lets do Jasper. my weekends are committed for through the 12th of november after that im open. any inputs on dates.
this is a very unique area to florida, steep climbs, water crossings, rock outcroppings and some places have extremely soft sand. while the mileage is short, it will be one of the longest short rides youve been on.
*this is a challenging area to ride compared to ocala.
jeff
where is it? what regulations? any more info?
I am good for pretty much any Saturday but the 12th, 19th of Nov., and the 10th of Dec.
All Sundays are out till the 18th of Dec. and beyond. lol So yall just set the date and I'll make it if I can.
hey hollywood you have a pm
just throwing this out there but how bout december 3rd.
jeff
Sounds good to me.
I'll talk to the Wife and see if we can make it
works for me, unless something comes up.
Does anybody know how to get there from the Suwannee River Camp Ground. I am thinking about going camping at the Suwannee River Camp Ground on 11/11 till 11/13 and was thinking about trying to ride Jasper that weekend while we were camped. It would be alot closer than coming from Orange Park.
Jim,
How short is the ride
Nov. 19 or Dec. 3 is open for me, but would need to camp overnight somewhere the 18th.
Should I bring sport bike or utility?
I'm bringing sport bike with paddles ;D ;D dont tailgate
11/19, 11/26 or 12/3. Pick a date, I'm in.
Kurt
HHHHmmmmmmmmmmm 12/3 sounds good..........................
Quote from: Chillinthemost on November 01, 2005, 03:50:05 AM
I'm bringing sport bike with paddles ;D ;D dont tailgate
Chillin'-
What, you're not bringin' the ambulance?!? ;)
I've got to ride my bike on some of these rides. I dont want to be know as the drunk guy in the Rhino. It actually depends on how many of my crew want to go. If momma goes I'll bring the Rhino and my bike. I'm worried about bring my big trailer with EVERYTHING because of parking.
We'll make room for everyone. Those of us with 4x4's can pull down in the river bed and park to leave room for everyone else.
Were in for this Ride ;D
Quote from: jbbj220 on October 31, 2005, 02:29:09 PM
Does anybody know how to get there from the Suwannee River Camp Ground. I am thinking about going camping at the Suwannee River Camp Ground on 11/11 till 11/13 and was thinking about trying to ride Jasper that weekend while we were camped. It would be alot closer than coming from Orange Park.
Jim,
Ask the desk person, but I think you go north from the camp ground to 6. Go right, past I-75, on to 41. Go right 100yds ahead on the right.
I love the place, will do my best to make this ride.
Does anybody know how to get there from gainesville. If it is close enough for a day trip We will definetly come
Its probably only 1 hour north of Gainsville. Its only a few miles east of I75, I dont remember the exit #.
Since I know folks are going to start asking here's the directions.
from I10 go North on I75 to exit 460 take a right go about 3 miles till this road dead ends into Hwy 41 go right again the overpass is directly ahead of you just before the overpass you can get off the roadway on the right and there are a couple trails and spots under the overpass and on the other side of the powerlines that run along there to park. Just remember do not park on the right of way or you will get a ticket, there were signs out there that said no parking on right of way so long as you are behind them your OK. There is also a trail that leads down the powerlines from 6 just before the intersection that you can go down and park that takes you down by the overpass
Lets all remember this is one of the best places to ride in the state, lets keep it that way.
Take home all trash, so many bums don't, and they will close the access off if the place keeps looking like a dump. It has happened before.
Be carefull of any belongings left in the open. One young punk stole a gas can and rode down river to help a friend. We saw him riding with it while going back ourselves. When they got back to the overpass, no gas can. Busted. Well they went and got the can, paid Mike for the gas, and left shortly after. It's the only problem I have heard of, but you never know.
i'd love to make this ride. Moose you live close to me, how long of a drive is it?
aprox how many miles of the river bed is driveable :dunno.gif
a few weeks ago we could go about 13miles but don't let that push you away. It will take all day to do them. It's a technical river bed.
well lets make the date december 3rd. we'll meet at 9:00am. the most ive squezed out of this ride is around 20 miles and thats when the water was low and ridable to the suwanee river. we went up the river bed several miles then dropped back by the trucks and headed the 12 miles to the suwanee river. be advised, me and some friends were almost out of gas after those 20 miles. its a workout for you and your quad. i can get 70-80 miles to a tank in ocala.
jeff
Is this splace muddy or sandy.
I will be there. I will be driving a silver F-150 with a black flatbed trailer.
I am only gonna have the kodiak and the raptor with me on this trip.
