Hey guys how about getting a group ride set up for 4-7-13 at Ocala National Forrest ive been wanting to ride there and thought it might be fun to get a good group to go out there.
I'm interested. What time and where ? I also live in Spring Hill. I'm most likely gonna be on a little 250. Unless I get lucky and find a good deal on something else before then.
P.S. I'm older than dirt but I don't putt putt around . I'll do the best I can with what I got .
Well I'm not old but I don't get crazy as far as time and where I'm hoping that someone who has goes that have been there before to guide us
I'd like to go. Gotta see if I can get a baby sitter lined up.
I'm gonna do my best to try to go since I'm not allowed to ride alone
Cool it looks like we have some interest I will be there plus 2 hopefully by this weekend we can pic a time and meeting place
Quote from: trailrider77 on March 26, 2013, 01:27:18 AM
Well I'm not old but I don't get crazy as far as time and where I'm hoping that someone who has goes that have been there before to guide us
I've been there a few times and I have maps and GPS. I use the trailhead on 316. Not far from the 88 store. But any trailhead is fine.
I don't have a permit but there should still be some available at the trailheads. If I start ATVing a lot I'll invest in a 1 year permit later. I'm going to Croom tomorrow and get that permit 1st cause it's close to home. I now have a rotating day off during the week.
Quote from: 1Scorpion on March 26, 2013, 09:16:27 PM
Quote from: trailrider77 on March 26, 2013, 01:27:18 AM
Well I'm not old but I don't get crazy as far as time and where I'm hoping that someone who has goes that have been there before to guide us
I've been there a few times and I have maps and GPS. I use the trailhead on 316. Not far from the 88 store. But any trailhead is fine.
I don't have a permit but there should still be some available at the trailheads. If I start ATVing a lot I'll invest in a 1 year permit later. I'm going to Croom tomorrow and get that permit 1st cause it's close to home. I now have a rotating day off during the week.
As a hobby i collect GPX files of ATV trails and when i get enough trails i make a Google earth map and GPS maps. If you have any GPX files you would like to share let me know. I also have a KML file of all Croom lettered trails i could send you if you want.
Thanks Thunderdually. However all I have is a Magellan eXplorist 200 . It's a small handheld unit I had mounted on my Rancher 4X4 when I had it. I cannot download maps to it. But it has gotten me out the the woods the short way several times. And it's rugged and waterproof.
If I have time tomorrow I'll rig a mount on the little Ozark for it. I'm taking the Ozark to Croom for a shake down ride in the morning.
I'm looking forward to meeting you and other ATVer's.
Ok so how about we meet at ONF at 10:00 am 4-7-13 and for those of ya'll that r coming from down south maybe we can meet at the racetrack gas station off of i75 and hwy 50 exit around 8:30?
That sounds good Carlos!! What Trail Head you plan on using? I like the T.H. on 316, its the easiest to get to when coming in from the south if you plan on riding the north trails. I havent
been to that T.H. since they paved it.
Does everybody want to pack samiches or eat @ the little resturant in Salt Springs?
Yes 1Scorpion they have permits @ the T.H., I don't have the yearly pass either & you won't be the only "old timer" there!!!!
Quote from: SMP63 on March 27, 2013, 02:52:04 PM
That sounds good Carlos!! What Trail Head you plan on using? I like the T.H. on 316, its the easiest to get to when coming in from the south if you plan on riding the north trails. I havent
been to that T.H. since they paved it.
Does everybody want to pack samiches or eat @ the little resturant in Salt Springs?
Yes 1Scorpion they have permits @ the T.H., I don't have the yearly pass either & you won't be the only "old timer" there!!!!
I guess your trail is the winner since it looks like you know where to go as far as food ill pack some snacks but we can eat wherever you want.
Meeting up at the Racetrac sounds good to me. I usually pack burgers and a small grill, but I'm okay with going out, also.
Ok so i just wanted to put some info up as far as passes go you can purchase a 3 day pass for $10.00 at the trailhead you do not need to have the title of your ATV with you just put your money in the envalope and put it in the box then your good to go.
Looks like this ride is taking shape. ;D I'll go with crowd as far as where to eat. I always pack drinks and snacks. Any idea how far or long we are riding ? I have no fuel guage on my ATV. Didn't know if I should carry an extra gallon of fuel. Cause my reserve don't work. When it's out it's out.
