Main Menu

Jeeps

Started by Fox17, February 25, 2008, 01:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox17

I may be in the market for a Jeep soon pending what insurance says. It will need to be a cheaper one. Like $4000.00 or less.

It seems that there are so many different models of them. Are the different models just related to different years? Like a CJ this year through this year and a TJ this year through this year and so on? So what years are the best? Keeping the price range in mind, I probably cant get the most sought after year Im just concerned with reliability. Heck, are they even reliable vehicles?

What engine is the best to get? I perfer a 4 cyl unless the 6 cyl gets good gas mileage. I will be driving 45mins on the beeline every day for about a year so mileage is important. I definately want a 5-speed too. Keep in mind reliability.

Im gonna look for one with a hard top. Are there any other things to look for? Im not gonna make it a hard core offroad truck. Just a driver that is capable if it has to be and looks good.

I think there are a lot of Jeep guys on here so I figured Id ask. Thanks for any help.

Young Gun

Jeeps reliability is insane, thats why they keep their value so much.  Our Liberty that we recently traded in was an 04 with close to 50k on the clock.  It was bought brand new for 22k I think and we got trade-in value at 16 or 17.  Private party value is even more I'm guessing.

I'd say get the 6cyl just for the extra power... the 4cyl crack will get to ya.  Our current Jeep is a 4cyl and it has no balls, our previous one had a V6 and it took off pretty good and got probably 17mpg city.

Ask Donkey about one, he seems to be the one with the older Jeep hookups.
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Mudneck

[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Fox17

Quote from: bushwacker on February 25, 2008, 08:11:28 AM
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31532.0.html

that would be a sweet toy but i need a daily driver. ill be driving 70-80 mph daily back and forth to school.

backwoods boy

ive heard good things about the inline six ;)
NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING

ProEMTPFF

The 4.0 I-6 is near bulletproof. I'd look for a CJ or a TJ "real jeeps have round headlights". Also, the TJ has nice suspension and rides like a dream.
2007 Yamaha Rhino   27" Maxxis Mudzillas on STI Black Wheels


[url="http://www.4x4country.net"]http://www.4x4country.net[/url]

Fox17

Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:16:53 PM
The 4.0 I-6 is near bulletproof. I'd look for a CJ or a TJ "real jeeps have round headlights". Also, the TJ has nice suspension and rides like a dream.

what kind of mileage would a I-6 get with a stick?

and whats wrong with YJs?

and do they all have strait axles?

Mudneck

How about this one for $3800?

95 yj about 150k miles a/c 5 speed 31" tires Runs strong


[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

ProEMTPFF

#8
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......remember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.
2007 Yamaha Rhino   27" Maxxis Mudzillas on STI Black Wheels


[url="http://www.4x4country.net"]http://www.4x4country.net[/url]

Mudneck

Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

Sounds like you know a thing or two about Jeeps,you own one?
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

big-daddy

The JY between 91 and 95 come with a 4.0 6cly with 180 hp, so I can see gas been an issue. people didn't like them because for the squared headlights.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

TRX470r

I just sold my 87' Wrangler V6 4.2L 4x4 for 3,500 and now i am regretting it. Needed cash at the time. I don't even know how many miles it had. Well over 100k and it ran perfect!!! I used it as a daily driver for a couple of months, gas mileage wasn't great but I never had a problem mechanically. Jeeps last for ever!!!
05' Honda TRX450r  FTR #8  +30C

big-daddy

Well.... wrangler are a dime dozen, i can pick one right now in mint with hard top, a/c and winch for $6,000.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

ProEMTPFF

Yes, I've owned several "8" Jeeps.
2007 Yamaha Rhino   27" Maxxis Mudzillas on STI Black Wheels


[url="http://www.4x4country.net"]http://www.4x4country.net[/url]

Joedirt

I like my Jeeps pre-1990...LOL
2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: TRX470r on February 25, 2008, 05:18:32 PM
I just sold my 87' Wrangler V6 4.2L 4x4 for 3,500 and now i am regretting it. Needed cash at the time. I don't even know how many miles it had. Well over 100k and it ran perfect!!! I used it as a daily driver for a couple of months, gas mileage wasn't great but I never had a problem mechanically. Jeeps last for ever!!!

