High mileage on a diesel ?

Started by 1FasterBlaster, July 18, 2007, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FasterBlaster

  I was thinking about purchasing a 96 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel. It has over 290,000 miles. Is this considered a lot for a diesel?

cutngrs

no not realy  whats the rest of the truck look like thats what i would  worry about
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on July 18, 2007, 10:12:58 PM
  I was thinking about purchasing a 96 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel. It has over 290,000 miles. Is this considered a lot for a diesel?

6.5...... RRRUUUNNNN as fast as you can!!!! I dont care if it has 50K miles on her!!!

kfx400rob

thats not too high for a diesel, but it is for a 6.5, that wast gm's greatest diesel.
i would look for one with lower miles if i wanted a 6.5.
06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.

1FasterBlaster

#4
   The truck looks very clean, almost garage kept. I'm worried about the miles though. I thought you were gonna call me Swamp. Whatcha got over there?

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on July 18, 2007, 10:36:58 PM
  The truck looks very clean, almost garage kept. I'm worried about the miles though. I thought you were gonna call me Swamp. Whatcha got over there?

Sorry bro. Bob Evans is one of my sales reps and he had a Heart attack Sunday, they had to send him to Orlando today his Heart is failing him. Call me in the AM @ 863-382-AUTO.

1FasterBlaster

  I'm also looking at a 2000 Ford F250XLT ext cab v-10 for $8000.

cutngrs

i have a 98 gmc suburban  with a 6.5    that is right at 200,000 and the motor runs like it did the day we got it   its my wife's and if you ask her she loves it and will keep a nother 200,000
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

1FasterBlaster

  I hope so. It looks really nice. I like the old school GM look. It's a 4 door also which I like. What kind of problems -if any- have you had with it; minor, or major?

cutngrs

dyno don on this site has  97 ithink is the year f 250 ford with a  7.3 powerstroke that run like a raped ape for i think 10,000
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: cutngrs on July 18, 2007, 10:47:37 PM
dyno don on this site has  97 ithink is the year f 250 ford with a  7.3 powerstroke that run like a raped ape for i think 10,000

That is a GREAT engine!!

1FasterBlaster

  What about the V-10? I'm on a budget too, so I'm trying to keep the prices down.

cutngrs

i have a ford my self an 03 with a 6.0 that has 170,000 on it with no problems
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

RedPred05

Ford V10 or Dodge V10, well it dosent really matter they are both junk.  I know the ford v10 is only good for 80k to 100k after that---well pretty much nothing.  Stick with the 7.3 powerstroke---bulletproof and worth the extra money.

dynodon

Mine is a F350,7.3lt, 5 speed 4x4 xlt, standard cab with 175k on it , also has the rails for a fifth wheel or goose neck hitch in the bed,for 10k.
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on July 18, 2007, 10:50:50 PM
  What about the V-10? I'm on a budget too, so I'm trying to keep the prices down.

V10 is an AWESOME engine with gobs of tourque and they are bullet proof...but they like to drink ;)

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: dynodon on July 18, 2007, 10:57:17 PM
Mine is a F350,7.3lt, 5 speed 4x4 xlt, standard cab with 175k on it , also has the rails for a fifth wheel or goose neck hitch in the bed,for 10k.

Heck of a truck...and a great price.

Bigscrb15

I gotta agree the 7.3 is the most reliable engine. However, their transmissions have had trouble. Not too much to worry about though. I would go with the 7.3 unless you can afford a duramax
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

RedPred05

I just found the specs on a gm 6.5.  Look at gm-diesel.com. 

rwhp=190 to 215

tourque=380 to 440

Although the GM 6.5 may be reliable and ive seen them come into my old job with 300k it seems to be a little under powered compared to most full size trucks.  The first thing to go will be the injector pump, not cheap even refurbuished.

1FasterBlaster

  Because my budget is limited, the two possible choices I have so far is the Chevy 6.5 diesel, or the 2000 Ford V-10. If the Chevy can handle 10,000 lbs, I'll most likely go with it.

lawn_man mx

   the v10  is  a hell  of a truck !!!!  i sold  one  of my trucks a  99 f250  v10  150.000 miles  ran  awesome .  i  was so  happy  with the  first one   so  i bought  another one . 05 f350  i love this truck  tons  of power   torqshift tranny   i  pull my toyhauler  with  ease !!!!    the only  down fall  with  the older ones  is the gas milege  other than that  they're  solid  motors  !!!
05 yfz houser hiper  elka rpm alba   03 cr125   05 f350 fx4     braaauuuupppp !!!!  ftr +30B #58

1FasterBlaster


KB

Chino, check out www.chevytruckworld.com , they have a board's for either gas engines or diesel engines, maybe do a search on that year & motor & see what comes up about it.

