Main Menu

yfz 450

Started by Fox17, July 24, 2006, 02:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox17

anything i need to know bout a yfz 450 other than tha sticky post at the top of the tech corner?

53yfz450

do  you still have your lights on. :-\
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

Mrs.Nightbreed

I don't want to add to the post up top but here is my opinion. Wether you do the mod or not you need to change the oil ALL THE TIME! I change my oil and filter every week and have the oil mod done. That is usually 1 night practice and 1 full day of track time for me. However, if you get the mod done, if you don't have experience working on the bike you can cause more harm than good, PLEASE take it somewhere to have it done. 53YFZ450 was right, ATP can hook you up. It is a pretty quick job, you should be in and out in a day or two.

Fox17

yea we change the oil in all the bikes very often. usually 2 or 3 rides in the trails or 1 track day. i dont want to do that myself so i will have someone that is a professional do it like atp or something. i wish yamaha would do it. the shop is right down the road. i might ask them but i think 53yfz450 is right bout them not doing it.

and no the front lights are off and the back one is coming off. y do you ask?

svtbolt04

The 04's have a recharging problem. Make sure your front lights are on the ON position..Doesnt mean the lights have to be on the bike, but the switch has to be. Otherwise you will find yourself with a dead battery quite often.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Fox17

thats all i have to do?

53yfz450

yeah or just get a resistor kit.
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

Fox17

i am gonna get a resistor kit. it is like 40 bucks and looks really easy to install. yamaha sells them right? does it hook up to the headlight wires?

fastrnrik

I've heard some stuff about the lights. Is it 04's only, or 05' too? I was told that if the headlights were removed the charging system would not charge properly.

backinsaddle

Everything you need to know about the charging system:

http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61514

53yfz450

some other things you shouldnt be worried about but keep an eye out for is the swingarm they are known for cracking and the waterpump seal is know to go out.
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: fastrnrik on July 24, 2006, 11:54:53 PM
I've heard some stuff about the lights. Is it 04's only, or 05' too? I was told that if the headlights were removed the charging system would not charge properly.
My frind across the block had that problem with his 05 lte yfz.

53yfz450

yes its on 04 and 05s they fixed it on the 06.
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

klutchbuster400

I heard yfz 450's suck and you should trade it too me for my z >:D

fastrnrik

OK, I'll trade you. But won't your little sister be sad that you got rid of her quad? LOL. 

Fox17

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on July 25, 2006, 07:11:35 AM
I heard yfz 450's suck and you should trade it too me for my z >:D

LOL.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: fastrnrik on July 25, 2006, 10:22:21 AM
OK, I'll trade you. But won't your little sister be sad that you got rid of her quad? LOL. 
I dont care about her quad, now gimme gimme gimme!!!!! :D
>:D
If the z ever became her atv, she would have one heck of a nice one ::)

superstar

Quote from: fastrnrik on July 25, 2006, 10:22:21 AM
OK, I'll trade you. But won't your little sister be sad that you got rid of her quad? LOL. 
:D :D :D

superstar

Personally,  I havent experienced this yet (the charging problem).  My bike sits for weeks at a time and it has never failed me by not starting. I have read that once the cam mod is done that they are harder on the battery, but havent seen this one yet either. You definately pulled off a hell of a trade sir. Im am more than positive, you wont regret it. I would say replace the decompression plug. If it doesnt have the aftermarket billet plug, it would be a wise investment. If that bad boy goes youre lookin at major problems. There are a few flaws here and there, but for the most part they arent something that cant be fixed relatively cheap and fairly easy. Chuck norris posted an excellent web site. Daddog. Very informative!! Have fun and hold on.  ;)

superstar

#19
Quote from: 53yfz450 on July 25, 2006, 02:53:09 AM
some other things you shouldnt be worried about but keep an eye out for is the swingarm they are known for cracking and the waterpump seal is know to go out.

Good call on the seals. That is an extremely easy fix, and the seals are pretty cheap (bikebandit.com). I personally order them about 4or 5 at a time.Watc the weep hole just under the watr pump on right side. When seals leak you will see a bit of coolant dripping from the hole. I am told that they go out, because either the impellar shaft isnt dead straight, causing a wobble or they dry out due to being located just inside the case directly under the head pipe being exposed to higer than normal temperatures more frequently.My advice to you, should you experience this, and you will. Change the outter seal first and run it. If that doesnt fix it then dig a lil deeper for the inner seal. I have dealt w/ this twice and both times it has been the outter seal. Either way they are a simple fix.

Fox17


superstar