Seriously.....Has anyone read the book "GPS for Dummies"? If so, what did you think of it?
I havn't read it, but I know most people with GPSs dont know how to use them. I have a garmin on my boat and a garmin legend that I use on my bikes. I know them inside and out. Read the manual that comes with it and learn one function at a time and play with it in your neighborhood and in you car and get used to it. They are amazing little machines.
Chillin' is right. Most people only use 25-50% of the GPS' capabilities. It is a POWERFUL tool if you use it.
Kurt
I agree with Chillin & GSPKurt
I can honestly say that a GPS saved my life.... I took the time to familiarize myself with it and it paid off. If it was not for my GPS I would not be typing on this screen right now!!!!
me, i am an electronics freak. i will read the manual top to bottom inside-out, and any which way you can(aint that a clint eastwood movie). i know the full capabilites of mostly everything i own. call me a freak but I LIKE IT!
A gps saved me in Iraq too. Maps are cool but land nav is hard when all you have to associate map to ground is sand dunes. I have my own personal gps now and am still learning all its neat little tricks.
I feel that of all the gear we use out in the woods , the GPS is probably the most useful tool we have.
Several years ago, late one night we got turned around while tracking a deer and in the process could not locate my buggy. It was 9 pm and we were several miles from the road.
When i parked the buggy i marked the position and took the GPS with me not knowing how far we were going to walk. After a couple of hours of tracking we had no idea where the buggy was and tried for a brief moment to see if we could find our way to it , with no luck. Upon using it I realized how off we were in our return path.
That gadget more than paid for it self that night .
The alternative would have been to spend the night waitin' for daybreak.
Can't say enough good things about it .
Always carry plenty of spare batteries and a compass as backup.