Hey All,
New to the site yet went with all of you on the Rodman Dam ride this past January. Also saw some of you guys down at the David Allen Coe Concert near Lake Okeechobee. Great time at both!!
Thinking about buying a Honda Rincon or a Yamaha Grizzly 660. :-/ Any thoughts about which might be better. I'm mostly a trail rider with an itchy "trigger finger" ;D and have been know to occasionally partake in a little mud throwing. I have heard good things about both. I know the Grizzly is less expensive but the Rincon has a transmission vs. a belt. I've always been a Honda man but am willing to expand my horizons.
Any help would be great.
JAG
For mud I'd perfer the Honda because everything is sealed.
If you're doing more trail riding than mudding then go with the Rinny. The Rinny has no low end in the mud but is a great trail quad.
Man, there was an episode about 2 weeks ago on the ATV Television show on outdoor channel. They broke it down and it was great show. I believe it was the Grizzly, the Rincon, the new Suzuki King and the polaris. The new suzuki was king by far based on their test and recomendations. Then the Grizzly came second
And here it is: http://www.atvtv.com/unlimitedclass.html
This should be very helpful
Suzuki: 9.75
Grizzly: 9.08
Rincon: 8.54
These are the best!!!
I personally ride the Suzuki Vinson 500. There are no belts all gears. You can add anything you want to it a diff lock winch tires anything you need. Im not to convinced with the belt thing yet. My buddy Mike has a king quad and the thing does have quite a pick up its 700cc's also. the Honda is a 400cc i dont know how you fell about a lil less power nut with any of those bikes you really cant go wrong !!! they all bring diif things that you may want or not.
I would say the Grizzly. It has more power then the rinny. Also the rinny has no low end or locker so that is two strikes aginst it for mud. But the honda does not have gears or a belt. So i would go with the grizz. Actually CAOSPOP the suzuki has a belt transmission and the Rinicon is a 650.
QuoteI personally ride the Suzuki Vinson 500. There are no belts all gears. You can add anything you want to it a diff lock winch tires anything you need. Im not to convinced with the belt thing yet. My buddy Mike has a king quad and the thing does have quite a pick up its 700cc's also. the Honda is a 400cc i dont know how you fell about a lil less power nut with any of those bikes you really cant go wrong !!! they all bring diif things that you may want or not.
The product test was done for 4x4's that are 600cc and above
Not the five speed. 1 down 4 up with low and high range. and 4wd on the fly.
Here are the specs on the vinson manual LT-F500F
Manufacturer Suzuki
Model Year 2004
Model Vinson™ Manual 500 4x4 (LT-F500F)
M.S.R.P. $6,399.00*
Engine SOHC, four-stroke, single cylinder, liquid cooled
Displacement 493cc
Bore x Stroke 87.5 X 82.0mm
Compression Ratio 10.2:1
Carburetion Keihin™ CVK36
Starter Electric and recoil
Transmission 5-speed with reverse and 2-speed subtransmission, 2WD/4WD front differential
Final Drive Shaft drive
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition CDI
Suspension Front: Independent, double A-arm, oil-damped, five preload settings
Rear: Swingarm-type, oil-damped, five preload settings
Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic disc
Rear: Single hydraulic disc
Tires Front: AT 25 x 8-12
Rear: AT 25 x 10-12
Length 82.5 in.
Width 46.1 in.
Height 47.2 in.
Wheelbase 50.0 in.
Seat Height 33.9 in.
Ground Clearance 9.8 in.
Dry Weight 604 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal.
