i have a 06 kodiak with 25x10x12 rear and 25x8x12 front i was lookin at 26 or 27 but with no performance loss plus can someone tell me how deep of water could i go thru in stock form
I have 27" mudlites on my 450, its slow it down a little.
I put 26" mud lites and C series rims on my 04 Kodiak 450 and noticed a small power loss. More noticable was the handling. Stock tires and wheels are about 15-20 pounds ea. Mud tires on aftermarket wheels will be 38-42 pounds ea. This is about doubling the unsprung weight of your tires and wheels. Just be prepared for your handling to be slower and steering to be heavier.
They say in stock form, you shouldn't go through water deeper than the top of your tires. I have gone through deeper with my Kodiak. I have gone through water to the bottom of the head lights with no problem.
The lesser the tread on the tire you choose the less power loss you will feel. Although if you go to 27+ you will feel a loss no matter what tread. If yo mu a lot go w/ a 26 mud tire to give you traction but minimize power loss. IF you are a trail rider you can go 27 in soomething like a Mudlight or 589 and not notice much of a power loss on the trails.
Eiter way you can throw on a pipe, filter and jet kit and recover your lost power and then some.
Dont worry about it.
put whatever tire you like on and add some extras to regain your loss
Had the same Question!Thanks for the info!!
i would say go up 1" from stock to mudding tires, yes like everyone said there will be some power loss, but there will be less if you go up 1" verses 2".
if u put bigger tires on there you are going to lose a little bit but i like the idea of putting a pipe and K&N airfilter on to make up the lossed horse power
I've got 26' outlaws on my 96 kodiak 400, I think I still have enough power but be careful if you get a bigger tire you'll start breaking other things on your atv or you'll have to make other mods.
i run 27 inch vamps on my rancher but i got a pipe/filter/jetkit and i can turn them good
I have an 05 450 I've gone through water above the headlights. the thing you have to remember is the air intake for the trans ,if auto, is under what would be the hood,and it will fill with water .when it gets to much the belt will slip to the point of not pulling the atv at all. I found this out about half way threw a really deep water hole. like chest deep, took better part of 10 min. to drain all water out and get it to pull itself again.
I have 26" Mud Lites on a 500 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Only power mod so far is a K & N air filter.
The bike seems to still have plenty of power and thanks to the tires, i rarely need to take it out of 2 WD.
I got 26" mudlites on my Kodi and it turns em just fine they are on type 5 wheels one thing this set up will do for the Kodiak is make it a heck of alot wider and more stable . power slides very nice now where with stock set-up tires rolled and front end dived minimal power loss noticed I never used to ride my kodi now I love it
i herd mudlites suck in mud can sum 1 fill me in on this cuz i got 27inch vamps and they r awsome in mud
I have 27x10x12 fronts and 27x12x12 on rear vamps on my 01 Kodiak and yes I lost a little power but got is back when the baffle blew out of my muffler. As far as water I would not go any deeper then headlight. I have my bike complete snorkeled because of getting my belt wet all the time.
The easiest way to correct lose of power from tires if you have an automatic is the clutch kit. It does wonders, low end tourqe from hell.