What's happening on the "Compound" land now?

Started by YFZRob, November 29, 2006, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YFZRob

Anyone know what's actually happening on the "compound" land in Palm Bay?  That was a wonderful place to ride, and I'm still pissed to this day that it's closed.  It was open for fun for decades, and now it's probably out there rotting?  Or am I wrong?  Is it being used for something?? 

This is the type of location that the state needs to jump on and turn into a public riding spot.  There isn't a public riding spot anywhere close to Palm Bay, so it would provide close access to thousands of OHV'ers on the East coast.  But hey, FL hasn't done anything except restrict our riding since 2002 when titles started being issued.  I'm sure the few subdivided lot land owners in Palm Bay out there would love to unload their land.  Most lots I saw for sale out there years ago were $10k...peanuts.  No one wants that land, so the land owners would be greateful if the state were to buy them off them and actually use that land for something productive.
-Robert-
-2009 KTM 525 XC Quad, FTR #8 Quad 30+
-1988 250R, Almost all original
-2006 Rincon 680
-2008 KTM 200 XCW, FTR #78C C-200.

bmd11

The land is being developed out there... but very slowly. Right now its used mainly for people with R/C Airplanes and such. Chances of it reopening any time soon are slim to none. Too many idiots riding out of control, kids getting hurt on overpowered ATVs with no helmets on, riding on private property, etc... The typical stuff that will guarantee a riding place will get shut down.
If you own property/land out there, you can ride.

I miss that area very much too... I used to riding out there at Emerson Lake before it was developed... NOW THAT WAS FUN!!!
Good luck,
BMD
'92 LT250R #11- Sold * * * '96 LT80 #24- For sale * * * '87 LT80 #16- For sale

xr100racer

i never got a chance to ride out there but all my friends said it was an awsome spot. its not to far from me either. is it possible for "someone" to go out there right now and not be immediatly run off by the cops?

backwoods boy

yeah i heard it was good riding out there but never got to go :'( :'( :'( :'(
NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING

PREDOCROSS

The Compound was a pretty cool place. Can-am has a test facility on-site,and the U.S. Military used to train on atv's there. Unfortunately, drinking, crazy riding and injuries forced Palm Bay to close the area to atv's. :( Some folks tried to save it by offering to organize a club and control the area, but Palm Bay wasn't interested.

hammerhead2

Funny to see this post. Just last night my family and I were talking about the Compound and we looked up the area on Google Map's satellite images. It brought back a lot of good memories seeing all those trails on the satellite photos. I agree, it would have been a great place to build a ORV park. Here's a link to the satellite images if anyone is interested.
LINK
Bill

PREDOCROSS

Very cool. You can see the Bombardier/Can-Am building right on the lake(the big one) that is surrounded by trails. I rode out there for years and really miss it.

YFZRob

Hammerhead2...thanks for the link!!  It definitely does bring back memories.  I don't know how old that photo is, but you can still see a lot of the trails that were created in different areas, as well as the overgrown brazilian peppers that almost closed some of the roads.  What a shame  :'(.  That's one of those places that us ATVer's would dream about purchasing if we ever win the lottery  ;D.  Make good use of that land.  I almost considered buying a cheap second home near by in Palm Bay, and would have if that area was designated into a riding spot.  Those homes all around that area cannot be that expensive.
-Robert-
-2009 KTM 525 XC Quad, FTR #8 Quad 30+
-1988 250R, Almost all original
-2006 Rincon 680
-2008 KTM 200 XCW, FTR #78C C-200.

xr100racer