Differential plug is stripping

Started by mudman8024, March 07, 2005, 12:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudman8024

The oil drain plug on the front differential off my Big Bear is stripping out.  The plug itself is fine, its the case that is stripping out.  I can still thread the plug in, and get it tight enough to not leak.  However it feels soft and won't tighten like it should.  I am considering using a heli coil, or maybe taping it and using a pipe plug.  Any Suggestions?  Thanx.

sk8r_dude

The dealer stripped the front Diff on my Kodiak on the first service. They helicoiled it and it still dripped a little. In the end, they had to replace the front diff case to solve the problem. Since they caused the problem, they ate the cost. It is my understanding this is common on Yamaha diff cases as the metal used is crap and strips easily.
05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunkĀ 

[url="http://www.beachinlineskates.com/"]http://www.beachinlineskates.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.123skate.com/"]http://www.123skate.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/"]http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/[/url]
[url="http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com"]http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com[/url]

mudman8024

That sucks.  At least the dealer had to fix it instead pff coming out of our pocket.  I went ahead and put it back in with some threadlock.  I'll see how this works.  The next step is tapping it out and using a pipe plug.