Check with your insurance agents

Started by yunt2ride, March 08, 2006, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yunt2ride

I just spoke with my agent and I always thought that anything that I pulled would be covered. I found out that, that is not correct. My agent said that because the ATV can be insured separately, it would not be covered by my auto ins. The only thing that is covered would be maybe damage to other vehicles if something flies out of the trailer. I was planning on insuring my new quad anyways but now I find out that my older quads will not be insured unless I insure them also. I asked if they got stolen from my garage would my homeowners ins. cover it under my personal property and his answer was because it is a recreational vehicle it could be covered separately and my homeowners would not pay. He even said that if my house cault on fire it would not pay for my ATV becasue it could be covered separately. You people may want to check with your agents.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Honda328i

I have a separate Insurance policy on my bikes for this reason.  The other thing to consider is if you hit someone or something with your bike, you may be held responsible for medical or property damage, and liability coverage will protect you.

www.atv-line.com
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

Moose

I've got progressive on mine right now, but come renewal time I'm looking around.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

SkyHighT100

I will be getting insurance on mine soon. I know about Progressive having it, but who else? What provider do you use? Good experiences/bad one.. etc :)
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]

yunt2ride

Quote from: Honda328i on March 08, 2006, 01:25:08 PM

www.atv-line.com


That link was no cheaper then what I was quoted at Florida Farm Bureau. Gonna keep looking.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Hoosier Daddy

Quote from: yunt2ride on March 08, 2006, 01:18:17 PM
I just spoke with my agent and I always thought that anything that I pulled would be covered. I found out that, that is not correct. My agent said that because the ATV can be insured separately, it would not be covered by my auto ins. The only thing that is covered would be maybe damage to other vehicles if something flies out of the trailer. I was planning on insuring my new quad anyways but now I find out that my older quads will not be insured unless I insure them also. I asked if they got stolen from my garage would my homeowners ins. cover it under my personal property and his answer was because it is a recreational vehicle it could be covered separately and my homeowners would not pay. He even said that if my house cault on fire it would not pay for my ATV becasue it could be covered separately. You people may want to check with your agents.

Yunt,
  Being an insurance agent myself, everything your agent told you is correct!
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

Chuck_Norris


dynodon

Just another way to get MORE $$$$$$, Heck our governor even said that insurance rate hickes are a must !!

We also have progressive, they had the best rates, for comparible coverage !!

I owe, I owe, so back to work I go :'(
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

yunt2ride

Everyone, remember that you can get insurance for just the quad and you can add medical to it. I have two mechanics that got a quote on theirs and it was cheaper then mine with the same company. One of them told me that he just called and asked about insurance for the quad. That probably does not have medical. The one I was quoted was for a larger amount with medical just in case I do get hurt or someone riding mine gets hurt. It is expensive but its cheaper then being sued.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Toomey

I heard that Progressive supports the ACLU with $$$.....
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

Qdawg76

We have our Atv Insurance through Nationwide, But we are in Tennessee now, When we were in Florida Nationwide there would not cover ATV's. For 4 Atv's it isnt bad at about 450 per year
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

Moose

#11
That's a good deal I think.

I pay $333.00/yr, but that is with medical on both. Fire, theft, any damage on both quads.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Hoosier Daddy

#12
Quote from: Toomey on March 08, 2006, 03:16:58 PM
I heard that Progressive supports the ACLU with $$$.....

toomey,

  NOT progressive but rather one of the EX CEO's out of his own pocket...the person who made the donation hasnt worked for progressive for years...dont blame the company for one wackos ideas.... of course that what the media wants you to do...keep in mind also, you will only hear the bad press, progressive will company match 100% with any donation you make to any charity, even your local chruch...
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

Toomey

Quote from: WareRacing07 on March 08, 2006, 07:45:17 PM
Quote from: Toomey on March 08, 2006, 03:16:58 PM
I was wrong!

toomey,

  NOT progressive but rather one of the EX CEO's out of his own pocket...the person who made the donation wasnt worked for progressive for years...dont blame the company for one wackos ideas.... of course that what the media wants you to do...keep in mind also, you will only hea the bad press, progerssive will company match 100% with any donation you make to any charity, even your local chruch...

Well, from now on, I'm pro-Progressive!  :)
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

2006YFZ450

My dads looking to insure me YFZ soon cuz it's about about $13K and dont want anything to happen.  I'll be checking out Progressive
'06 YFZ 450
'03 F150 SVT

[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450[/url]

Hollywood

Yea I was under the same assumption Tony that they would be covered under the auto policy while towing as well as the trailer. Your right though anything that can have a seperate policyt must for it to be covered. I got everything I own with Nationwide. Truck, Car, Encl. trailer($6k), quads($25k) and 40k of renters ins. for less than $350/month not a bad deal considering my ins. alone was over $200 just for the truck w/ progressive.
'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr

MOTOCROSS MAVERICK

i have progressive and they cover my aftermarket parts too! :ThumbsUp.gif
[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/MOTOMAV/Home.aspx"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/MOTOMAV/Home.aspx[/url]

geektrx

Quote from: 2006YFZ450 on March 08, 2006, 08:16:23 PM
My dads looking to insure me YFZ soon cuz it's about about $13K and dont want anything to happen.  I'll be checking out Progressive

bro i'd hate to tell you this but there is a limit on how much aftermarket parts you can insure for and the limit is usuallu 1000-2000 max

they won't cover the full 13,000
Yes, I do talk to myself, it is the only way I can have an intelligent conversation. There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and the only trait that separates the two is the amount of pay.