Chillinthemost

Quote from: JohnF on July 19, 2007, 01:03:44 AM
you WILL get 10mpg or less with the V10 ford, dont know for sure about the dodge but hear its just as bad
So, thats what you get with a real truck. Diesels only get a few mpg better and cost a LOT more.
Quote from: lawn_man mx on July 19, 2007, 12:32:28 AM
   the v10  is  a hell  of a truck !!!!  i sold  one  of my trucks a  99 f250  v10  150.000 miles  ran  awesome .  i  was so  happy  with the  first one   so  i bought  another one . 05 f350  i love this truck  tons  of power   torqshift tranny   i  pull my toyhauler  with  ease !!!!    the only  down fall  with  the older ones  is the gas milege  other than that  they're  solid  motors  !!!
I agree, my wifes Excursion is a v10 and it has 120k on it and runs great.
Quote from: RedPred05 on July 18, 2007, 10:55:55 PM
Ford V10 or Dodge V10, well it dosent really matter they are both junk.  I know the ford v10 is only good for 80k to 100k after that---well pretty much nothing.  Stick with the 7.3 powerstroke---bulletproof and worth the extra money.
You dont know what you are talking about.




Chino, what are you going to be doing with this truck? The 6.5 gm doesnt really have a bad rep. it just doesnt have much power. Powerwise it probably would be similiar to a small block gas.
   If you want a good strong reliable work truck, Dons truck would be a great choice or any Chevy or Ford gas truck with a manual tranny. In my opinion all autos that are asked to work are on borrowed time, and diesels are very expensive to repair.

     This is Chillin and I approve this message.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

MATT1969


DOITHARD

In my opinion, and if you can afford it...Cummings 5.9  is the way to go.  I bought a new 2004 4x4 sb ext cab...and pull a 40 ft toyhauler with no problem...w/78k miles so far not one problem.

Smoknbanshee

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on July 18, 2007, 10:41:15 PM
Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on July 18, 2007, 10:36:58 PM
   The truck looks very clean, almost garage kept. I'm worried about the miles though. I thought you were gonna call me Swamp. Whatcha got over there?

Sorry bro. Bob Evans is one of my sales reps and he had a Heart attack Sunday, they had to send him to Orlando today his Heart is failing him. Call me in the AM @ 863-382-AUTO.

was bob evans a raymond forklift salesman a few years ago swamp?  if so, pm me.  i bought several lifts from a guy named bob evans from raymond handling.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

Smoknbanshee

Quote from: Chillinthemost on July 19, 2007, 05:17:00 PM
Quote from: JohnF on July 19, 2007, 01:03:44 AM
you WILL get 10mpg or less with the V10 ford, dont know for sure about the dodge but hear its just as bad
So, thats what you get with a real truck. Diesels only get a few mpg better and cost a LOT more.
Quote from: lawn_man mx on July 19, 2007, 12:32:28 AM
   the v10  is  a hell  of a truck !!!!  i sold  one  of my trucks a  99 f250  v10  150.000 miles  ran  awesome .  i  was so  happy  with the  first one   so  i bought  another one . 05 f350  i love this truck  tons  of power   torqshift tranny   i  pull my toyhauler  with  ease !!!!    the only  down fall  with  the older ones  is the gas milege  other than that  they're  solid  motors  !!!
I agree, my wifes Excursion is a v10 and it has 120k on it and runs great.
Quote from: RedPred05 on July 18, 2007, 10:55:55 PM
Ford V10 or Dodge V10, well it dosent really matter they are both junk.  I know the ford v10 is only good for 80k to 100k after that---well pretty much nothing.  Stick with the 7.3 powerstroke---bulletproof and worth the extra money.
You dont know what you are talking about.




Chino, what are you going to be doing with this truck? The 6.5 gm doesnt really have a bad rep. it just doesnt have much power. Powerwise it probably would be similiar to a small block gas.
   If you want a good strong reliable work truck, Dons truck would be a great choice or any Chevy or Ford gas truck with a manual tranny. In my opinion all autos that are asked to work are on borrowed time, and diesels are very expensive to repair.

