Dogs and Chicken Bones HELP

Started by MadMudder, July 22, 2006, 09:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMudder

Ok guys, I really need some help/advice here. My mom brought fried chicken home for lunch today. We ate and threw it away then I took out the trash. Well about 7 or so tonight I saw there was a breast left so I ate it and threw away what I didn't eat. Well I went to go play basketball with a buddy and got home about 20 minutes ago. When I walked in I noticed that the trash was tumped over. Didn't think much about it and picked up a few paper plates and stuff like that and put it back in it. Then about a minute later it hit me like a really big brick. I had my chicken leftovers in the trash they tumped over. Searched through the can and I couldn't find it. So what I want to know is are they gonna die? I have 4 dogs and I have been told allot not to feed them chicken because the bones will break and splint apart and will kill them. Have any of yall ever lost a dog to this? Or did anybodys dog eat chicken and live. Any response will be appreicated. Good or bad. I want to know. Thanks and asap would be nice. :(
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

foreman1

My pointer has occasionally dug into the trash and ate some chicken bones as well as other stuff.
No problem yet because she crushes them and does not swallow them whole. Smaller dogs might be of greater concern. Keep an eye on'em and good luck.
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

Paul_S

We have seven huskies and one is so smart it is almost impossible to keep him out of the trash/kitchen counters and they have eaten chicken bones many times. It obviously is fairly dangerous but they are all fine.

fire20

My 5 y/o Wed night gave our german shep his leftover chicken breast w/ no problems, I agree just watch them and good luck
Dave

Southern4x4

yeah my friend feeds his dog chiekns bones sometimes and the dog has no problem
[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]

klutchbuster400

Quote from: fire20 on July 22, 2006, 09:27:59 PM
My 5 y/o Wed night gave our german shep his leftover chicken breast w/ no problems, I agree just watch them and good luck
I'd watch out what you give him, my german shepard was fed pork i believe, and we had to put him down because of it :(

cheropride

The last time we went camping, we have a whole box of fried chicken.  We left in the motorhome, where I thought for sure our lab could not get, well we come back from our ride and guess what?  The box was on the ground, and when I say there was nothing left in the box, there was nothing.  Not even the a crum, this dog ate the WHOLE chicken (which was our dinner).  Well, I freaked out, thought for sure she was at the least going to be sick.  Here we are, Friday night, closest town, say 25 miles and my loved lab just ate a whole box of fried chicken, I mean every last drop.  

She WAS FINE.  I was so worried, but she was fine.  Do I recommend that dogs eat chicken bones, well no because we have always been told, it can kill a dog.  But she was fine and the next day she was absolutely normal.  I guess they way to look at it, is wild dogs or strays I am sure eat it too, and they are okay.  So rest assure I am sure they will be okay, but I understand where you are coming from.

I still say that dogs should not eat chicken bcz the bones are so sharp, but I truly believe your dogs would be fine.... ;)
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Busta Nutt

he'll poop em out tomorrow
if  your  dog eats pork and croaks it must be jewish

foreman1

Quote from: wilburzbro on July 22, 2006, 09:41:14 PM
he'll poop em out tomorrow
if  your  dog eats pork and croaks it must be jewish

the visual is disturbing , but funny . :Dead.gif
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

MadMudder

Thanks guys, im feeling a little bit better. I found the little ziploc bag in which I had the chicken in and it had a big hole chewed through it and no chicken. But anyway theres nothing really I can do about it. Nothing is gonna happen tonight. I checked all their mouths to check for bones or anything chicken related but got nothing. Thanks for the info though. So ill keep a close eye on them and hope for the best. Thanks.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Cory1020

our blue heeler got into the trash twice and ate some chicken bones she was fine but have heard that it can be bad for the dog.
99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon

klutchbuster400

Quote from: wilburzbro on July 22, 2006, 09:41:14 PM
he'll poop em out tomorrow
if  your  dog eats pork and croaks it must be jewish
Funny...

Busta Nutt

seriously I have had a bunch of dogs and they can grind them bones up no problem.

fastrnrik

Mudder, I think you'll be OK. The chicken bones won't hurt dogs. The problems come up when you feed chickens dog bones. They're just too big for the chickens to digest.

Seriously, our dog, who is a 95lb Catahoula Leopard, got in the trash and ate Hooters wing bones. The next day I noticed he was trying to go #2 and couldn't. After several unsuccessful attempts by the dog to go, I started to inspect. A piece of chicken bone had turned sideways in his rear end. Not being able to relieve ones self can have drastic health consequences, so I had no choice but to help. I grabbed the dog up, went in and removed the bone. Needless to say I didn't bite my fingernails for a long time. Keep a close eye on your dog.

cheropride

Quote from: fastrnrik on July 23, 2006, 06:12:27 AM
Needless to say I didn't bite my fingernails for a long time. Keep a close eye on your dog.

gross  :Dead.gif lol

Madmudder, hope dogs okay today - keep us posted....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Da_Mtg_Man

It's only bad for them if the bones splinter or they come out sideways.... ;D
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

snowmanzz13

FBO, Foreign Body Obstruction, very costly procedure if your dog has any problems and has to have the bones removed, hope the best of luck to you
banshee :( for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!



[url="http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann"]http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann[/url]

Busta Nutt

ain't nothin a sharp pocket knife can't fix

snowmanzz13

banshee :( for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!



[url="http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann"]http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann[/url]

dynodon

We had a dog that swallowed a popsickle stick once, the vet told us that anytime
the dogs had eaten something like that, to squeeze a whole bottle of mustard into
the back of their throat. That will make the dog throw up what ever is in the stomack.

Our dogs have eaten tons of chicken bones, they "should" be fine.
Good luck !!
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

garym

have the dog swallow warm bacon grease as soon as you know he ate the bones-it will ease the transition thru the bowel system...

fastrnrik


MadMudder

See thats the problem. I have 4 of them. ??? I dont know which one ate it. But so far so good. No sign of anything wrong. But what should I look for? They have a bunch of woods to roam and they do their bussiness back there so I wont be able to check their poop. Also I would know a ballpark time when I should be in the clear. Thanks for all the input.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com