06 TRX
94 Kawi Bayou
91 Seadoo SP
91 Kawi TS

Hollywood

Quote from: geektrx on March 09, 2006, 02:49:08 AM
Quote from: 2006YFZ450 on March 08, 2006, 08:16:23 PM
My dads looking to insure me YFZ soon cuz it's about about $13K and dont want anything to happen.  I'll be checking out Progressive

bro i'd hate to tell you this but there is a limit on how much aftermarket parts you can insure for and the limit is usuallu 1000-2000 max

they won't cover the full 13,000


Progressive won't cover it but Nationwide will. My quad is insured for 11,500. Costs a little more but worth it if someones decides they want it worse than you do.
'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr

MOTOCROSS MAVERICK

progressive with me covers up to 10,000 on the quad and 4,000 aftermarket parts.
[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/MOTOMAV/Home.aspx"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/MOTOMAV/Home.aspx[/url]

Hoosier Daddy

Hollywood,

 you might want to check again, insurance companys payout ACV (actual cash value) meaning whats it worth at the time of loss. then your custom parts up to the custom parts limit (usually no more than 2k) VERY, VERY few policys pay out a true stated amount (meaning if your quad cost 9k new and you have 2k in custom parts they will pay 11k total) all i have seen payout ACV or stated amount whichever is LESS. Be very specific when you ask your agent this...
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

Hoosier Daddy

#21
No offence to anyone but you guys assume alot, read the policy contract you will find what your think and what the policy reads are two different things.. you guys that buy 2-3-4K of customs parts why? the first 1000K is free. it doesnt all the custom parts....... heres what it reads. PS custom parts doesnt include motor mods other that an exhaust...

Custom Parts and Equipment:


Provides coverage for the first $1,000 of loss to custom parts or equipment FREE of charge on policies with Comprehensive coverage where the vehicle is not being covered as a stated amount or stated value vehicle.

This includes, but is not limited to:

any electronic equipment, antennas, and other devices used exclusively to send or receive audio, visual, or data signals, or play back recorded media, other than those which are original manufacturer installed, that are permanently installed on the cycle using bolts or brackets, including slide-out brackets;
sidecars;
trailers designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle;
custom paint, custom plating, or custom exhaust;
safety riding apparel, including helmets. (Safety riding apparel and helmets are only covered in the event of a collision where insured has collision coverage)

 


BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

Hollywood

Quote from: WareRacing07 on March 09, 2006, 09:03:33 AM
Hollywood,

 you might want to check again, insurance companys payout ACV (actual cash value) meaning whats it worth at the time of loss. then your custom parts up to the custom parts limit (usually no more than 2k) VERY, VERY few policys pay out a true stated amount (meaning if your quad cost 9k new and you have 2k in custom parts they will pay 11k total) all i have seen payout ACV or stated amount whichever is LESS. Be very specific when you ask your agent this...

I know what you mean man that's why I had such a problem getting mine covered through anyone else is because of exactly what your talking about. I went over this multiple times with my agent I have 8k in extra coverage on my quad which almost doubled the premium for it but still not bad. Ask FleaJumper about it he has all his covered the same way. They are also one of the only companies that would cover the enclosed trailer. Me and my wife spent many hours on the phone dealing with this headache before we called Nationwide. What you were quoting sounds exactly like my old Progressive policy was written on my show truck which cost me a bunch out of pocket when it was vandalized.
'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr

Qdawg76

Quote from: Hollywood on March 09, 2006, 04:54:51 PM
Quote from: WareRacing07 on March 09, 2006, 09:03:33 AM
Hollywood,

 you might want to check again, insurance companys payout ACV (actual cash value) meaning whats it worth at the time of loss. then your custom parts up to the custom parts limit (usually no more than 2k) VERY, VERY few policys pay out a true stated amount (meaning if your quad cost 9k new and you have 2k in custom parts they will pay 11k total) all i have seen payout ACV or stated amount whichever is LESS. Be very specific when you ask your agent this...

I know what you mean man that's why I had such a problem getting mine covered through anyone else is because of exactly what your talking about. I went over this multiple times with my agent I have 8k in extra coverage on my quad which almost doubled the premium for it but still not bad. Ask FleaJumper about it he has all his covered the same way. They are also one of the only companies that would cover the enclosed trailer. Me and my wife spent many hours on the phone dealing with this headache before we called Nationwide. What you were quoting sounds exactly like my old Progressive policy was written on my show truck which cost me a bunch out of pocket when it was vandalized.
Have the same coverage on our quads also. It will pay the Actual Amount of the quads along with What ever the value of the mods cost also. Nationwide is on your side.lol
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com