Gotta love it !

Started by cain73, February 24, 2005, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cain73

In the March issue of ATV Action there was a shoot out of "open class quads" for the big bore heavy machines. I don't see how the Polaris 500 Scrambler got into it but the DS650 was put against that and the KFX 700.  I am proud to say that it won in every situation from drag to track and then some. The only plave the Polaris had a chance was the heavy mud which the other two were not made for.
and in the 100 yard drag the DS left the KFX by 3 quad lengths ! thats not a long strip and to lead by 3 quad lengths over a 700cc v-twin is pretty impressive.
Not that most of you care, but this article made me happy since I always get asked "what about that KFX700, I bet it'll beat you" kind of questions.
I know that there are a lot of quads faster than mine (after mods of course) and many that are better suited for some types of riding. The DS is not the machine for everyone and that's  fine. I love my machine and it does everything that I want it to. I just don't think they get the respect they deserve.
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

bluesman

 8)preach it bratha   praise the lord

BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)

Thats all that matters IF YOUR HAPPY. I cant stand stereo typing If something makes you happy who care what other people think.
East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.

jbbj220

you don't stop rideing because you get old, you get old because you stop rideing

cutngrs

 YOU KNOW SINCE IT CAME OUT ITS STILL THE FASTEST PRODUCIONS QUAD OUT OF THE BOX STOCK TO STOCK  AND I LOVE MINE ;D
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

MadMudder

Yea, they shouldn't have put the scrambler in with the kfx and the ds650. But the ds is a manual and the kfx has a CVT auto so the DS whomped it in the drag races and all the other stuff. The KFX couldn't use the power that it had. It would be real intresting if they put a manual trans in the KFX. I think the DS would still win but it would have been closer. Anyway the only way that the 500 would have had a chance was if they took them to a gigant mud pit and never left. I can see why they put it in there though. It is heavy, big motor for a sport quad and it had the 4wd so they thought for some reason that it would have done good.  ??? If they hadn't had 3 quads then it wouldn't have been a shoot out. It would have been a comparsion. And the scrambler was the only quad that would have fit their order. Still it was their goat and it took up space for the article. Like me.. (i read too many quad mags)
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Quad32x

QuoteYOU KNOW SINCE IT CAME OUT ITS STILL THE FASTEST PRODUCIONS QUAD OUT OF THE BOX STOCK TO STOCK  AND I LOVE MINE ;D
Come  get  ya  some  of  the  old  school  LT 500 R  Suzuki  there  slick !!! ;D ;D ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

cutngrs

#7
put it together first  and make sure it runs  and  then you can call me slick  intill then your just a tool ;D [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

cain73

Don't forget to buy a full paycheck worth of spare spark plugs  ;D jk. although the lt500 WAS the fastest quad in production (during it's day) and still qualifies as the fastest stock quad, the DS is the fastest stock quad still IN production. I mean hey, dinosaurs were pretty tough in their day too  :o  ;)  ;D
I would still love to own a zilla myself.
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Quad32x

Mine  dont  foul  plugs  but  it  will  foul  up  your  day  in  a  drag  race  and  as  far  as  cut  goes , he  still  wont  bring  out  his  turd  for  a  good  whoopin !!!! ;D ;D ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

cutngrs

you mean this one  i know your not talking about the orange crush you know were to find it   ;D
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

cutngrs

 its not like this any more  its back to a trail bike ;D
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

Quad32x

Thats  the  sled !! ;D I  will  crush  its  skull  if  ya  want  to  bring  that  sled  out !! ;D ;D ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Old_School

QuoteYOU KNOW SINCE IT CAME OUT ITS STILL THE FASTEST PRODUCIONS QUAD OUT OF THE BOX STOCK TO STOCK  AND I LOVE MINE ;D

As Quad32 said the zilla was and still is the fastest production atv ever made. Not bad for something that is over 15yrs old. And had the highest power to weight ratio to boot.  They don't make quads like they used to. -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

Quad32x

A  big  bore  brother  speaking  the  facts !!! [smiley=bow.gif] ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Old_School

#15
QuoteA  big  bore  brother  speaking  the  facts !!! [smiley=bow.gif] ;D

 [smiley=ThumbsUp.gif] There's not that many of us out there. Us zilla riders got stick together. I love my zilla.  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

cain73

I know you 2-strokers hate it but it was initially a post to comment on the achievments of the "new" technology of the 4-stroke and more specific the DS. Not to compare it to the Zilla.  Out of curiosity what was the top speed of the Zilla (stock) ? I have always heard it was the fastest but never informed what the speed was. Please enlighten me.
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Quad32x

Hey  cain73 , Dont  really  remember  any  test  or  anything  about  top  speed  when  these  things  came  out  back  in  the  day  but  I  would  guess  stock  with  stock  gearing  you  could  get  mid  to  upper  80s.  I  have  herd  of  faster  top  speeds  out  of  race  built  zillas  with  different  gearing  though.   ;D 8)
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Old_School

#18
QuoteI know you 2-strokers hate it but it was initially a post to comment on the achievments of the "new" technology of the 4-stroke and more specific the DS. Not to compare it to the Zilla.  Out of curiosity what was the top speed of the Zilla (stock) ? I have always heard it was the fastest but never informed what the speed was. Please enlighten me.

