I really want to keep my quad in good condition. But some of my freinds say Yama-lube and others say bel-ray or other oils???
go with the yamaha brand.
When I change the oil in my truck I save it and use it in my quads
i use yamaha its a yamaha stay with yamaha porducts you cant go wrong
I use water in my case. Works great! ;D -Mark
Stop it, you guys. He asked a legitimate question.
You can't go wrong with Yamalube or Bel-Ray. I use Mobil1 synthetic motorcycle oil. You can actually get it at Wal-Mart.
Hope this helps.
I'm running amsoil. when i changed from yamalube, i notice a HUGE difference. shifting was so much smoother, it was like butter
Quote from: backinsaddle on September 08, 2005, 02:30:42 PM
I'm running amsoil. when i changed from yamalube, i notice a HUGE difference. shifting was so much smoother, it was like butter
Come to think of it, I did notice the shifting was easier when I switched to synthetic.
So "Amsoil" is a synthetic that can be purchased at any auto parts store?
Pat
No, amsoil you have to go through a dealer for. You can go to www.amsoil.com and find a local dealer.
Amsoil is a funny product. Most people don't know about it, or don't know much about it. I grew up in a family of mechanics, none of them have ever used it, but they all heard good things. I took a chance and am very happy so far. I'm running it in both of my vehicles and the quads. I've been told by more than one source that 85% of all nascar cars are running amsoil, regardless of what it says on the hood (don't know if i believe it, but it sounded good)
I will tell you that it's the only product that is truly synthetic, it is made in a lab. All the other oils that say they are synthetic, are still petroleum based.
Personnally, i would stay away from the honda/yamaha lubes and run a better oil like the ones mentioned in this and other threads on the topic (bel-ray, motul, mobil1). As long as you change oil regularly, probably doesn't matter a lot what you use.
Quote from: backinsaddle on September 08, 2005, 02:30:42 PM
I'm running amsoil. when i changed from yamalube, i notice a HUGE difference. shifting was so much smoother, it was like butter
AMSOIL HERE ALSO. Big improvements over all temp is down ETC
Motul technosynsthesis here. Smells sweet enough for me to :drink.gif and that's no lie! Buy a can and get a wiff of it. Definitely noticed a drastic improvement in my streetbikes performance when I started using it in it, so I started using it in my quad as well and she hasn't missed a beat. Alot of streetbike racers use it and I've been using it for awhile now as well.
I am an AMSOIL dealer if you want some.
i have heard some verry good things about amsoil. i havn't used it in my quad yet but i'm deffinately going to put it in there next oil change
I've used MOTUL for about the last 10 oil changes in my blaster and it has worked great but That AMSOIL sounds pretty sweeet have to try that.
DON'T USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN A BRAND NEW ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO ....ONLY AFTER IT IS BROKEN IN . AND THEN ITS NOT THE GREATEST THING FOR YOUR CLUTCH WHICH OPERATES ON THE PRINCIPLES OF FRICTION . ON A 2005 YFZ450 THE MANUAL RECOMMENDS BETWEEN 10W30 AND 20W40 DEPENDING ON THE OUTDOOR TEMP . LOOK AT THE API RECOMMENDATIONS SE , SF, OR SG . THESE ARE LISTED FOR A REASON . FOR EXAMPLE MOBIL ONE OIL AT WAL-MART OR EVEN YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORES MOST LIKELY WANT INCLUDE THIS . IN OTHER WORDS MAKE SURE YOU USE OIL INTENDED FOR MOTORCYCLE ENGINES .
TALK TO THE PROS MECHANICS AT THE TRACK ....... OR JUST USE WATER LIKE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED ....LOL
Quote from: nATiVcracker on September 12, 2005, 12:01:17 AM
DON'T USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN A BRAND NEW ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO ....ONLY AFTER IT IS BROKEN IN . AND THEN ITS NOT THE GREATEST THING FOR YOUR CLUTCH WHICH OPERATES ON THE PRINCIPLES OF FRICTION . ON A 2005 YFZ450 THE MANUAL RECOMMENDS BETWEEN 10W30 AND 20W40 DEPENDING ON THE OUTDOOR TEMP . LOOK AT THE API RECOMMENDATIONS SE , SF, OR SG . THESE ARE LISTED FOR A REASON . FOR EXAMPLE MOBIL ONE OIL AT WAL-MART OR EVEN YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORES MOST LIKELY WANT INCLUDE THIS . IN OTHER WORDS MAKE SURE YOU USE OIL INTENDED FOR MOTORCYCLE ENGINES .
TALK TO THE PROS MECHANICS AT THE TRACK ....... OR JUST USE WATER LIKE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED ....LOL
Welcome Newbie. Now on to the good stuff... The only thing I could agree with you on is to Use the oil for a motorcycle. Automotive oils have a frictions modifier that will cause damage to a wet clutch system similar to most quads. as for not breaking an engine in on Synthetics. I will have to disagree. I drained the factory oil out of my YFZ as soon as I got it home and installed Amsoil 0W50 spoke to a couple tech reps from amsoil prior to doing so. The only thing that was mentioned is that it may take a little longer for it to break in. I have been Running the Amsoil 20W50 ever since. not a lick of problems unlike what I have read on YFZ central and Bluetraxx. just my opinion.
Look there is a important point, one of the Yamaha techs, mentioned to me that if you go synthetic, you shouldn't go back to regular oil, and also said that the clutch worns out a little faster...
If your quad is fully broken in, Use "AMSOIL, for atv transmissions". We run amsoil in all of our race engines after breakin. I have done a lot of testing with oils and clutchs and we have found that AMSOIL has produced the best results in our engines.
Mike