winch ?

Started by m0n0x1d3, March 27, 2009, 08:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m0n0x1d3

All,
I have noticed that on several occasions that warn winches will only let the cable out or only pull it in.
Now i have also noticed that this happens after pulling several vehicles out of mudholes.What I need to know is if this is common and from the winch being hot.I have already found a 4000 lb viper that I am planning on buying once i get home from my skiing trip.If my issue is just from overheating then I may keep my winch and just change the cable to rope and put on a bar mount in and out switch.Keep in mind that we have 3  bikes that ride with us and all 3 have warn/polaris winches and all 3 do the same thing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Keeter

Quote from: m0n0x1d3 on March 27, 2009, 08:26:05 AM
All,
I have noticed that on several occasions that warn winches will only let the cable out or only pull it in.
Now i have also noticed that this happens after pulling several vehicles out of mudholes.What I need to know is if this is common and from the winch being hot.I have already found a 4000 lb viper that I am planning on buying once i get home from my skiing trip.If my issue is just from overheating then I may keep my winch and just change the cable to rope and put on a bar mount in and out switch.Keep in mind that we have 3  bikes that ride with us and all 3 have warn/polaris winches and all 3 do the same thing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Do you hear the contactor clicking when you push the button?
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

Anoriginal

I haven't had the trouble your talking about however, I have switched to the winch rope from cable. I am very glad I did. Much easier to handle and you get a lot more length and strength in a smaller diameter. If you haven't done so already, it's definitely worth changing over.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

m0n0x1d3

no cotactor noise at all,but right now its working heh
ill check the contactor when i get home today.Thnx for the input all

Anoriginal

I've rebuilt my winch in the past and needed parts for others along the way. Here's a website I've used to order parts from. They've always delivered as needed and with decent prices.

So, if you find yourself needing parts, here's a great place to start.

http://warnserviceparts.com/parts.asp
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

JackL

Yeah, this is the exact reason I ride with a comealong, and leave the winch bolted to my trailer. ;)

http://www.nationalwholesaletools.com/browseproducts/4-Ton-Hand-Puller---Comealong.HTML

Keep your stupid, always broken when you need them winches.


The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

MadMudder

My dad got a 2500 warn with his polaris new in 2004 and the damn thing still works like a charm. Never rebuilt it, never replaced cable...only problem has been with the contactors but since we relocated it, that hasnt even been an issue. Ive never pulled more than 2 bikes out back to back with it before but there as been a few times that its been in fender deep mud and had to pull about 75% to 80% of its cable length while dragging a 1,000lb polaris sportsman lol. You might just have mud or something inside the winch and its causing it to overheat. Also like they said check your contactor because that could have started going out.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

m0n0x1d3

well where the contactor is mounted is not a very dry spot so i will remount it.I spend my days pulling out rhinos and canams and usualy the all get stuck at the same time heh.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com