Yamaha Grizzly vs Honda Rincon

Started by FoxRider450r, November 02, 2008, 09:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxRider450r

I am looking to buy a 4x4, and I have heard many ups and downs on the grizzly and the rincon, does anyone have any suggestions on which one is better all around.  Thanks for your help

MudMan

You are talking buying something new right ? 

Because the old grizzly and the new grizzly are two different animals.

If you want reliability and durability get the Rincon. 

If you want performance get a Grizz

2006 Honda Foreman
26 inch swamp lites
ITP black series 7 rims
Triangle snorkel
Custom Waterproof Stereo

:::LET IT EAT:::

ern

Quote from: MudMan on November 02, 2008, 09:44:00 PM
You are talking buying something new right ? 

Because the old grizzly and the new grizzly are two different animals.

If you want reliability, durability and performance get a Grizz



fixed

Paul_S

Quote from: MudMan on November 02, 2008, 09:44:00 PM
You are talking buying something new right ? 

Because the old grizzly and the new grizzly are two different animals.

If you want performance reliability and durability get the Rincon. 



Now it's fixed  ;)

MudMan

Quote from: Paul_S on November 02, 2008, 10:12:36 PM
Quote from: MudMan on November 02, 2008, 09:44:00 PM
You are talking buying something new right ? 

Because the old grizzly and the new grizzly are two different animals.

If you want performance reliability and durability get the Rincon. 



Now it's fixed  ;)

LOL  we all know what Honda usually lacks in performance on its UTES it makes up for in reliability and durability

You'll be happy on either bike.....bottom line
2006 Honda Foreman
26 inch swamp lites
ITP black series 7 rims
Triangle snorkel
Custom Waterproof Stereo

:::LET IT EAT:::

klutchbuster400

I heard those Rincons were pretty powerful. But Yamaha always makes fast stuff.

dj_pizzim

the grizz will be a pain in the arse to snorkel and the exhaust runs right under the fuel tank.  Power stearing in nice but just more stuff to break.  I would go with the Rincon.
07 Yfz450
05 Honda Rincon

www.RNRwheels.com
www.Onlypowersports.com
www.floridamotoplex.com
www.fairtax.org

jrpro130

The grizz is easy to snorkel, dont' let anyone fool you.  theres tons of tutorials on different forums.

if you want a reliable atv, honda.

if you want a reliable big bore bike that will hang with the rest and not break down all the time=grizzly

if you want an all out bike with a lot of power, get a brute/can-am. 

I have experience with all of the above, the only thing I had a problem with on the grizz was axles, now thats fixed.  The brute/canams I always have a problem with.  From tie rods to belts and such...BUT they whooop the grizz.

I'd rather ride a brute/can-am and fix it all the time than a honda.  Just me.  I ride deep mud/water, so it's just my opinion, I don't mind working on a bike because the brute/can-am both have amazing power comparatively.

don't get it twisted though...honda will outlast all of the above combined...I just can't deal with the lack of power.
08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods

FoxRider450r

Has anyone had any experience with a programmer on a rincon? I was thinking about buying an 06-07 and adding a few bolt ons to up the performance, prob a programmer, exhaust, filter kit.  I want the reliability and durability more than performance, but was thinking I could add some HP by going aftermarket.  What do you think and thanks for all help so far.

r6realtor

I have an 08 grizz 700 and it's awesome, it has never once given me a problem it has around 1100miles give or take, the newer grizzly's are definitely much improved all around in my opinion, better/higher snorkle placement, gulwing a-arms, better more reliable engine, plus it looks great.
However, my brother in law and father in law both have 2006 660 grizzly's, my father in law has 4700miles on his and has replaced a rear diff seal, rear wheel bearing, and replaced a throttle cable, he absolutely beats the hell out of it, I think that is pretty good for that many miles with so little gone wrong.
and to be honest with you I love my new RZR but I still, would get rid of it before my grizzly,,, The Grizz is BAD A$$!!!
Dont know much about the Honda but I would highly recommend the Grizzly 700

