I'm going to purchase a new 2 seater ATV - either the Bombardier 650 Outlander Max or the Polaris Sportsman X2. I like the price of the Polaris, but recently I've heard some things bout their clutches going bad after wet riding.
Any truth to this? And any recommendations Bombardier vs. Polaris?
Thanks!
Buy a polaris
The polaris is probably belt driven if so when the belt driven atv''s get really wet the belts will slip on thm but only for a short while untill they dry off.
Those belt issues were resolved almost a decade ago.
Feelin' better about the Polaris. Thanks!
Defiantely get the Polaris, Havent had any problems with mine
If the belt housing is sealed off good then you will not get water in it unless you stay in water for long periods of time then maybe a little. They are sealed pretty good now. To dry out a belt, drain out the water then just put it in low range and run it out for about 5 minutes and your good to go.
Both machines are great. I have a bomb and I love it so far, seems to run better everytime I ride it. I really like the rotax engine, onboard brakes, spar frame and trailing arm rear suspension. The 2 seater outlander Max is also a convertable machine that has a small bed that attaches whenyou are one up. Good luck with you decision.
My Outy's belt only gets wet if the water level reaches my seat and I stop. If that happens, I just loosen the bottom bolt on the CVT case to drain the water, tighten her back up and ride it. Some folks drill a hole in the CVT case and install a rubber drain plug. The bolt I refer to is pictured on step 3 of the following instructions;
http://www.atvonlinemagazine.com/atv_tire_wheel_machine_review/machine_reviews/my_outty800efi/drain_plug_install/drain_plug_install.html
Thanks to all for the great info. Plan on making a decision and getting one this weekend. Pretty psyched!
Thanks again!