Front bearing for a 05 Rubicon

Started by Slick89, February 10, 2009, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick89

Well the bearing in the left front knuckle is shot so im decided to replace both side. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it is done. I know the bearings are pressed in but i want to know if there are any tricks and maybe you can give me a step by step process on hows its done.. thanks
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593[/url]

AintSkeered

If you're certain they're pressed in(and not just held in with a circlip and dustcap), just take it to any shop and let them press it in. For example, Poop Boys charged me $10 to press a bearing in on an A/C tensioner.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

AintSkeered

Alos, Honda can sell you a tool that you can use with a hammer to press it in, but, that'll cost you more than letting any shop do it. It'll take them all of 5 minutes with their press.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

bwfish

Support the hub and drive them out with a brass punch and hammer. Do not just support outside edge you will damage the hub. I have replaced the bearings on my 4x4 rancher and my 2x4 rancher and the front bearings on the z400 that way.
2009 Rhino SE 700 14" ITP w/27"mudlites
2009 rzr
2007 transformer4
2009 Polaris Ranger 500
2003 kaw 250 Bayou
2009 Kaw 50

Slick89

any idea on what brand bearings to get. i wanna go with something better than OEM. been looking into All Balls. anybody ever  heard of them? heres a link to them
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Bearings&webTypeId=151&webCatId=14&allVehParts=true&prodFamilyId=9289#vehicleSelect
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593[/url]

Slick89

so nobody has any recommendations on what brand bearings to get?? 
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593[/url]

Mars

I just did the fronts on a Foreman. I got a kit from Mazur's ATV. They were on ebay. $66 bucks for both front wheels. Bearing/seal were a perfect fit. Quality is very good in IMO.
I'm sure the all balls are good too.
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.