I always carry xtra fuel but I also have plenty of tow rope lol
any sports quads or just 4x4?
I'm actually heading out to ocala riding on easter with a few people. But wouldn't mind going again!
Quote from: trailrider77 on March 27, 2013, 08:34:14 PM
I always carry xtra fuel but I also have plenty of tow rope lol
Let's hope we don't need the tow rope. I won't bother with the gas then. I'll leave some at the truck in case we go back to the trucks I'll top off.
I can't wait till the ride. I just changed the oil and checked everything out.
Your more than welcome to join us apkshorty!! Not sure what everbody is riding.
1Scorpion I think its about 80 miles around the outside loop of the trails. No worries about carrying gas, I can carry 2-1 gal. cans & cooler that fit nicely in my polaris box & I can make it around without refueling.
Sounds like this is gonna be a fun ride I just have to follow someone up so I know where I'm going
Well u can meet us off the i75 exit if u want
Alright sounds good
You know I might just make it. I saw two trailheads off 316; one is right next to 19, apparently near the Salt Springs Connector? The other is the Pipeline trailhead a bit west. Which one were you guys talking about?
BTW SMP63 I rode with you and a pretty good size group about a year ago at 5A; I have a green Grizz 450. We followed that crazy man Derek around on his sport bike most of the day.
aww i would go but ill be at hardrock MX in ocala that day :/
Quote from: Mingy on March 29, 2013, 10:14:38 PM
You know I might just make it. I saw two trailheads off 316; one is right next to 19, apparently near the Salt Springs Connector? The other is the Pipeline trailhead a bit west. Which one were you guys talking about?
BTW SMP63 I rode with you and a pretty good size group about a year ago at 5A; I have a green Grizz 450. We followed that crazy man Derek around on his sport bike most of the day.
Hows it been going James? I had a blast that day @ 5A!!!! We are talking about Pipeline T.H.. The one right next to 19 is the Salt Springs Connector Trail corral & is not a T.H..Hope you can make it James, the more the merrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I thought so. Looks like I will be there. The trails are in good condition but I will bring an axe in case. Any chance we might ride, pack up, drive south, and do the Centennial as well? I did that last time with Strubby, had a blast, except we rode the Centennial first. We needed a shoehorn and a jar of vaseline to get his side by side thru the posts at the TH for the Delancey trails - it was like Bill Clinton shoving Monica Lewinsky under the desk - but where there is a will there is a way....shazam......
rolback1 I would guess it all depends on what time we finish riding the north trails James.
Although in order to ride both I think we would need to pack a lunch & forego the resturant, sometimes theres a line to get in. What does everybody think about riding both?
I'll do what everyone else decides, but I usually pack my own lunch in any case. Either way a good time, and more daylight now too.
Can't wait seems like its gonna be a fun time
What's the rules for riding there?
Helmets? Only one person per ATV? Tires? Etc?
Larry
From what I saw I think only 16 and under need helmets didn't say nothing about 2 on 1 bike and as far as tires go it might be easier to ride with them cause it might be tricky riding on just rotors lol
Very funny Carlos !!! rolback1
I once heard that you couldn't have deep threaded tires up there. ???
Larry
I have ridden there many times and I have seen many people riding 2-up. Not all the bikes I saw came from the factory as two seaters, to be sure, so technically they were in violation of the rules. Same with deep tread tires as well......but as long as you are not tearing up the trails and causing a lot of work for the rangers and volunteers, then there is no problem. Stay sane and you'll be OK. Not much mud or water but miles and miles of nice scenery. Centennial Trail loop is 40+ miles.
Thanks Jim. If I go I may put my other tires back on. Larry
No helmets required if you are over 16 either.
Thanks Jim!
I would be coming west on Hwy 40 from I-95. Where is the trail head that you are parking at? I need directions. Never been there before. Larry
No need to swap out tires Larry, I have rode up to rangers & talked with them & nothing has ever been said about my tires. As for riding 2up I see it all the time also, the last ranger I talked to about it said he sends them back to the T.H. to drop off the passenger. He said he didn't write tickets for it because he wanted everybody to have a good time. I asked him what the ticket costed & he said it had been so long he'd have to look it up!!!!!! I hope you & June can make it.
