Thunderbowl Speedway of Ocala

Started by fastrnrik, August 19, 2006, 11:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastrnrik

 For the past couple of months there have been alot of questions, several rumors and lots of speculation as to what's happening at Thunderbowl Speedway in Ocala. 

As the new owner of this facility I would like to provide everyone with some correct information. This is just a short rundown, I will post all of the official rules later. As most people know this facility has been plauged by poor management and poor maintenence for a long time. This has now changed.

1) The track IS being rebuilt. Surveying and construction started today. There is new clay being installed, as well as the drainage system repaired. The best track in the world is no good if the rain has no where to go. The banking all the way around has been increased, and the track will be wider. The front straightaway is 35' wide, all turns are 50' wide, and the back straightaway is 40' wide.
2) The bar is CLOSED, and will not re-open as a bar. It will become a concession stand or something of that nature. Biker bars and families racing do not mix. For the first few races there will be no actual concession stand to speak of, due simply to a lack of time. I would rather spend my time fixing the track.
3) There are NO KNOBBIES, front or rear, in any class, allowed at Thunderbowl. I am not making this investment of my time and money so that a few people with knobbies can roost up a virgin track. I will allow the mini's/pee-wee's to run knobbies. If it becomes a problem, I will address it then.
4) The flag man, Ray, will still be there. All the other people that used to "work" there will no longer be affiliated. I will make introductions as to "who's who" on race day. The races will be run as a good race should.   
5) The "mud bog" in the infield has been filled in. The mud trucks can go somewhere else.
6) The place will be cleaned up. the grass in thigh high and there is junk laying everywhere. The chairs will be removed, and the bleachers put up.
7) The following groups will be racing at Thunderbowl: Karts, Quads, Motorcycles, and Mini Sprints. Quads will not race with Karts, due to the sheer number of races make it too long of a night. the Motorcycles will probably race (in their own class/classes)on Quad night, because there aren't that many of them. I'm not certain about the Mini Sprints, as I am still waiting on their schedule.
8) Thunderbowl will be a fun, safe, family oriented facility.
9) The classes that quads run in have changed. Chris (Hoosier Daddy) and Dave (Hillkiller) Ware have worked extremely hard and started an association, the Southern Flat Track League, so that our racing has some structure and consistent rules. You do not have to be a member of the league to race at Thunderbowl.
10) The first race on the new track is a quad race. It is scheduled for September 2nd. 

That's about it for now. If anyone has ANY questions, please feel free to ask.   

fastrnrik

Please, for now, disregard the Thunderbowl website, as the info on there is not accurate. I will let everyone know when it is correct.

LT-R450ApK

Sweet sounds good to me,Things are Looking up !
Thanks for the update
Zuk 4Fiddy Lots O Stuff
Faster to list whats stock

tat2mike

that looks like the most positive post ive read in a long time and looks like atv flattrack racing has taken a turn for the best in the state of florida cant wait to get back in the saddle and racing again laying some rubber down on that new clay  ;D thanks fastrnrik and the ware's for the time and money youve invested into the growing sport its much appreciated 
Formally tecatemike

superstar

I have a question. Not for my benefit imparticular, but im suprised it hasnt been mentioned. Will the league consist of quads races only or will  the carts, motos and sprints be affiliated also, or do they operate within their own???

fastrnrik

Chris or Dave would be the one to ask. But as Far as I know it's for quads only. The other sports have their own associations already.

Hoosier Daddy

Quads ONLY.

The karts, & sprints have their own organizations.

Chris
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

Hoosier Daddy

BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

quad450


Fox17

could you list the different classes? and prices (if already made). i would like to try it. is it a oval?

Fox17

also when you get it lookin good can you post some pics of the facility?

HillKiller

Quote from: Fox17 on August 20, 2006, 08:27:41 PM
could you list the different classes? and prices (if already made). i would like to try it. is it a oval?

    Brady correct me if I am wrong but the track is considered to be a 1/4 mile oval. To view the classes visit

www.southernflattrackleague.com

then click on RULES then scrill down to classes
[url="//www.southerndirttrackassociation.com"]www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com[/url]

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines


  Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here

HillKiller

Quote from: fastrnrik on August 19, 2006, 11:09:46 PM
For the past couple of months there have been alot of questions, several rumors and lots of speculation as to what's happening at Thunderbowl Speedway in Ocala. 

As the new owner of this facility I would like to provide everyone with some correct information. This is just a short rundown, I will post all of the official rules later. As most people know this facility has been plauged by poor management and poor maintenence for a long time. This has now changed.

