Polaris Belt Change

Started by 05greengriz, April 03, 2005, 07:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05greengriz

Alright Polaris people, my in-laws belt broke on a 04 500 H.O. ATP. I have the case off and the remnets of the belt clear. What is all involved in installing a new one?
Thanks in advance.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

Chuck_Norris

Yunt2 would be the one to tell ya.

wired2ride

a new belt? just the actual belt connecting the idk what ever they are.. 2 wheels (not actual tires) you just replace the belt if it broke? you probaly have to take of the rear wheel to slip the belt on n to the other one. it is easy to get off and on. ?i think? i dont have a 500 but i do have a 700 and a 325. I had the whole thing off working on the starter. but taking the rear wheel thingy and putting the belt on that one hten slipping it onto the other wheel and then back inot place is easy. Idk how to remove the first one. the rear only has one long bolt on the magnum i got

05greengriz

Thanks Chuck and Wired. The belt was broke when I got inside, I am just curious as to whether or not the drive or driven clutch has to be removed to install the new belt.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

IT200

No neither clutch has to be removed. Just put the bike in gear lock the brake. have a rubber griped tool that you can pry with ready. Place the belt over the primary pulley.Grab the inner sheave of the driven clutch and turn it about a quarter turn counter clockwise and hold in place. grab your rubber coated tool and place between the sheaves (rubber end against the sheaves so you dont damage the sheaves) pry the inner sheave towards the bike when the sheaves open place the lower half of the belt as far up into the sheaves as possible to hold the sheaves open. Take out your pry tool and work the belt in over the top
Polaris 500 4x4
Yamaha Warrior
Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400

Truegrit

It svery easy. I ttakes longer to remove the cover then replace the belt. You really can swap belts without tools, if you can put the belt in to the secondary clutch (rear) first then pull it deep into it towards the pulley. The you will be able to start it onto the Primary pulley (front). It reall yquite simple. Once you do it the firat time you will understand and have no further probs w/ installation.
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

05greengriz

Excellent guy's, that's what i'm talkin about, when someone has a problem everyone tries to help, and or does. Once again thank you all [smiley=drink.gif]
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

yunt2ride

QuoteIt svery easy. I ttakes longer to remove the cover then replace the belt. You really can swap belts without tools, if you can put the belt in to the secondary clutch (rear) first then pull it deep into it towards the pulley. The you will be able to start it onto the Primary pulley (front). It reall yquite simple. Once you do it the firat time you will understand and have no further probs w/ installation.


This is how I do it on my 325. If I remember right I leave the gear in neutral so that the pulley will roll and the belt just slides right on. You can alos get belts from the auto parts store a little cheaper. I got mine at NAPA and I think I got a better belt and saved $5. They will need you old part number to cross over the parts.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

05greengriz

Thanks Yunt, my belt won't be in until wednesday, so I'll keep you posted when I get it.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

Truegrit

The Dayco belt Highlifter sells is supossedly the strongest, and cheaper than OEM, check that out too.
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

05greengriz

I will check highlifter truegrit, thanks.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

TOY_DOCTOR

One thing to keep in mind is why did it break in the first place, You should check the alignment of the primary and secondary clutches and also make sure the belt is tensioned properly, this is done by shimming the secondary clutch..If all this is good the belt should last a long time...KEN
TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's

05greengriz

Well the 26's just got put on, and a girl was riding it in the mud, got stuck, and never let off the gas. I saw it smoke and found pieces of the belt that was forced out of the tranny exhaust. The weird thing about it was that I couldn't figure out were the belt was coming from until I took the case off.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

yunt2ride

I think the belt that I got from NAPA was a dayco belt also.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

05greengriz

Thanks everyone. The worst part was putting the floorboard back together. Had the belt on in 20 seconds.
                              [smiley=drink.gif]
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http