Would a 05 yamaha blaster 200 make this ride? would it be any fun on a sport quad?
It will make it no problem. You can ride around most of the water. Follow me, I aint sinking my YFZ.
if i go im gonna sink my rappy i aint scared of no water. lol hopefuly i get there.
The Blaster will do just fine. Last trip we had 400ex, the 250ex and Blaster none of which have air box lids and we did just fine. You just have to be careful in the water holes as not to get to deep.
Im in! we will see hoe the blaster does? someone how is going please give me a call so i can get good directions and descriptions maybe meet up with any one from orlando to head up that way!
407-929-9251 darick
Quote from: jjamesbar on November 02, 2005, 09:03:15 PM
well lets make the date december 3rd. we'll meet at 9:00am. the most ive squezed out of this ride is around 20 miles and thats when the water was low and ridable to the suwanee river. we went up the river bed several miles then dropped back by the trucks and headed the 12 miles to the suwanee river. be advised, me and some friends were almost out of gas after those 20 miles. its a workout for you and your quad. i can get 70-80 miles to a tank in ocala.
jeff
dec. sond cold and it will be wet ooohhhhh!?
Quote from: WAKORB on November 03, 2005, 05:56:40 PM
dec. sond cold and it will be wet ooohhhhh!?
just look at it this way. "when your dumb you have to be tough" ;)
jeff
Quote from: hometownboy on November 02, 2005, 09:47:26 PM
Is this splace muddy or sandy.
I will be there. I will be driving a silver F-150 with a black flatbed trailer.
I am only gonna have the kodiak and the raptor with me on this trip.
Deep sand, bring plenty of bug repellent also
Quote from: Chuck_Norris on November 03, 2005, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: hometownboy on November 02, 2005, 09:47:26 PM
Is this splace muddy or sandy.
I will be there. I will be driving a silver F-150 with a black flatbed trailer.
I am only gonna have the kodiak and the raptor with me on this trip.
Deep sand, bring plenty of bug repellent also
YES!!! bring PLENTY of bugspray!! the worst part of that place is the gnats!!! they are TERRIBLE!!
but its fun.
hope ya'll have fun.............i dont think we are gonna go................... :'(......lol
Sounds like a challenge.I'll try to make it also.Maybe I can ride my buddies Polaris Ranger!
WARNING, WARNING
The last 3 group rides I went on I drove the Rhino. This time I'm not. I plan on jumping EVERY jump and climbing EVERY hill and racing EVERYbody. >:D and maybe :drink.gif when I'm done ;D
We will be in GA the weekend before this, but we are going to try and make it if we aren't burnt out on driving. Its about a 3.5 drive for us to Jasper.
hell yea you guy's know i i'm in on this one. good to hook of with some fellow riders. haven't been to jasper in a long while. i should be healed by then "thanks holywood" just kidding ;)
hometownboy, your local, if you whant to crews up together that would be cool shoot me a p.m. for time and place to meet.
c-ya steve
i was hoping to hear from you steve. glad your down.
Quote from: Chillinthemost on November 05, 2005, 12:45:16 AM
WARNING, WARNING
The last 3 group rides I went on I drove the Rhino. This time I'm not. I plan on jumping EVERY jump and climbing EVERY hill and racing EVERYbody. >:D and maybe :drink.gif when I'm done ;D
the only place im racing you is through the water.
jeff
Jasper is just soft beach sand no quad will have any problems .
Oh yea forgot to warn you about the crazy locals. Their are some real nut cases that ride there.
this might be the one ride where we actually have a ute group and a sport group.
jeff
Alright darnit. I may have to reconsider my other rides and do this one. I don't want to have to wait another year to ride there. Anyone doing a list on this ride?
its about time girl! you can do those other rides year round but you have to do this one when nature allows. you will not be dissapointed. its awsome.
jeff
Quote from: jjamesbar on November 06, 2005, 05:34:49 AM
its about time girl! you can do those other rides year round but you have to do this one when nature allows. you will not be dissapointed. its awsome.
jeff
Yea QT, just get on 75-N and when you get to Ga. you went to far. Turn around and go back 5-6-miles, you'll be pretty close. ;D
You'll love the place, not a place like it anywhere.
Sounds like a good time to invest in some chest waders, the foam type to keep you dry and warm.
if we go I'll more than likely rent the hotel room just down the steet. especialy for the ability to take a shower if nothing else....
Is it safe to take kids there to ride and will a kids quad make it? Also, how do you get there and where do you park?