Wranglers do not have a v6..sorry the 4.2 is a I6.  The only v6 in a jeep was a odd fire dauntles early 70's.

SWAMP_DONKEY

#16
Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

ALL JEEPS have straight axles "M" series Mutt the only exception (but they were all cut in half when decomissioned) CJ, YJ, TJ...doesn't matter. You are correct about the YJ not being considered a real jeep. But they are however VERY capable off road they have wider leafs than the CJ, for more stability and articulation on and off road. They also unfortunately have a Dana 35 C-clip axle that is weaker than the AMC 20 or Dana 44 in the CJ. The CJ from 82 to 86 had a wide track axle front and rear and make them more desirable. CJ-7's are much harder to find and more expensive but still available and affordable with time to look. The YJ started in 87 with a I6 4.2 still carburetor until 90 when they started with fuel injection. The YJ is more affordable than almost any jeep other than the CJ-5. Please let me know if you have any Q's about Jeeps. I have owned over 20 and built 100's.

Mudneck

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on February 28, 2008, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

ALL JEEPS have straight axles "M" series Mutt the only exception (but they were all cut in half when decomissioned) CJ, YJ, TJ...doesn't matter. You are correct about the YJ not being considered a real jeep. But they are however VERY capable off road they have wider leafs than the CJ, for more stability and articulation on and off road. They also unfortunately have a Dana 35 C-clip axle that is weaker than the AMC 20 or Dana 44 in the CJ. The CJ from 82 to 86 had a wide track axle front and rear and make them more desirable. CJ-7's are much harder to find and more expensive but still available and affordable with time to look. The YJ started in 87 with a I6 4.2 still carburetor until 90 when they started with fuel injection. The YJ is more affordable than almost any jeep other than the CJ-5. Please let me know if you have any Q's about Jeeps. I have owned over 20 and built 100's.

Sounds like you know a thing or two about Jeeps,you own one? YOu need a real Jeep 57 YO!
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Fox17

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on February 28, 2008, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

ALL JEEPS have straight axles "M" series Mutt the only exception (but they were all cut in half when decomissioned) CJ, YJ, TJ...doesn't matter. You are correct about the YJ not being considered a real jeep. But they are however VERY capable off road they have wider leafs than the CJ, for more stability and articulation on and off road. They also unfortunately have a Dana 35 C-clip axle that is weaker than the AMC 20 or Dana 44 in the CJ. The CJ from 82 to 86 had a wide track axle front and rear and make them more desirable. CJ-7's are much harder to find and more expensive but still available and affordable with time to look. The YJ started in 87 with a I6 4.2 still carburetor until 90 when they started with fuel injection. The YJ is more affordable than almost any jeep other than the CJ-5. Please let me know if you have any Q's about Jeeps. I have owned over 20 and built 100's.

What is wrong with CJ-5s? just not as desirable? they are still good dependable trucks that are capable offroad if they need to be right? i doubt i can get a post yj jeep unless i find a great deal. ill probably look for a CJ-5. whats the difference in a 5 and 7?

ProEMTPFF

Wheelbase, CJ-7 is longer than the CJ-5.
2007 Yamaha Rhino   27" Maxxis Mudzillas on STI Black Wheels


[url="http://www.4x4country.net"]http://www.4x4country.net[/url]

big-daddy

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on February 28, 2008, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

ALL JEEPS have straight axles "M" series Mutt the only exception (but they were all cut in half when decomissioned) CJ, YJ, TJ...doesn't matter. You are correct about the YJ not being considered a real jeep. But they are however VERY capable off road they have wider leafs than the CJ, for more stability and articulation on and off road. They also unfortunately have a Dana 35 C-clip axle that is weaker than the AMC 20 or Dana 44 in the CJ. The CJ from 82 to 86 had a wide track axle front and rear and make them more desirable. CJ-7's are much harder to find and more expensive but still available and affordable with time to look. The YJ started in 87 with a I6 4.2 still carburetor until 90 when they started with fuel injection. The YJ is more affordable than almost any jeep other than the CJ-5. Please let me know if you have any Q's about Jeeps. I have owned over 20 and built 100's.