2011 Polaris Ranger Pursuit camo 800
27" radial outlaws, diesel wheels 2"emp lift, FTD roof, multi mount winch

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700

Fox17

ok, so the grizzly, brute, can am are faster. why the heck do you want a fast utility bike. if you want speed, but a 450R. if you want a utility bike, get the honda. id get a Rubicon before a Rincon but thats just me.

bbf

i would go with the grizzly i have a 07 with 2700 miles and have had no problem with it and the power stearing work very well

r6realtor

I personally think all the brands have really stepped up in reliabiltiy ecspecially yamaha I trully feel like they are on par with Honda but they just have much more performance. Although Iam waiting for honda to produce something awesome in the sidexside market like there old pilot just in 2seats, the new big red is not what I had in mind for a sxs and it's a massive pig.
2011 Polaris Ranger Pursuit camo 800
27" radial outlaws, diesel wheels 2"emp lift, FTD roof, multi mount winch

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700

dj_pizzim

agreed the big red is just a mule with more suspension ..... and you really cant go wrong with a Ute its all on how you treat it and how you clean and maintain it after you ride .... I love my rincon, very easy to snorkel, and with the gear reduction it pulls through mud with ease.  Now for straight line speed i get wooped .... alot .... but thats why i have my YFZ   :ThumbsUp.gif
07 Yfz450
05 Honda Rincon

www.RNRwheels.com
www.Onlypowersports.com
www.floridamotoplex.com
www.fairtax.org

MudMan

Quote from: jrpro130 on November 03, 2008, 05:25:44 PM
The grizz is easy to snorkel, dont' let anyone fool you.  theres tons of tutorials on different forums.

if you want a reliable atv, honda.

if you want a reliable big bore bike that will hang with the rest and not break down all the time=grizzly

if you want an all out bike with a lot of power, get a brute/can-am. 

I have experience with all of the above, the only thing I had a problem with on the grizz was axles, now thats fixed.  The brute/canams I always have a problem with.  From tie rods to belts and such...BUT they whooop the grizz.

I'd rather ride a brute/can-am and fix it all the time than a honda.  Just me.  I ride deep mud/water, so it's just my opinion, I don't mind working on a bike because the brute/can-am both have amazing power comparatively.

don't get it twisted though...honda will outlast all of the above combined...I just can't deal with the lack of power.


Great comparisons and I agree.....but I ride a 500 cc Honda bike and I get all the power I need.  How much power do you need when you are riding in deep water....i like knowing my bike is built like a tank

Deep, nasty mud.....ya I wouldn't mind the extra power there
2006 Honda Foreman
26 inch swamp lites
ITP black series 7 rims
Triangle snorkel
Custom Waterproof Stereo

:::LET IT EAT:::

MudMan

Quote from: r6realtor on November 04, 2008, 10:29:22 AM
I personally think all the brands have really stepped up in reliabiltiy ecspecially yamaha I trully feel like they are on par with Honda but they just have much more performance. Although Iam waiting for honda to produce something awesome in the sidexside market like there old pilot just in 2seats, the new big red is not what I had in mind for a sxs and it's a massive pig.

All brands can be reliable depending on how you ride and how you take care of your bike but Yamaha is by no means on par with Honda when it comes to reliability.....no brand is.  Put the Honda Foreman up against any bike and its no contest. 

If the other brands were just as reliable then Honda wouldn't make very many sales.....when someone wants reliability they buy Honda.....thats how they sell their bikes.....they know they give up a bit in performance but thats the trade-off they make and I won't argue with them one bit
2006 Honda Foreman
26 inch swamp lites
ITP black series 7 rims
Triangle snorkel
Custom Waterproof Stereo