1) The track IS being rebuilt. Surveying and construction started today. There is new clay being installed, as well as the drainage system repaired. The best track in the world is no good if the rain has no where to go. The banking all the way around has been increased, and the track will be wider. The front straightaway is 35' wide, all turns are 50' wide, and the back straightaway is 40' wide.
2) The bar is CLOSED, and will not re-open as a bar. It will become a concession stand or something of that nature. Biker bars and families racing do not mix. For the first few races there will be no actual concession stand to speak of, due simply to a lack of time. I would rather spend my time fixing the track.
3) There are NO KNOBBIES, front or rear, in any class, allowed at Thunderbowl. I am not making this investment of my time and money so that a few people with knobbies can roost up a virgin track. I will allow the mini's/pee-wee's to run knobbies. If it becomes a problem, I will address it then.
4) The flag man, Ray, will still be there. All the other people that used to "work" there will no longer be affiliated. I will make introductions as to "who's who" on race day. The races will be run as a good race should.   
5) The "mud bog" in the infield has been filled in. The mud trucks can go somewhere else.
6) The place will be cleaned up. the grass in thigh high and there is junk laying everywhere. The chairs will be removed, and the bleachers put up.
7) The following groups will be racing at Thunderbowl: Karts, Quads, Motorcycles, and Mini Sprints. Quads will not race with Karts, due to the sheer number of races make it too long of a night. the Motorcycles will probably race (in their own class/classes)on Quad night, because there aren't that many of them. I'm not certain about the Mini Sprints, as I am still waiting on their schedule.
8) Thunderbowl will be a fun, safe, family oriented facility.
9) The classes that quads run in have changed. Chris (Hoosier Daddy) and Dave (Hillkiller) Ware have worked extremely hard and started an association, the Southern Flat Track League, so that our racing has some structure and consistent rules. You do not have to be a member of the league to race at Thunderbowl.
10) The first race on the new track is a quad race. It is scheduled for September 2nd. 

That's about it for now. If anyone has ANY questions, please feel free to ask.   

     I have nothing but praise for this man. He has the vision.  :Clap.gif
[url="//www.southerndirttrackassociation.com"]www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com[/url]

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines


  Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here

fastrnrik

Thanks Dave. Yes, the track is considered a 1/4 mile track. It was previously 75' short of a 1/4 mile, but I have reworked and widened the corners, so the actual length of the track is now probably a little longer. The new corner layout should allow more "racing". Instead of everbody diving to the extreme bottom of the turns, there should be plenty of room to pass on the outside. In fact, after looking at it again today, I am going to add a little more pitch to turns 3 and 4 (if I have enough clay). That way you can really hook in those turns and come out on the front straightaway hauling a$$.

I will have some pics of the construction in a day or two that I will get someone to post. (Me= build roads-Yes, computer saavy-No). 

dreth

will we still be able to camp there? and for free? i drive 4 plus hour to get there so that will matter to me. thanks for the updates

1fastltr450

A big thanks goes out to Brady for working his rear off on a track we all can enjoy. I think it is a great thing to have the bar shut down and turned into concession. Great job Brady.
2007 Maximum TT Series Open class Champion

AMA 2007 Winter National Short Track Series Open Class Winner

Hair color helps you win.

www.SouthernFlatTrackLeague.Com

Thanks to my sponsors:
Krome n Kustomz (K & K Motorsports)
Mystic Motorsports  (Their only 4-poke)

fastrnrik

I haven't really thought about the overnight camping issue yet. I know some people drive several hours to race, so I sure something could be arranged. My first response would be as long as the "camping" was done in a self contained RV, and it didn't turn into an all night keg party, I think it would be OK. I'll think some more on this subject.

dreth

Quote from: fastrnrik on August 21, 2006, 06:45:48 AM
I haven't really thought about the overnight camping issue yet. I know some people drive several hours to race, so I sure something could be arranged. My first response would be as long as the "camping" was done in a self contained RV, and it didn't turn into an all night keg party, I think it would be OK. I'll think some more on this subject.


thanks.

Quad32x

Dang good job sir ! :ThumbsUp.gif
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

fastrnrik

Nice sig quad. I don't think the Grasshopper will hang with my Cub Cadet though.... It's got major work done by Torri. :R :R :R

BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.

Skully

Brady,
Any chance of a practice nite before the 1st Sept race?

Thanks!
[url="http://www.skullymotorsports.com/"]http://www.skullymotorsports.com/[/url]

fastrnrik

There might be. It depends on the progress on the track construction. I was thinking, if the track got done with enough time to spare, that I would have some people come out and run it to help set the groove in. I will post an update if this is the case. If not we'll have to practice on race day.
Thanks 

HillKiller

  Hey Brady,
Gates still open at 3pm? How early can riders roll in?
[url="//www.southerndirttrackassociation.com"]www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com[/url]

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines


  Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here

fastrnrik

Yeah Dave, gates will open at 3 pm. I will post all the technical info in a day or so.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com