ATV Florida Forum

General => Tech Corner => Topic started by: Yamaha72 on December 29, 2005, 09:55:54 PM

Title: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: Yamaha72 on December 29, 2005, 09:55:54 PM
My rear shock on my 03' raptor 660 squeaks every time it is compressed or released and it annoys the hell out of me. What can I do to stop the squeaking?????
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: Da_Mtg_Man on December 29, 2005, 10:02:54 PM
Lose some weight.  :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.



Mine would do that every once in a while also. I just sprayed it with silicone and it stopped.
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: Yamaha72 on December 29, 2005, 10:42:35 PM
spray what with silicone?????
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: Da_Mtg_Man on December 30, 2005, 12:29:18 AM
The shock mounts and the spring.
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: raptor426 on January 03, 2006, 01:33:51 PM
Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on December 29, 2005, 10:02:54 PM
Lose some weight.  :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Knowing Yamaha72, that is one of the funniest things I have heard. LMAO
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: Yamaha72 on January 04, 2006, 12:48:04 AM
Shut up justin (raptor426) you aint a light weight either
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: RaptItUp on January 10, 2006, 05:05:34 PM

I 've got that problem too.  (No, not the weight, well maybe i'm a few Budwheezers over what I should be).  I had a hard time figuring out where it is coming from.  Seems like everytime I spray it, the quiet lasts for a short time and then comes right back.   Any other ideas besides a new shock?  I am thinking of taking my rear suspension apart see if I could isolate it to one spot like maybe bushings.   Also curious why it only happens to some and not all Raptors.  Also does it more some days than others.  I spoke to a service guy at a dealer in Palm Harbor that I despise and said he had never heard of this on Raptors. Talked to a Raptor rider at Big Scrub and he said he had the same problem.   He said it was the shock also.
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: 01ZX12R on January 10, 2006, 06:07:32 PM
Pull the upper shock bolt out and clean good to get all the old hard grease off of it. Then lube it up real good with a teflon grease and reinstall it. I have done it with 4 Raptors now and has taken care of the problem.
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: RaptItUp on January 11, 2006, 12:12:31 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.  I will definitely try them.  I can't stand that squeak.
Title: Re: Raptor Rear Suspension
Post by: Yamaha72 on January 11, 2006, 12:45:38 AM
Yea. ;D ;D Good tips