I'm not a hater. Actually I'm kinda happy that the 4 strokes new technology is breaking new boundaries and starting to catch up on 15+ yr old 2 stroke technology. Without rivalry there's no fun right? ;)

Contrary(sp?) to popular belief the zilla didn't have top speeds of 100+ mph in stock form as alot of people say. It wasn't even 90 or high 80's. One of the old school magazines took a bunch of quads to a drag strip and ran them. The zilla (if my memory serves me right) hit very low 80's maybe even just 80 mph. Nonetheless, not bad considering this was back in the late 80's and 1990 coming off the showroom floor. However there are some zillas that will hit 90's and some 100mph. I don't know what my zilla will do. But I know it's far from stock.  [smiley=EvilSmile.gif]   -Mark
-Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

cain73

I thought it was 80 but wasn't sure. They were/are great quads, but for that extra 1 mph from Zilla to DS I'll take the DS with its suspension and torque. I know that they can hit 100 plus if modded correctly, as can the DS. I know a guy with a lightening fast Banshee and a 500cc 2-stroke blaster that easily pass the 100mph mark. In fact there is a guy called Mr. HP (of horsepower research) that has an 800 kit for the DS that makes 83 hp and  67 torque.
Now with fun rivalry in mind read this......
4-stroke technology is rapidly advancing. Just because there is 1 2-stroke that was stock faster than the now stock 4-strokes does not mean better. consider the overall package not just top end speed. I respect the roots from which todays quads came, but there have been changes for a reason. Keep in mind the analogy of the dinosaurs..... they too were bad in they day, but try findin one now. there are still lots of great 2 strokes out there, but all the technology is focused on the 4-stroke.   :)
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Quad32x

Well  cain  like  I  said  before  mx  or  drags , come  on  and  get  ya  some  sucka !!!! ;D ;D ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

cain73

We can arrange something. check your messages.  
and for the record here are some stats on the Zilla  that someone dug up for me (like all fossils are exhumed)

i'll tell u the specs. got the service manual right here, but 1st here some info from atv action in 1988: quadzilla 1/4 mile time: 15.09@79.29 mph. 60ft: 1.938 (if anybody has the june and july 1988 issues of atv action let me know)


specs:

length: 75.6
width: 47.4 (i measured 48.5 in the front, 47.4 in rear)
height: 43.7
wheelbase: 53.1
front track: 40.6
rear track: 35.4
ground clearence: 4.3
seat height: 31.1
dry weight: 391

suspension travel i believe is 9.1 for both ends
crank hp: 51 wheels 45+

and here are stats for the DS 650 (Racer- not Baja)
Transmission: 5-speed constant mesh transmission

SUSPENSION
Front type: Independent suspension-double A-arm
Front travel: 12.0 in. (305 mm) Travel
Rear type: Rigid swing-arm
Rear travel: 11.5 in. (292 mm) Travel

BRAKES
Front: Nissin hydraulic, 2 discs (stainless)
Rear: Nissin hydraulic, 1 disc (stainless)
Parking: R.H. brake lever includes a lock on front wheels

DIMENSIONS
Overall Max. height: 46.5 in. (1181 mm)
Max. length: 77 in. (1956 mm)
Max. width: 50 in. (1270 mm)
Wheel base: 52 in. (1321 mm)
Wheel track-Front: 41 in. (1048 mm)
Wheel track-Back: 39 in. (990 mm)

weight 460
hp = 46.3 rear wheel
torque = 40.2 ft pounds
this is dyno info from hpresearch.net for a brand new stock machine.

the DS is a little heavier but has better (4-stroke) torque and far superior suspension. I don't care about 1 mph to have my DS over your Zilla. The Zilla has had its day. the 4-strokes to come will be even better power to weight ratio than what I have now. Technology baby, gotta love it ! ;D

This didn't start out as a 2 vs 4 stroke, but since you started it here are the stats. like it or not that Brontosaurus you're riding has nothing to be jealous of.
I still look forward to seeing you in ONF. win lose or draw I wouldn't change a thing.


[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Quad32x

cain  I  see  how  you  like  your  stats  and  thats  fine  and  dandy.  Sometimes  that  makes  people  feel  alittle  better.  Facts  are  though , and  im  sure  old  school  will  back  me  up  on  this , the  zilla  may  be  old  but  it  will  still  crush  the  skull  of  that  turd  ds.  I  have  done  it  before  and  WILL  do  it  again !!!! ;D ;D ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Zilla_Kid

hey Tim ,some people are a little slow huh?  and for the 79.29 mph,thats very conserveative,only because the 500s were geared way to low. my bike,which is a 1987, the better,more hp year with alot of gearing change will run alot better than 80 mph. just line up one of those ds650s,and they will get SPANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1982 YZ 490
1986 LT 250R
1987 TRX 250R
1988 CR 250R
1988 Kawasaki Tecate 4
1989 lone star 250R
2004 Suzuki LTZ 400
2007 kawasaki brute force 750

BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)

All this talk, you guys need to go to saltsdale and hash this out. Stats are good on paper but you can have all the power and handling in the world but it needs to be tamed by a good driver.  
East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com