Has anyone heard any more about the plan to close parts of the Forest and begin with the maintained trail system? I think the last thread I read said it would begin something like Jan. 9, 2006. When I was there in October I found one trail a little southeast of the powerlines/Big Scrub that had been graded. It wound around to 588,continued across 588 to the west then died out. I will be going back after the first of the year and wondered what to expect. Thanks.
I'd like to know where exactly, or better clues where to find that trail you speak of.
I have from time to time found trails over the last year or two that were not necessarily "graded" but seems like they were "plowed" and wide enough for a semi to get through,,,,made me think that it was for clear-cutting operations.
Id@
This was not that wide and looked like it was done with boxblade tractor. Not completely flat, but most of the whoops taken out. Seems to me I remember seeing tire tracks like those turf savers on a Deere or Kubota. Anyway I'm not real familiar with that area and it was about 2 mos ago, but I think we took first or second trail to the right off the powerlines as you are heading east. Definitely before the clay pit. Then maybe first left (possibly where a cleared area is). I think we followed the tree line, cut across a trail that was new and barely visible tire tracks to the woods on the other side. Through the woods then came to and an intersection where we ran into the graded trail. It wound around and came to a tee on what turned out to be something like 588h or g. We crossed the N/S 588 rode the graded trail for a mile or so then lost it. Hope that helps. If they are on this site, we were behind some dirt bikes (Vintage Yamahauler IT200 or 175 and maybe an XR with little guys on dirt bikes also). They rode it for a while then let us pass. Also a couple of dirt biker behind us. Maybe someone else has been on this trail. Hope that helps.
maybe I'll try to find it on Sunday and post some GPS coordinates.
Id@
Was it on the west side of 19?
Yep, about a 1/4 mi east of Big Scrub, then southeast maybe a mile.
How 'bout it Ida?? Did you get a chance to look for this trail?
......anyone else out there been on it? It was real fresh a couple of months ago. Like maybe a day or so old. I have seen the roads they make for timber clearing and they usually make those real wide and put clay on it. This looked different.
If you go to bluesink work your way east and then across sr 19 there are some of the smoothest trails in ocala over there.. the last couple times we went to ocala i tried to stay over there
long smooth trails and nobody over there...
here is a picture of one of the days trails, the white dotted line is our track
it is about a 30 mile route
[attachment deleted by admin]
Alrighty then, now it'll be full of woops within two months.
You better take the gps around there,,and know the area,, alot of dead ends and no cross overs (the numbered roads) that picture is zoomed out.. so it does not show the detail
just getting away from blue sink and over to 19 is a challange,,, unless you take the powerlines..
that is a 15 sq mile area