Colors Champion Yellow
Green
Red
Here are the specs of the Vinson LT-A500F
Manufacturer Suzuki
Model Year 2004
Model Vinson™ Auto 500 4x4 (LT-A500F)
M.S.R.P. $6,599.00*
Engine SOHC, four-stroke, single cylinder, liquid cooled
Displacement 493cc
Bore x Stroke 87.5 X 82.0mm
Compression Ratio 10.2:1
Carburetion Keihin™ CVK36
Starter Electric and recoil
Transmission V-belt CVT automatic with high/low range sub-transmission, 2WD/4WD front differential
Final Drive Shaft drive
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition CDI
Suspension Front: Independent, double A-arm, oil-damped, five preload settings
Rear: Swingarm-type, oil-damped, five preload settings
Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic disc
Rear: Single hydraulic disc
Tires Front: AT 25 x 8-12
Rear: AT 25 x 10-12
Length 82.5 in.
Width 46.1 in.
Height 47.2 in.
Wheelbase 50.0 in.
Seat Height 33.9 in.
Ground Clearance 9.9 in.
Dry Weight 604 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal.
Colors Yellow
Green
Red
QuoteI personally ride the Suzuki Vinson 500. There are no belts all gears. You can add anything you want to it a diff lock winch tires anything you need. Im not to convinced with the belt thing yet. My buddy Mike has a king quad and the thing does have quite a pick up its 700cc's also. the Honda is a 400cc i dont know how you fell about a lil less power nut with any of those bikes you really cant go wrong !!! they all bring diif things that you may want or not.
I stand corrected the kodiak is the 400cc
TEXT :) Thanks for the ATV TV review. Seems they all are close. ??? These are the '04 models though in that review. :-/ Wish they could do the '05 version. I'm surprised about Suzuki. I didn't think they were up there in the rankings. Again thanks to all who replied. I'll dig a little bit more and see what happens.
Any other info from anyone else would be great!!! Anyone own one of these?
JAG
There is not a lot of change between the two maybe just in colors here are the specs. hope you make an informed desision ...
Manufacturer Suzuki
Model Year 2005
Model Vinson™ 500 Auto 4x4 Camo LT-A500FC
M.S.R.P. $6,699.00*
Engine SOHC, four-stroke, single cylinder
Displacement 493 cc
Bore x Stroke 87.5 x 82.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10.2:1
Carburetion Keihin™ CVK36
Cooling Liquid
Starter Electric and recoil
Transmission V-belt CVT automatic with high/low range sub-transmission, 2WD/4WD front differential
Final Drive Shaft drive
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition CDI
Suspension FRONT: Ind. double A-arm, oil-damped, 5 preload settings
REAR: Swingarm-type, oil-damped, 5 preload settings
Brakes FRONT: Dual hydraulic disc
REAR: Single hydraulic disc
Tires FRONT: AT 25 x 8-12
REAR: AT 25 x 10-12
Length 82.5 in.
Width 46.1 in.
Height 48.6 in.
Wheelbase 50.0 in.
Seat Height 33.9 in.
Ground Clearance 9.9 in.
Dry Weight 604 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal.
Colors Advantage® Max-4 HD™
Here's the other...
Manufacturer Suzuki
Model Year 2005
Model Vinson™500 4x4 Manual Camoflage LT-F500FC
M.S.R.P. $6,499.00*
Engine SOHC, four-stroke, single cylinder
Displacement 493 cc
Bore x Stroke 87.5 x 82.0mm
Compression Ratio 10.2:1
Carburetion Keihin™ CVK36
Cooling Liquid
Starter Electric and recoil
Transmission 5-speed with reverse and 2-speed subtransmission, 2WD/4WD front differential
Final Drive Shaft drive
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition CDI
Suspension Front: Ind. double A-arm, oil damped, 5 preload settings Rear: Swingarm-type, oil-damped, 5 preload settings
Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic disc
Rear: Single hydraulic disc
Tires Front: AT 25 x 8-12
Rear: AT 25 x 10-12
Length 82.5 in.
Width 46.1 in.
Height 48.6 in.
Wheelbase 50.0 in.
Seat Height 33.9 in.
Ground Clearance 9.8 in.
Dry Weight 604 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal.