     This is Chillin and I approve this message.

chillin, i know you have a bad taste in your mouth with auto trannies, but my dad and i myself have had good luck with them.  change fluid every 20k miles, run synthetic, and install a shift kit.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

AmericanRobster

Quote from: DOITHARD on July 19, 2007, 09:04:53 PM
In my opinion, and if you can afford it...Cummings 5.9  is the way to go.  I bought a new 2004 4x4 sb ext cab...and pull a 40 ft toyhauler with no problem...w/78k miles so far not one problem.

Those are awesome motors! When my dad had his bussiness way back in the day, he soley used Cummins powered dump trucks.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Chillinthemost

Quote from: MATT1969 on July 19, 2007, 07:08:32 PM
get a cummins.
Problem with that is that in order to get a Cummins you also have to drive a dodge. ;D
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

DOITHARD

Hey, we can't please everyone...like I said, been pulling a heavy TH and no problems...transmission, etc.  We are headed to Cherokee NF in Augusts...We'll see what happens in the mountains.

cutngrs

here we go my trucks better then yours       :o ;D  lol
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

Chillinthemost

Quote from: cutngrs on July 19, 2007, 10:25:24 PM
here we go my trucks better then yours       :o ;D  lol
These subjects always go off topic.  Just be careful Chino the high mileage diesel repair bills can be mucho$$$$$$$$. The old days of mechanical injected naturally aspirated easy to repair diesels are long gone. Todays diesels are much more powerful and better in every way, until they break.
I'm not trashing diesels, thats what I've had for the last 8 years and I love them, but they arent for everyone.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

MuddFreak77

Quote from: Chillinthemost on July 19, 2007, 09:43:59 PM
Quote from: MATT1969 on July 19, 2007, 07:08:32 PM
get a cummins.
Problem with that is that in order to get a Cummins you also have to drive a dodge. ;D

Thats if you buy one from a stealership      ;) ;)
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Chillinthemost

Freak, are you coming to the sled pulls Sat. night?
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

cutngrs

Quote from: Chillinthemost on July 19, 2007, 10:46:29 PM
Quote from: cutngrs on July 19, 2007, 10:25:24 PM
here we go my trucks better then yours       :o ;D  lol
These subjects always go off topic.  Just be careful Chino the high mileage diesel repair bills can be mucho$$$$$$$$. The old days of mechanical injected naturally aspirated easy to repair diesels are long gone. Todays diesels are much more powerful and better in every way, until they break.
I'm not trashing diesels, thats what I've had for the last 8 years and I love them, but they arent for everyone.



thats what happend on the first page ::)
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

MuddFreak77

Quote from: Chillinthemost on July 19, 2007, 11:07:22 PM
Freak, are you coming to the sled pulls Sat. night?

I'm trying to decide to go to the sled pulls or go to my camp and ride.  I'm kinda leaning to the sled pulls
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

1FasterBlaster

  As of right now, I ruled out on the  "96"  6.5 Diesel Chevy, and the "94" 454 Chevy Dually. I found a "99" F350 7.3 turbo diesel supercab dually for $13,000. w/ 146,000 miles. Somebody hooked it up a little bit then traded it in. It's really clean and has some aftermarket upgrades.
   I'm using it for pulling boats and other things across the country. Do you think this will be the truck to use?

1FasterBlaster

 Oh, and if anyone is interested in my Tahoe, I'll be lowering the price drastically to get rid of it. :'( :'( :'( :'(  She will be missed!!

MuddFreak77

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on July 20, 2007, 01:12:45 AM
  As of right now, I ruled out on the  "96"  6.5 Diesel Chevy, and the "94" 454 Chevy Dually. I found a "99" F350 7.3 turbo diesel supercab dually for $13,000. w/ 146,000 miles. Somebody hooked it up a little bit then traded it in. It's really clean and has some aftermarket upgrades.
   I'm using it for pulling boats and other things across the country. Do you think this will be the truck to use?


Chino that is a GREAT truck!!!  Find out if it's an early 99 or late 99.  There were some differances between the 2 models.  Like brakes and wheel bearing hub assemblies.  Is the Ford a 4x4 or 2wd?
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

1FasterBlaster


SWAMP_DONKEY

2001 V10 F250 4x4 crew cab with 8 inches of lift and new (brand new) 38x15.50x 16.5 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips Leather loaded with 78000 Miles White and Tan with Awesome Stereo and LOOKS SWEET!!

       17900.00

1FasterBlaster

  Thanks. I already went over what I was going too. But when I saw this one, I had to have it.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com