Thoughts on LTR 450 and thanks for the advice!!

Started by Ex Racer, March 06, 2006, 10:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex Racer

  Well, after asking on this site what quad to buy (see "Help me pick a quad, Please" thread on P.7) I still was planning on going against the advice I was given and was going to buy an old school 2 stroke.
  After several unsuccessful attemts to buy a 250R (like I rode back in the day) for what I thought should be a reasonable price, I ended up purchasing a LTR450. I only have ridden it for a couple of hours in ONF (I live 10 min. from Eureka) I must say that I am very glad I took the advice I was given!!!!!! I would, however, only say the motor is adequate in stock form and nothing more. I did purchase the cherry bomb with the bike, but am not going to do the mods until my break in period is finished. I have to keep telling myself that this is like only having 3/4 throttle!! Even at that the power is still adequate.
  The suspension on this quad is far beyond what I ever thought possibe. This may not mean much though as the best suspension I have it to compare to is old school stuff. Mistakes on whoops that were before borderline catastrophic or worse are now literally just a little bit uncomfortable. ATVs have come along way in the last 10 years! I just wanted to thank everyone that gave me advice, and to rave about my new toy!!!
2006 LTR, CB, deleted air box lid, baffle........

klutchbuster400

Quote from: Ex Racer on March 06, 2006, 10:33:10 PM
  Well, after asking on this site what quad to buy (see "Help me pick a quad, Please" thread on P.7) I still was planning on going against the advice I was given and was going to buy an old school 2 stroke.
  After several unsuccessful attemts to buy a 250R (like I rode back in the day) for what I thought should be a reasonable price, I ended up purchasing a LTR450. I only have ridden it for a couple of hours in ONF (I live 10 min. from Eureka) I must say that I am very glad I took the advice I was given!!!!!! I would, however, only say the motor is adequate in stock form and nothing more. I did purchase the cherry bomb with the bike, but am not going to do the mods until my break in period is finished. I have to keep telling myself that this is like only having 3/4 throttle!! Even at that the power is still adequate.
  The suspension on this quad is far beyond what I ever thought possibe. This may not mean much though as the best suspension I have it to compare to is old school stuff. Mistakes on whoops that were before borderline catastrophic or worse are now literally just a little bit uncomfortable. ATVs have come along way in the last 10 years! I just wanted to thank everyone that gave me advice, and to rave about my new toy!!!
you do know suzuki restricted the stock ltr  alot ;)
theirs a few odds and ends you should do like remove the baffle and some other stuff, more power ::)

Ex Racer

 
That is what I meant by mods (plural) Cherry bomb, baffle, and airbox lid. It would seem to me that I had better put on a K&N or similar type filter on at the same time I remove the airbox lid. I think sand would find its way easily through the stock "foam" filter. What does everyone else think about that?
2006 LTR, CB, deleted air box lid, baffle........

Chillinthemost

Foam is WAY better for dusty, sandy conditions than K/N.
Congrats on the new bike, I have my eye on them.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Dr.Dirt

Dang 4 strokes  >:(  LOL. Congrats on the new bike but its to bad you didnt get another 2 stroke  ;D. No matter what kinda 4 strokes they come up with, 2 strokes are always better than 4  ;)

Chillinthemost

Quote from: Dr.Dirt on March 07, 2006, 06:32:49 PM
Dang 4 strokes  >:(  LOL. Congrats on the new bike but its to bad you didnt get another 2 stroke  ;D. No matter what kinda 4 strokes they come up with, 2 strokes are always better than 4  ;)
Your girlfriend was just being nice when she told you that.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Yamaha72

#6
Quote from: Chillinthemost on March 07, 2006, 06:26:09 PM
Foam is WAY better for dusty, sandy conditions than K/N.
Congrats on the new bike, I have my eye on them.

For Florida (Sandy, Dusty) riding a well maintained UNI or Twin Air foam filter is a better choice than a K&N style filter...... Congrats on the new bike :Clap.gif :Clap.gif (those LTR's are pretty awesome)
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150

Dr.Dirt

Quote from: Chillinthemost on March 07, 2006, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: Dr.Dirt on March 07, 2006, 06:32:49 PM
Dang 4 strokes  >:(  LOL. Congrats on the new bike but its to bad you didnt get another 2 stroke  ;D. No matter what kinda 4 strokes they come up with, 2 strokes are always better than 4  ;)
Your girlfriend was just being nice when she told you that.

Sorry. That was your girl I was with and she liked my big pipe.  ;)

Ex Racer

  Thanks, I love it so far........ Thanks for the info as well, the more I think about it, the better sense it makes!!
2006 LTR, CB, deleted air box lid, baffle........

LT-R450ApK

let that puppy breath man!!!! no need to wait till after break in!!
It's a sweet quad,So far mines been good to me!! 
Zuk 4Fiddy Lots O Stuff
Faster to list whats stock

Quad32x

An  ex-racer  near  Ocala ?  Hmmmm.  I  must  know  you.  New  zuki  is  a  sweet  ride ! ;)
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Dr.Dirt

Quote from: Quad32x on March 08, 2006, 08:19:11 AM
An  ex-racer  near  Ocala ?  Hmmmm.  I  must  know  you.  New  zuki  is  a  sweet  ride ! ;)

No, its just that alzheimer's again... :-\ ;D

Quad32x

Quote from: Dr.Dirt on March 08, 2006, 08:20:59 AM
Quote from: Quad32x on March 08, 2006, 08:19:11 AM
An  ex-racer  near  Ocala ?  Hmmmm.  I  must  know  you.  New  zuki  is  a  sweet  ride ! ;)

No, its just that alzheimer's again... :-\ ;D
Shut  up  Doc  before  I  kill  you. :o ;)
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com