My experience in Big Cypress this weekend

Started by lswjth2, January 21, 2007, 09:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lswjth2

Just wanted everyone to know, that if you ride out in Big Cypress, abide by all the rules. I went out to my camp on Saturday and a friend of mine took a friend of his. Long story short, on the way back to the trucks after a day of riding,three NPS officers were at Monroe station, they asked to see the ORV permits,check, back country permits, check, ORV DRIVERS LICENCE, everyone had theirs except my friends friend. Result= $250.00 fine and it's a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row when going there......

Scramdaddy

Sounds very profitable for them. I'll never go there. Thanks for the heads up.
2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  [url="//gen3usa.com"]Gen3usa.com[/url]

eldiablo64

what the hell is an ORV DRIVERS LISCENSE never heard of one before
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

lswjth2

If you operate any kind of motorized vehicle inside the preserve(ATV,Swampbuggy,Truck), you need the NPS  DL, not just the state of FL.

eldiablo64

so its just another way ffor them to steal your hard earned money !that figures
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

1FasterBlaster

   Looks like that's how our future is going to be.If you want to ride, you'll have to pay.It's the American way!!

Kawa3

where exactly do you get the ORV drivers license?
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

Anoriginal

Hey lswjth2! Where's your camp down there? Mines up around the Little Deer Airstrip.

I am very happy that the NPS is finally cracking down on the ORV rules. Last year I was unloading at Monroe Station getting ready to head into camp. While I was there two trucks full of guys pulled in with their trailers loaded with bikes. Nice folks. I talked to them while they unloaded. It was June, so I knew that the Big Cypress was closed to anyone not having a special use permit (which I have). I noticed their bikes were not tagged for the Big Cypress and asked them about the lack of tags and whether or not they had a special use permit. They were very surprised to find out they needed permits and that the park was closed. They thanked me for the info and then loaded back up and headed home to Miami.

Not two months later, I was headed back into my camp on my buggy when I was passed by four guys on bikes hauling azz (15mph speed limit in the park). None of the bikes were permitted and I doubt they had their ORV licenses. Prior to this incident, a friend of mine was at his camp (less than one mile from mine) when a group of 12 riders on bikes pulled up into his camp around 10 p.m. All were drunk out of their minds and informed my buddy that they came in from Monroe Station that morning and went all the way to the alley and were now trying to find their way back. None of the bikes were tagged and my buddy asked these guys about it. He was informed that they didn't know anything about the permits and that none of them had the ORV license. They tore off into the night (ORV use is prohibited after 10 p.m.) headed south. That's the last we saw of them.

I spoke with the NPS and some of the game wardens this past fall while at my camp. They are making a concerted effort to patrol the area to prevent unauthorized use and improper use. They seldon issue warnings. The tickets are hefty and because it is Federal land, they do not need to warn you first priot to seizing your ATV, Buggy and tow vehicle. They can and will do it. So, if you're planning on riding the Big Cypress, please abide by the rules and respect it. It's a nice place to visit.

Bigscrb15

Anoriginal, I would like to visit it, but no one has ever taken me to their camp!!!!!


lswjth2, nice to see you just inform people to get everything straight before going there, unlike most of the people on this site. They would have been like "the stupid government gave me a ticket for breaking the law! we should protest against them."
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

dynodon

Quote from: Bigscrb15 on January 22, 2007, 09:29:43 AM
Anoriginal, I would like to visit it, but no one has ever taken me to their camp!!!!!


lswjth2, nice to see you just inform people to get everything straight before going there, unlike most of the people on this site. They would have been like "the stupid government gave me a ticket for breaking the law! we should protest against them."
HINT, HINT LMAO ;D ;)
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

Anoriginal

I know guys. I know.
We need to plan a trip in with a few guys. Maybe late February??

Loven It

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com