2 accidents on news involving ATV's

Started by susieblazer, August 12, 2006, 11:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susieblazer


  Just saw it on 8 one with 2 girls 12 and 13 one was killed , hit a tree in Tampa area...other in tampabay also , a man hit a vehicle with the Atv crossing a street............. ???
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

AmericanRobster

I can't believe all of the accidents lately involving ATVs. Especially around the Tampa Bay area.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

SWFRider

That doesnt help our cause does it. But it does prove we need managed legal accessable trails. Maybe the familys can sue the state to have a manged trail system. Wonder if they were wearing safety gear.
[url="http://home.earthlink.net/~chstevens04/quads/my06raptor.jpg"]http://home.earthlink.net/~chstevens04/quads/my06raptor.jpg[/url]
06 Yamaha Rator 700 - AC Nerfs and Bumper , GYTR Air Filter Complete,Yoshi RS 7 Pipe,Dobeck TFI
05 Yamaha 350 Raptor K&N Filters , HMF Slip-on, Edelbrock Carb, GYTR Air Filter Complete

AmericanRobster

I totally agree with you. We need more areas to ride our ATVs. Maybe the big guns will soon realize we need more areas to ride such a vehicle. I doubt that they were wearing helments or any gear at all.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

yfz450man

I believe that the crash involving 2 girls was in Hernando, although they reside in Tampa.  I was wondering if this happened at croom or not. 

Donate to the Jeremiah Jones Recovery Fund :
[url="http://jbatvracing.com/88Live2Ride/jones.htm"]http://jbatvracing.com/88Live2Ride/jones.htm[/url]

SWFRider

Although this is tragic.. Dont let it get to you too much. people die on bicycles, cars and small airplanes and you dont see anyone banning them.
[url="http://home.earthlink.net/~chstevens04/quads/my06raptor.jpg"]http://home.earthlink.net/~chstevens04/quads/my06raptor.jpg[/url]
06 Yamaha Rator 700 - AC Nerfs and Bumper , GYTR Air Filter Complete,Yoshi RS 7 Pipe,Dobeck TFI
05 Yamaha 350 Raptor K&N Filters , HMF Slip-on, Edelbrock Carb, GYTR Air Filter Complete

Asphaltdragon

Quote from: yfz450man on August 12, 2006, 11:55:51 PM
I believe that the crash involving 2 girls was in Hernando, although they reside in Tampa.  I was wondering if this happened at croom or not. 



Here is a article about it http://www.hernandotoday.com/news/MGBYQLKFSQE.html
Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja

cheropride

Quote from: SWFRider on August 13, 2006, 12:01:11 AM
Although this is tragic.. Dont let it get to you too much. people die on bicycles, cars and small airplanes and you dont see anyone banning them.

Good point.  Don't get me wrong, I hate to see anyone hurt and when we ride, I am concerned about my son's saftey, absolutely.  But I am sometimes more concerned about him riding his bike on the sidewalk, than the ATV.  Why, because of all the idiots with driver licenses.

Another that I don't get, (don't get me wrong not against dirt bikes :)) but to me, dirt bikes appear to be harder to contol than ATV's and I don't hear them getting as much crap that we do about ATV's.

I read the article, it states that the one girl for sure was injured, but apparently is still alive.  The thing that I don't get, why were there TWO kids on one ATV.  I am sorry, but I have seen others do this where I ride and that is dangerous.  Especially considering the size, a smaller ATV with TWO riders is very hard to control. 

In closing, I do pray for a full recovery and let this serve as a reminder about the dangers of two on one ATV, especially when it comes to kids. 

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

UncleRico

#8
I'm noticing a lot of these accidents that are being reported have some common denominators:

1) Improper safety gear (Helmet, Boots, etc)
2) Underage riders.
3) Riding two at a time.

I've had some hellacious crashes at the track, but never any serious injuries, and I've been riding for about 20 years now. I attribute that to the fact that when I ride hard and aggressively, I wear the proper gear, and I was taught to ride by people with motocross experience when I was very young.


I have to ask though, with these kids getting injured...where are the parents? Don't parents have a responsibility to train their children in safe riding habits?

At the very least, have children take a safety course, and be sure to enforce the rules.

I think ATV's get a bad rap because it's easy to blame ATV's, but when you start questioning parenting skills, it creates backlash. Sometimes I ride at a place and I see kids riding two and three at a time on 1 ATV. THAT'S A HUGE NO! NO! Simply because the operator can't control the momentum created by the passenger's weight shift.  Yet, I see it time and time again.

But is it my place to tell someone how to raise their kids and manage their actions? I think we need to start holding the parents accountable for their negligence.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Brians06grizz

Sad to say i see this kind of stuff almost everyday next door to me.Kids riding a atv way to big for them with no helmets,riding it on the road ,sometimes three at a time on it racing around their yard.Seen them one time with all three on it stand it straight up and throw all three off,luckly it stayed on the back rack and didn't come down on all three of them.Hardly ever see the parents outside watching them.Bless the stupidity you have to watch!!
2001 F150 4x4 XLT Ext cab Stepside.
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80 FOR SALE!
       
1979 CJ5 SOA Lift,6cyl-T18 4 speed with granny.Offhouser intake with Edelbrock carb
35x12.50x15 Wild Country's

digginfool

I was ready to craft a well-thought out letter to the Consumer Protection Agency referenced in the thread regarding speed limits for kids under 16.  You read something like this and maybe it's not such a bad idea.  I still think 15 mph is too slow for the 12-15 group but that's right where these kids were.  The worst part is the parents will not blame themselves, they will blame (i.e. sue) the manufacturer and the owner of the land the kids were probably trespassing on.  Sad to see how many people can't look in the mirror and see things for how they really are.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

UncleRico

Diggin:

I don't think an imposed speed limit is the answer.


Why punish the kids who ride responsibly for the knucklheaded carelessness of others.

Besides who would inforce it?

The answer is proper training in riding skills, mandatory protective gear, and Single Riders only...no tandem or triple riding.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

digginfool

I agree that in order to legislate common sense, you punish those who are responsible.  That was going to be the essence of my letter to the CPA.  My point, and theirs I suppose, is that if you can't get them to pay attention then make the ATVs so slow they can't hurt themselves.  It's a flawed theory from the perspective of responsible riders but for the insurance companies and politicians, it works.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Moose

I know this is kind of late, but I just found out the teen girl that tragically died went to school with my son.

He didn't know her because he just moved, but a lot of the other kids did and were very saddened by it all.

It's a small world.

He spent the weekend with me and wore his boots and helmet all the time, without a problem.

My prayers go out to the family.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

MachineDog

Quote from: susieblazer on August 12, 2006, 11:17:52 PM

  Just saw it on 8 one with 2 girls 12 and 13 one was killed , hit a tree in Tampa area...other in tampabay also , a man hit a vehicle with the Atv crossing a street............. ???

The thing here is, don't freeking ride fast with a person on the back. Second, I'm sure the vehicle hit the ATV, not the ATV hit the vehicle. Seriously, crossing the road you think you could actually hit a car with your atv, or would end up getting hit by the car?
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com