Supermoto Racing in Ocala. Who Would Come?

Started by fastrnrik, August 17, 2006, 09:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastrnrik

If there was a Supermoto facility available to quads in the Ocala area, who would come and race? I need honest answers and opinions as to who would be interested in this type of racing.

Fox17

i would if i had a bike for that. would there be quad supermoto? or just bike? i never heard of quads (other than in mx vs atv unleashed).

fastrnrik

Supermoto for Q U A D S. Supermoto for quads is popular out west, but is still fairly new here. 

Quad32x

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Fox17

i guess i should have read it better. sorry. ::) anyway i would give it a try. anything special you need to do it? like tires suspension etc? it seems like it would be a lot of fun.

LT-R450ApK

Zuk 4Fiddy Lots O Stuff
Faster to list whats stock

fastrnrik

The only specific requirements that were mentioned to me were:
*Wire in oil drain plug.
*Catch can for anti-freeze overflow
*Remove or tape up lights, so if broke, no glass on track

I don't think a particular setup would be required to start. Obviously the flat track bikes would do well, but I think a good MX setup would work fine.

550superquad

1985 huffy girls bike
green with white stripes on the chaingaurd
mid-level ape hangers with green glitter grips & white plastic woven handlebar basket
one mirror,whip flag & thumb bell on handle bar's 
extra long Bannana Seat

Fox17

Quote from: fastrnrik on August 18, 2006, 05:04:45 AM
The only specific requirements that were mentioned to me were:
*Wire in oil drain plug.
*Catch can for anti-freeze overflow
*Remove or tape up lights, so if broke, no glass on track

I don't think a particular setup would be required to start. Obviously the flat track bikes would do well, but I think a good MX setup would work fine.

ok. well if they have it soon shoot me a pm with the info and what to do bout the drain plug and a catch can. i neve rheard of those b4.

Hoosier Daddy

WAIT!!! do I have to turn right....? because i cant do that!  ::)
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

450r91

Actually a mx set-up is the best set-up for a REAL supermoto race. A realy track will not only have a bunch of turns it will have nice size jumps as well not mx big but they will be descent sized jumps. Outwest mx-setup is ur best bet. If its a real supermoto track im in but if its all asphault then it serves no purpose.

Quad32x

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

550superquad

Quote from: Quad32x on August 18, 2006, 11:47:56 AM
Where would you have it ? ???
you only THINK your grasshopper is faster than mine beotch !! :-* 8)
1985 huffy girls bike
green with white stripes on the chaingaurd
mid-level ape hangers with green glitter grips & white plastic woven handlebar basket
one mirror,whip flag & thumb bell on handle bar's 
extra long Bannana Seat

fastrnrik

Let's be realistic here. It's not an X Games caliber Supermoto track with the big jumps. I've only seen photos so far, but it looks like a very nice facility. I'm going out there tomorrow to see the place in person and watch the motorcycles race . The photos show what I think is a large asphalt portion with the dirt section, however I think the way the picture is taken makes it hard to judge exactly what the dirt section actually looks like, as far as jumps go. I will post more info and maybe some pic's after I see the place in person.

Yeah Hoosier, we have to turn right (and left, and right, and then left again lol). I don't know if I can remember how either? ???

In all seriousness, what exactly is a "REAL" Supermoto race as defined by you 450r91? I'm curious because I am by no means a Supermoto authority.

Tim, if I told you where it was I would have to kill you. Hve you made it to Starke? PM me for more info.

Fox17

please remember to take a camera when you go. we want like 50 detailed pics. get in a helicopter and get an arial shot too. i wanna see this place. im glad it is not a xgames caliber track. that would be a lil hard for me. anyway DONT FORGET THE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01ZX12R

K&K Motorsports 
Full Spectrum Racing
06' YFZ450  #12
08' KFX450  #21
08' LTR450   #132

450r91

By no means was I expecting a x games style track just saying its not worth going to a place that only has tt style jumps and not much dirt involved, honestly i would probably take what we can get, but it would be hard for me to come out if its only tt sized jumps on the track and its not challenging that all my intent ment

Fox17

i would like the jumps to be tables though. not doubles or tripples. im not too good at jumpin yet.

fastrnrik

 Ok, I just got back from the Supermoto race. It was drizzling rain, and these guys were crashing all over the place (yeah, they race on asphalt in the rain. ???) The track has a larger asphalt section than dirt section. The jumps in the dirt section were not very big, but the motorcycles were getting some pretty good air. The jumps actually look pretty quad friendly. There is a picture of the track at www.ocalagranprix.com. After watching the racing, a flat track / TT type setup would work better at this track than a MX set up due to the fact that a large portion of the race is on the twisty  asphalt. I met with the president of Southern Supermoto (their association), and he is willing to let quads race, as long as his insurance will cover us. He is going to let me know next week what the final answer from the insurance company is.
Normal entry fees for motorcycles range from $65.00 to $85.00. I convinced him to let quads race for $50.00.
There a some pretty specific requirements to this type racing, such as:
* All fluid (radiator, engine oil, etc.) fills and drains must be wired in place.
* Engine coolant replaced with a product such as "Engine Ice". Normal anti-freeze gets  slippery if spilled.
*Catch cans on radiator and carb. Several guys had water bottles zip tied on for this.
*They prefer no lights. At the very least, all lights must be taped up.
*Nerf Bars.   

I took some pic's, so I will try to post them tomorrow.
   

dreth

sounds like alot of work and $50 to race is to much for me so take me off the list.

Pro52R

HELL YES...




Count me in...

I've been wanting to supermoto for coons ages...

Add em a sway bar and I'm good to go....

I don't have many overflows and yes sir...when this gonna happen?
[url="http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/profilepic.JPG"]http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/profilepic.JPG[/url]

fastrnrik

The next race in Ocala is Sept. 23rd. It takes a minimum of 5 quads for them to allow us to race.

Ex Racer

  Sounds very interesting. I wonder what kind of tires to run??
2006 LTR, CB, deleted air box lid, baffle........

fastrnrik

You'd want to run a Hoosier or American Racer type flat track tire at this track. A little harder compound would be better, due to the asphalt, but it wouldn't really matter starting out. The motorcycles run slicks.

Ex Racer

  Thanks for the info. I wonder where is the best place to find these tires (magazine?). I also wonder if guys will be lowering their quads? Or are the jumps too big? Thanks in advance.
2006 LTR, CB, deleted air box lid, baffle........

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com