Thanks, Teej
Does anybody know of a campground where i can use my motorhome that is fairly close.
Don't know if lil moose is going to make this ride. He had his appendix taken out last Tues, so we'll see, that gives him a month to heal. He's doing fine at home with his mom and older sister, so he's doing OK.
Quote from: hometownboy on November 06, 2005, 07:44:31 PM
Does anybody know of a campground where i can use my motorhome that is fairly close.
Not real sure how close to the Jasper rideing aera it is but the Suwannee River Campground i sreal nice and I am thinking about staying there and then go ride.
Go to www.musicliveshere.com for more information.
Jim,
Me and my dad will pprobably stay there looks pretty nice. anybody know how far the csmpground is from the riding area
The camp ground is a little ways south of jasper not to far though.
Quote from: BIGWORM3699 on November 07, 2005, 04:43:25 PM
The camp ground is a little ways south of jasper not to far though.
I drove by the place a while back. From I-75 and 6, go west to the next major paved road, check a map for the name or number. Go left, south, down a couple miles you cross a bridge, the Alapaha River. Some people park there, and it's the last bridge before the real deep stuf. Right after it is a deep hole.
Keep going south from the bridge and you come to an Agriculture Inspection Station on the left, the camp ground is right accross the road I think. The camp ground is on the Suwannee just down river from the Alapaha.
Can you tent camp at the riding area.
Quote from: hometownboy on November 07, 2005, 10:41:19 PM
Can you tent camp at the riding area.
yes that is what a few did last time out
A couple of times some of us camped a mile up stream. The best advice I have for camping on the river bed itself is, get those long tent stakes at wallyworld. They are the only ones that will hold your tent if it gets windy, I have seen tents rolling down the river bed like huge beach balls. Had to tie them to tree branches. The stakes are rather cheap also. The sand is very soft, and I mean soft.
gotta bail >:( BOYSCOUT camping trip...First one with the kids :ThumbsUp.gif
I won't be there either. Our boys birthday party is that weekend.
So what time are we gonna meet.
And does anybody want to start a list.
suggest to meet at 9:00am.
jeff
Quote from: Teej on November 06, 2005, 05:41:06 PM
Is it safe to take kids there to ride and will a kids quad make it? Also, how do you get there and where do you park?
Thanks, Teej
i dont believe kids quads will do well there. but if others have tried using them chime in. the sand is super super soft, the water crossings can be deep. and there are times you'll be riding along steep river banks. ive seen several adults roll over. i have flipped over backwards climbing up a trail leeding out of the river bottom. this is a challenging ride. im not trying to scare anyone but people get hurt here. some serious.
jeff
Quote from: Chuck_Norris on November 10, 2005, 02:24:32 AM
gotta bail >:( BOYSCOUT camping trip...First one with the kids :ThumbsUp.gif
went through that some years back. mitch and his brother made it to eagle but i must add that it was a bit of a battle when they were in high school. they're glad they made it now. i had enjoyed the campouts.
jeff
9:00 sounds great
I think I'm out for this one too unfortunately. Just got back from Red Creek and it was a long and expensive trip. Maybe have to wait till next year to get back up there.
Anyone have any directions for people living down south?
Directions from Leesburg or Orlando would be great.
Quote from: wilburz on November 14, 2005, 01:02:42 PM
Anyone have any directions for people living down south?
Directions from Leesburg or Orlando would be great.
I-75 north almost to the Fl.-Ga. line. Hwy 6. Keep right to stop sign. Turn right go about 100 yards and get off road, go down incline to right and park under bridge.
Quote from: wilburz on November 14, 2005, 01:02:42 PM
Anyone have any directions for people living down south?
Directions from Leesburg or Orlando would be great.
I'll take this a step further. Wilbur, From your area take the turnpike to Wildwood, That will dump you on I-75. Then follow Yunts directions
I'll start a list.
Chillinthemost
Anoriginal
Smokinzilla
JJames
Moose
Hometownboy
Bigscrub brothers should be there.
I'll start a list.
Chillinthemost
Anoriginal
Smokinzilla
JJames
Moose
Hometownboy
Bigscrub brothers
Hollywood + 2
CHillin, you can add me and my family to the list. ;)
Quote from: Hollywood on November 15, 2005, 03:03:33 PM
CHillin, you can add me and my family to the list. ;)
I jumped in and went ahaead and added ya.
I'm in, too.
I don't know if I will be able to make it. If I can it may be in the afternoon.
Chillinthemost
Anoriginal
Smokinzilla
JJames
Moose
Hometownboy
Bigscrub brothers
Hollywood + 2
GPSKurt
Yunt2ride?