:::LET IT EAT:::

r6realtor

I bet ya if the honda's had more power they wouldn't be as reliable either, more power, more breakage.
I also feel like the older yami's definitely are not on par with honda but just my opinion and experience the new ones are or atleast are getting there. again just my opinion.
If you take the HONDA sales and disect them you will see the #1 seller is the rancher and pretty much always has been Well atleast it was years ago when I looked online??? and the main reason is because of the price range "Bang for the buck" of course reliabilty helps but thats why honda sells alot as well, that price range. You can actually look up online the statistics from there sales and see there market share and which bikes sell the most. Even though honda is old school technology it works and it sells for sure plus it's priced right.
2011 Polaris Ranger Pursuit camo 800
27" radial outlaws, diesel wheels 2"emp lift, FTD roof, multi mount winch

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700

IXIswamperIXI

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

jrpro130

I can never have too much power...I don't think there is such a thing :) I can always use the power, even in water, front end pops up easier :)
08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods

FoxRider450r

I already have an 05 Honda 450R with many aftermarket add ons, such as K&N filter, Big Gun exhaust with head pipe, Stage 2 Jet Kit (170 Jet ran with no air box lid) Stage 2 Hot Cam, DynaTek CDI ignition box with 3 position timing curve, and a Hy-Flow water pump.  It has Razr tires all the way around, and renthal bars.  It has plenty of power, but I am looking for a utility for mud and water, so I can have the best of both worlds.  I just want a little extra power than Honda offers thats why I wanted to add the programmer and a few bolt ons to add a little extra HP.  I am a Honda fan all the way so I am steering towards the Rincon for the reliability and durability. 

RIN24

2006 HONDA RINCON 680 14" Black SS108 Rims 27" XTR Tires RD 3" Lift RAMSEY 2500 WINCH MOOSE FRONT BUMPER Kimpex rear box 2009 HONDA BIG RED SXS 14" Black SS212 Rims XTR Tires Warn XT30 Winch

rinconpete

I've only owned two bikes in my lifetime the first was probably the last great race bike an 88 suzuki 250R which I did some work to and was untouchable. when I decided it was time for a new toy later in life I looked at all the problems and what consistantly broke on their grizzleys. Finally I asked a buddy which I greatly respect his opinion and he told me that if he were to trade the grizz in right now he would buy a rincon, no belts, higher mounted air intake shaft driven........ So I bought one and I love it, stock and I had it up to 62 and have no problems hanging with the grizz. Speed, mud, water its all about how well a good rider knows his bike and how it talks to him. JMO
Ride every day like its your last!

06 RINCON GPSCAPE
05 GMC w/6inch FABTEC lift sitting on 36in MT's
RRPOA MEMBER

jrpro130

No offense, but people that knock belts either a. don't know how to ride a belt driven bike, b. don't maintain the belt drive system, or c. have 0 experience with them.

With a belt driven bike (with the exception of yamaha, the cvt is different), you are either a. on the gas, or b. off the gas.  when you feather the throttle, all your doing is skipping the belt and heating it up.  A LOT of people do not know this.  Everyone complains about burning belts and how much less reliable they are...I'd rather replace a 54 dollar belt than over 1k$ transmission.


If you want 8" of ground clearance, go with shaft driven SRA...but I need more than 8" GC...I'm a little over double that right now and I need every dang inch. 

All it boils down to is what you want out of it.  I'm not bashing Honda, I'd get one as a second bike/trail bike, but it's just not what I want/need.  If Honda had a higher performance v-twin and such, I'd buy one in a heartbeat...it just so happens that can am and Kawasaki make those v-twins :)


I know there are quite a few IRS hondas, and they hold their own, I'm not knocking honda in general.  Just not my cup of tea, I love working on bikes and I'd rather work on a fast bike and properly maintain it, than not worry about maint. and repairs and have a mediocre bike.  It doesn't matter what you call it, honda, kawi, etc, if it's fast it's fast. 

I don't want to create arguments, but no stock bike weather it be a grizzly or rincon is good in mud.  You need tires, snorkels, and most likely a lift to be competing with the big boys.  It's 70 percent rider 20 percent bike, 10 percent how you maintain your bike :) I'm all about maintinance
08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com