2004 Honda Recon ES - I accidentally submerged it. It runs but if you give it gas it shuts off. Had to push it home... >:( What should I do? Does it just need some time to dry out? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Ginny
Clean jets, clean carb (not as hard as it sounds) and drain all the gas out.
dude that always happens. ;D
You could take the spark plug out and trying to start it and see if the water comes out. if nothing comes out start it, and let it build compression. Trying clean the air filter and change the oil.
Thanks, guys! :)
Hey Ginny,first off just try draining the float bowl,If it starts and runs there is no water in the fuel tank. The problem I found with the honda's is the carb.overflow tube needs to be plugged,(easiest with a golf tee) If you don't plug it it works kinda like a water level. When you go in deep water it let's water in the carb, and if you fill the air box with water it goes straigt into the crankcase,so check the oil also. Hope this helps, Jason
I've got water in my carb a few times. It's easy to fix. Find the screw at the bottom of the bowl, back it out 1 or 2 turns, watch the gas drain on the ground. 3 to 4 ounces should do it. Mine always clears up shortly after I do this.
I plug it with a golf tee now when I know I'll be in deep water.
Thanks so much y'all! I'm going to find the time to work on it this evening and I'll let y'all know how it goes! :)
Good as new! Thanks! :)
Well what was it ?
Water in the carb. ;D
I like how you said "accidentally submerged it".
LOL ;D ;)
Did you check the oil? If its milky looking you HAVE to change it AND YOUR FILTER up to four times. This will clean the water out of your engine. You have to change the filter too, some people forget about it.
The recons don't have oil filters, just a internal screen and you have to split the cases to get to it. So if it does have water in the crank case just keep changing the oil till it comes out looking like clean oil. Jason
The oil is fine, not milky at all. Water didn't get to it. :)
Than you did a good job right
Don't sweat it Ginny, keep on riding. Jason
No filter? Cool less stuff to change. Sounds like you got it.
Quote from: kodiak-jason on October 06, 2005, 04:29:53 PM
Hey Ginny,first off just try draining the float bowl,If it starts and runs there is no water in the fuel tank. The problem I found with the honda's is the carb.overflow tube needs to be plugged,(easiest with a golf tee) If you don't plug it it works kinda like a water level. When you go in deep water it let's water in the carb, and if you fill the air box with water it goes straigt into the crankcase,so check the oil also. Hope this helps, Jason
Is the overflow tube the one that comes out of the bottom of the carb?
Most likely, if it goes down towards the ground. The other vents go to the atmosphere and vented to the top.