BREVARD COUNTY BANNING ATV RIDING. HEARING OCT 6TH

Started by prosa69, October 02, 2009, 01:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prosa69

Brevard county is trying to get an ordinance to ban ATV riding.  They are having a public hearing on it October 6th at 9am in Viera courthouse.  Please come out to stop this ban.   Our riding and atv dealers depend on it.  >:( >:( >:(


You can see the ordinance proposal here:
http://199.241.8.125/index.cfm?FuseAction=CountyBoard.CountyAgendas

You have to open the pdf link on the web site to see the proposal:   its near the bottom of the list: October 6, 2009 Regular Attachment V.B

digginfool

You'll be hard-pressed to beat that one.  You may as well consider it passed.  I do think that a number of the conditions are un-enforceable (such as you can only have two guests operating an ATV on your own property at the same time) but overall, there's no way that's not getting passed.  There is a long history of tight-assed law enforcement in Brevard County and you may as well kiss 5A goodbye (there's a good reason why the ordinance was written the way it is - how many 5-acre lots exist out there that also have direct access by a public right-of-way).
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

zman03

Good luck getting any support from the ATV community!!!!  I dont think there are enough people that care enough to do anything for the very activity which they enjoy so much!!!       I wish you well and cant wait to hear how many people showed up to the meeting.
Youve gotta pin it to win it!

Anoriginal

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

digginfool

Quote from: Anoriginal on October 02, 2009, 05:06:29 PM
I'd love to take this on in court.

I agree.  I'm not an attorney but I'm familiar enough with law to know that ordinance is full of holes.  District 1 Brevard County, if I remember correctly, is the very Northern part, which would include the area known as 5A.  This ordinance was clearly written to close that place off once and for all.  It's amusing that they even reference (most likely) this site in an off-hand way in that 'the area is openly advertised on the internet for ATV riding.'
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

ScooterB

06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA

prosa69

The ordinance was turned down (FOR NOW).  The issue is to stop the DUMB A___ people that go out there like idiots and will ruin it for everyone. If we can just use some common sense which might be limited by some of the riders I see out there we can keep this open for everyone and not have to worry about things like this poping up again. 
Quoted from someone who lives near Canaveral groves " motorized hoodlums screech tires at night, scatter trash and race on roadways every weekend" 

B. Graves

There are some dumb ass mother f'ers out there that ride ATVs. It sucks for the responsible ones that respect peoples property. Riding at night anywhere near houses especially on the street is just stupid. The future of our sport/hobby looks not too good. It sucks. I was gonna go to that meeting but I figured Id probably end up saying something stupid and making us look bad out of anger.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com