I wil have my pops with me
hey, i'm new here but i wanna go. i ride a banshee,wife rides a raptor (barely),and 2 daughters share a 90. we usually camp at a place in onf near blue hole (not blue sink) blue hole is pretty primitive, its in the church lake prairie area. (just south of 40 and west of 314) can't camp there during gun season.
i gotta couple questions about this place. if i do go i gotta leave tampa early so any replies would be great. thanks, Kelly B.
Welcome aboard, KB. I'm leaving my kids at home for this one, the sand will swallow little bikes. There are 4 of us going up and we are going to make a weekend of it. We are going to ride Jasper all day on Sat. and hit a secret spot on the way home on Sun.
thanks chillin- you think it'll be ok anyways with the kids i can keep them around the campsite or is it definetely not for them. i'm a little worried about onf since last weekend when we went (allot of hunters)
The problem is that you are riding in a dry river bed. From where we start at the bridge you can go either direction about 10 miles but the river bed is not that wide. I have only been once and it was almost 2 years ago but I think that "staying by the truck" would not be much fun. This is coming from someone that rarely leaves the kids behind, I have 2 girls and a boy.
As far as Ocala, I have a weekend camp there but I wont be riding there until hunting season is over.
thanks again, i see some other people in this forum are going to yucapan. never been there either. i dont know where i'm gonna go. maybe big scrub and just kinda feel it out. i just hate the hunter/atver user conflict thing. especially w/ kids. any other places let me know or call me at 813-786-3096 thanks
hey rappy 350 i have to meet some folks in ellisville on the way up i don't want to hold anybody up i guess we'll me up at the river
green rancher/green forman/blue and silver ford/
c-ya there steve
ok that sounds great I am going up to live oak this weekend to meet some friends, so I might just scout out the place real quick.
I am going to try and make this on. Have not been able to ride much lately. If I do make it it will be me and my son. We are planing on camping at the Suwannee River Music Park on Friday nite and rideing on Sat. Then head back home on Sun. Should be a nice place to camp as they have some things going on at the camp ground. We do the tent thing so will be in the primitave aera back behind the lake. Two large tents with 4X4 Black Ford F150 and a White Expadition. You can not ride ATV's, take them off of the trailer or even start them but we have camped there before and really enjoy it.
Sure do hope to make this ride.
Hey guys I just got back from the river and the heat was present. And he was giving his fair share of tickets. It looked really busy so I will probably end up going early.
is it true it is illegal to ride in the river bed and they are handing out tickets now? saw a thread in the "Where to Ride?" section.
No the cop was handing out tickets to people that were parked on the right of way
It looks like yet another spot closed down. We need to find out for sure whats going on, its a long drive to get run off.
This is the full scoop.
Myself and my nephews were heading down to the riverbed today (sun). We stopped for gas on sr6 at the s&s gas station. The clerk asked us where we were going to ride, I told her the riverbed and she told me that several deputies had been in the store this week and mentioned to her that a new ordinance had been passed on monday making it a misdemeanor to ride there.
We went down there anyway to see what was going on. Everyone was still riding so I called up the sheriff on my cell phone, they told me that it was true and they were intending to warn people first, then start arresting repeat offenders.
Nothing may ever come of this, or they could start handing out warnings and/or tickets tomorrow, I have no idea. All I know is I am going to keep riding there until someone tells me (in person) something different. Difference is, we only live 10 minutes away so it's no big deal, but if I was organising a large ride there, involving people from all over, it would be prudent to make some calls before everyone drove up.
Quote from: Chillinthemost on November 21, 2005, 01:24:46 AM
It looks like yet another spot closed down. We need to find out for sure whats going on, its a long drive to get run off.
yea, im with you.
I'm assuming this ride is off?
I'm waiting to hear also.
I just called the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office. They said the ordinance is already in effect and they allow NO RIDING anywhere in the river bed.
THAT SUCKS
well with that said, this ride is cancelled. i knew it would happen sooner or later. i was hoping for later. oh well.
jeff
I wish no one would have told me about this place now, lol. Everyone I have talked to goes on and on how they will drop everything just to go ride here and could ride here everyday. It sucks I never got to ride there.
can anyone tell me where this locationis and is, and is it worth the drive from St. Pete?
Lee
Quote from: doc700polaris on December 01, 2005, 03:06:24 AM
can anyone tell me where this locationis and is, and is it worth the drive from St. Pete?
Lee
I wouldnt recommend going their, its illegal now.