you lost your middle finger... if you dont mind telling
You don't want to know, but he may show you with his other finger.... ;)

Eric,
Im still waiting for you to give me my finger back!!
I dont like giving exams with my left middle finger. :D


To let everyone know you were the doctor in the movie Cannonball Run.  rolback1
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

Mark Potter

Quote from: RTR_380/450R on January 11, 2010, 04:36:13 AM
As anybody on here can probably tell you, I am an expert at needing insurance for injuries caused from racing.
First of all.... Do you have health insurance at all?
If so, then AFLAC is an awesome way of protecting against injury.
I personally have paid my bills and made money on a couple of injuries.
Enroll in a Accidental Injury Plan and a Disability plan.
The Accident Injury Plan pays a certain dollar amount per injury and item need to evaluate injury.
Things like MRI's, Xrays, braces, and tons of other stuff.
They pay per injury for things like bones, sight, loss of limb, etc.

Here are a few examples....

Broke C5 and fused both C5 and C6 in my neck = $6900 of payout. I was out for 3 weeks.
Grade 4 seperation (not dilocation) of shoulder = $3800 of Payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
MRI, MCL, Meniscus Surgery of knee = $$4100 payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
Loss of right middle finger = $5400 payout. Out for 5 weeks.

And I felt every single one of them at the 25 degree race and practice at Bithlo this weekend!!!! :'(

This coverage costs me a little under $150 a month, and that includes the Accidental coverage for both my kids as well.
Absolutely would not race without it.
Hope this helps!!

jt


Thanks so much this sounds like what I need to look into as I do have health ins. thanks for a very helpful answer!

RTR_380/450R

Quote from: trx#9 on January 11, 2010, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: RTR_380/450R on January 11, 2010, 03:08:05 PM
Quote from: trx#9 on January 11, 2010, 04:59:53 AM
Quote from: quad-14 on January 11, 2010, 04:56:13 AM
not to get off topic by any means, but i was wondering how you lost your middle finger... if you dont mind telling
You don't want to know, but he may show you with his other finger.... ;)

Eric,
Im still waiting for you to give me my finger back!!
I dont like giving exams with my left middle finger. :D



To let everyone know you were the doctor in the movie Cannonball Run.  rolback1

That is funny as hellll!!!!! 
Only us old guys know who that is!!
What ever happened to that crazy looking cockeyed guy?

jt
RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com

RTR_380/450R

Quote from: Mark Potter on January 12, 2010, 02:11:34 AM
Quote from: RTR_380/450R on January 11, 2010, 04:36:13 AM
As anybody on here can probably tell you, I am an expert at needing insurance for injuries caused from racing.
First of all.... Do you have health insurance at all?
If so, then AFLAC is an awesome way of protecting against injury.
I personally have paid my bills and made money on a couple of injuries.
Enroll in a Accidental Injury Plan and a Disability plan.
The Accident Injury Plan pays a certain dollar amount per injury and item need to evaluate injury.
Things like MRI's, Xrays, braces, and tons of other stuff.
They pay per injury for things like bones, sight, loss of limb, etc.

Here are a few examples....

Broke C5 and fused both C5 and C6 in my neck = $6900 of payout. I was out for 3 weeks.
Grade 4 seperation (not dilocation) of shoulder = $3800 of Payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
MRI, MCL, Meniscus Surgery of knee = $$4100 payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
Loss of right middle finger = $5400 payout. Out for 5 weeks.

And I felt every single one of them at the 25 degree race and practice at Bithlo this weekend!!!! :'(

This coverage costs me a little under $150 a month, and that includes the Accidental coverage for both my kids as well.
Absolutely would not race without it.
Hope this helps!!

jt


Thanks so much this sounds like what I need to look into as I do have health ins. thanks for a very helpful answer!

No problem!! I am usually extremely helpful and educated along with being very goodlooking, tons of swagger, and faster than TRX9!!!

jt
RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com

Mark Potter

Quote from: RTR_380/450R on January 11, 2010, 04:36:13 AM

Here are a few examples....

Broke C5 and fused both C5 and C6 in my neck = $6900 of payout. I was out for 3 weeks.
Grade 4 seperation (not dilocation) of shoulder = $3800 of Payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
MRI, MCL, Meniscus Surgery of knee = $$4100 payout. I was out for 2 weeks.
Loss of right middle finger = $5400 payout. Out for 5 weeks.


When you say "pay out" what are you referring to? final cost to you of injury after ins? or is this what they paid towards your medical cost?

mudnuri

When I got my health insurance a few months back, I specifically asked about racing ATV's. As long as it is not a professional event - I am covered.
Avalon Healthcare
Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i