Wide tracks are 80 to 86........ Mr Willis ;)  Now go find me mind
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

wilburz

it does not matter what jeep you have if you are a street queen!
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Mudneck

#22
Quote from: bushwacker on February 25, 2008, 04:38:16 PM
How about this one for $3800?

95 yj about 142k miles a/c 5 speed 31" tires Runs strong




Not interested? Going to the auction tomorrow
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

SWAMP_DONKEY

#23
Quote from: Fox17 on February 29, 2008, 01:21:43 AM
Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on February 28, 2008, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

ALL JEEPS have straight axles "M" series Mutt the only exception (but they were all cut in half when decomissioned) CJ, YJ, TJ...doesn't matter. You are correct about the YJ not being considered a real jeep. But they are however VERY capable off road they have wider leafs than the CJ, for more stability and articulation on and off road. They also unfortunately have a Dana 35 C-clip axle that is weaker than the AMC 20 or Dana 44 in the CJ. The CJ from 82 to 86 had a wide track axle front and rear and make them more desirable. CJ-7's are much harder to find and more expensive but still available and affordable with time to look. The YJ started in 87 with a I6 4.2 still carburetor until 90 when they started with fuel injection. The YJ is more affordable than almost any jeep other than the CJ-5. Please let me know if you have any Q's about Jeeps. I have owned over 20 and built 100's.

What is wrong with CJ-5s? just not as desirable? they are still good dependable trucks that are capable offroad if they need to be right? i doubt i can get a post yj jeep unless i find a great deal. ill probably look for a CJ-5. whats the difference in a 5 and 7?
CJ-7
The CJ-7 was produced from 1976 until 1986 and was basically a stretched CJ-5 featuring a wheelbase of 93.4 inches, 10 inches longer than the CJ-5.  The extra 10" was added behind the front seats and allowed AMC to offer an automatic transmission for the first time in a CJ.  379,299 CJ-7 Jeeps were produced in the 11 years of production.  A CJ-7 tub can be identified by the shape of the door opening, the opening is square where as the CJ-5 has a curving, "S" shaped door opening.   


 

The CJ-7 used a fully boxed frame, which was stronger than frames used in earlier CJs.  Stability was also improved with the CJ-7 by widening the frame in the rear and a swaybar as well as a steering stabilizer were added to improve on-road handling.  In 1982, The CJ-7 received wider axles, known as Wide-Track axles which further improved stability on and offroad.   It should be noted that the Wide-Track axles are for the most part interchangeable with the earlier 1976 thru 1981 CJ narrow-track axles Sorry to prove you wrong Ricky. ;)

The largest diff is wheel base and the entry. the 5 is very difficult to get it if you are a larger guy. There is nothing wrong with the 5 they are very capable Jeeps. I have a 1984 Jeep CJ-7 for 5500.00 if you are looking for a quality Jeep. 6cyl 4spd.

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: big-daddy on February 29, 2008, 06:53:52 AM
Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on February 28, 2008, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: ProEMTPFF on February 25, 2008, 04:47:20 PM
CJs and YJs have strait axles. Jeep people never considered the YJ a "real" Jeep. Most were made by AMC General and had serveral problems. Gas milage with a 4.0 I-6 well I forget......rember what ever motor you get gas milage isn't great.......your pushing a "box" down the road.

ALL JEEPS have straight axles "M" series Mutt the only exception (but they were all cut in half when decomissioned) CJ, YJ, TJ...doesn't matter. You are correct about the YJ not being considered a real jeep. But they are however VERY capable off road they have wider leafs than the CJ, for more stability and articulation on and off road. They also unfortunately have a Dana 35 C-clip axle that is weaker than the AMC 20 or Dana 44 in the CJ. The CJ from 82 to 86 had a wide track axle front and rear and make them more desirable. CJ-7's are much harder to find and more expensive but still available and affordable with time to look. The YJ started in 87 with a I6 4.2 still carburetor until 90 when they started with fuel injection. The YJ is more affordable than almost any jeep other than the CJ-5. Please let me know if you have any Q's about Jeeps. I have owned over 20 and built 100's.

Wide tracks are 80 to 86........ Mr Willis ;)  Now go find me mind

WRONG!!!  82 to 86 do yer reserch :D

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com