Colors Advantage® Max-4 HD™
Here's the specs on the Grizzly
Manufacturer Yamaha
Model Year 2005
Model Grizzly® 660 Auto. 4x4
M.S.R.P. $7,199.00*
Engine 4-Stroke Single, 5-Valve SOHC
Displacement 660 cc
Bore x Stroke 100 x 84 mm
Compression Ratio 9.1:1
Carburetion Mikuni 42 mm BSR
Cooling Liquid Cooled with Fan
Starter Electric with Auxiliary pull
Transmission Yamaha Ultramatic® V-Belt with all-wheel engine braking / Hi, Lo, Neut., Rev., Park
Final Drive Shaft
Ignition DC – CDI
Suspension Front: Independent Double Wishbone, 7.1 in. w/ 5-way Preload Adjustment
Rear: Independent Double Wishbone, 9.5 in. w/ 5-way Preload Adjustment
Brakes Front: Dual Hydraulic Discs
Rear: Hydraulic Disc, Four Piston, Shaft Mounted
Tires Front: AT25 x 8-12 with Aluminum Wheels
Rear: AT25 x 10-12 with Aluminum Wheels
Length 82.1 in.
Width 45.3 in.
Height 47.6 in.
Wheelbase 50.2 in.
Seat Height 34.6 in.
Turning Radius 126 in.
Ground Clearance 11.8 in.
Dry Weight 600 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 5.3 gal.
Load Capacity Front: 99 lbs.
Rear: 187 lbs.
Towing Capacity 1,212 lbs.
Colors Hunter Green, Red, Steel Blue, Realtree Hardwoods® High Definition Camouflage (additional cost), Advantage Wetlands™ Camouflage (additional cost), Metallic Black (Special Edition - additional co
You can go to WWW.BrowardMotorsports.com and you can compare the Grizzly and the Vinson side by side.
There was a typo on one of the specs of the Vinson. My buddy at the dealer said that the Vinsons cooloing system also comes with a fan and water cooled.
Thanks Thanks Thanks!!! :D I think though I like the look of the Grizzly & the Rincon. Most of the performance features I like seem to slant in those two's direction.
Thanks again for all the info and links!!!
JAG
8)
I'd buy the Polaris :o
Welcome to the board Jeff!!! Can't wait to break your new bike with ya. Hey, once you get it, let's go down to big cypress...Ricky (big daddy) will show us the good trails.
Also, call me...we need to set up stuff for ranch weekend.
I like my grizz. My friend has a 500 manual vinny and it is tough also. I believe the Grizz was the first to offer low range,irs and locker. They haven't changed anything since 02 besides the axles that were made smaller in 03. If all else fails check out www.highlifter.com forums.
I was looking at the Rincon & Grizzly also. I decided on the Vinson for a couple different reasons. The size is more managable, you can throw it around where as the larger quads throw you around. Another reason was the price. In hind sight though, I think I would go with the KingQuad, it is only $500 more and you get the independant rear suspension, 200 more cc's, front dif lock and fuel injection. Now back to your actual question, lol, I would go with the Rincon if you can afford it. It is a great bike!
[shadow=red,left,300]Ha Ha Tony!!! :P Yeah we will have to go on a few excursions once I pull the trigger. Thanks to all who replied. I appreciaite the help.
JAG[/shadow]
i have bolth and i would go with the grizzly
bbf,
Why do you say go witht he Grizzly?? :-/
JAG
Hey I say go with the grizzly, that front diff lock is real handy when your in nasty mud, plus the performance is outstanding. Check out the lastest edition of dirtwheels it has a write up about the 05 grizzly and it still rates very well against the larger cc bikes that have come out. The other two I would suggest are the susuki king quad 700 or the kawasaki brute force 750. 8)
QuoteHey I say go with the grizzly, that front diff lock is real handy when your in nasty mud, plus the performance is outstanding. Check out the lastest edition of dirtwheels it has a write up about the 05 grizzly and it still rates very well against the larger cc bikes that have come out. The other two I would suggest are the susuki king quad 700 or the kawasaki brute force 750. 8)
dirtwheels send a link