We're going to try to make it Steve, but we need directions. Larry
Here you go Larry!!! Head west on HWY 40 to HWY 19 & turn RIGHT on it (north). Stay on 19 until you go thru Salt Springs & turn LEFT onto Co. Rd. 316 (west). Trail Head is about
1 1/2 miles after you pass N.E. 203rd Ave (Forest Road 88). There will be a sign about the gun range before you pass Forest Road 88. Also they have a sign (ATV Trail Head) before you get to the T.H. which will be on your right.
I think I'm gonna run my stock tires with mine being so aggressive would make for a long rough ride
Mostly soft dirt & sugar sand with a few areas of hard pack Treavor. I have rode up there with both kinds of tires & don't recall any big difference in the ride. Some parts of the trails will be tire hopped due to vehicle traffic. Swap out tires if you want, I am not.
I have decided to pack samiches, snacks & drinks but those who want to eat @ the resturant
can.
Thanks for the directions Steve! I would never have found you. I thought the trail head was off of Hwy 40. Larry
perhaps this helps...
(http://s5.postimg.org/8hfngmxhj/onf1.png)
Thanks! That helps a lot ! Larry
well im glad we are getting some rain these next couple of days hopefully it will keep the dust down 3 more days cant wait
I've been ready for over a week now! All I've got to do is a pack some drinks and snacks.
Are we having lunch at the trucks, on the trail, or the restuarant ?
How many riders are expected to be there ?
Scorpion around where in springhill are u located
Near Vetrans Park south of Spring Hill Dr.
Cool not to far from me I live by landover and mariner
Quote from: 1Scorpion on April 04, 2013, 10:20:19 PM
I've been ready for over a week now! All I've got to do is a pack some drinks and snacks.
Are we having lunch at the trucks, on the trail, or the restuarant ?
How many riders are expected to be there ?
Usually eat on the trail, Delancy Campground & use the picnic tables or @ the Lake Oklawaha
trail head, stoping along the way for a couple short breaks it takes me about 6 hours to do the outside loop of the trails. The last time me & the wife went to the resturant there was a 25 min.
wait to get seated & took almost 8 hours to do the loop. I try to stay close to the 20 MPH speed limit, makes stoping easier when meeting others headon that are hauling ass!!!
If everybody shows up there should be 10 or so wheelers (counting Carlos's 2 freinds & Larry & June).
If somebody else wants to lead the way & go faster thats ok with me, i'll keep up. I'm getting to old to get F'ed up in a headon collision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we deff dont need anyone to get into any kind of collision ill have snacks with me also so i will eat anywhere and as far as meeting how many people plan on meeting at the gas station off of i75 and hwy 50
See you @ the Racetrack around 8:30 Carlos!!!
Wish I could go with you all. My bikes are still torn down getting ready for Mud Muckers. Have fun!!
Quote from: Dirty Brutes on April 05, 2013, 11:53:37 AM
Wish I could go with you all. My bikes are still torn down getting ready for Mud Muckers. Have fun!!
Thanks man hope you have a blast at Mud Mukers maybe next time i can join you out there ive always wanted to go.
June and I are definitely going. What time should we be at the trail head at 316?
This will be our first time there and we will leave early so that you won't have to wait for us.
June has a Honda Rancher 420 4 wheel drive, but I'm going to leave my Grizzly 550 at home and bring the little Grizzly 300 2 wheel drive. If it's dry, I actually have more fun on the 300 than the 550.
Larry
i think 10am we should be at the trail head larry
Great !!! We will be there !!! Larry
The 2WD will be more than adequate, just have some extra gas just in case. I will be there about 9:00.
Thanks Jake!!!!!! You & Tracy have fun @ Mud Muckers!
I will be carrying 2-2 gal. cans of gas on my wheeler & I won't need them. I can make it around without refueling!
I'll be at the gas station at 8:30. Not sure if my wife will be along with me or not.
Quote from: Dirty Brutes on April 05, 2013, 11:53:37 AM
Wish I could go with you all. My bikes are still torn down getting ready for Mud Muckers. Have fun!!
Too bad we have conversed a few times about ATV's . I was hoping to meet you.
I'll meet you all at the trailhead. I'm an early riser so I'll grab breakfast along the way and get there early for a short warm up ride.
The Ozark 250 has made it around there once without fuel. However my wife was riding it.
Hey every one have a great and safe ride. Wife and i will be at Croom Saturday.
Thanks Merle!! Have a good time @ croom. Treavor are you gonna make it?
I'll be leaving north Lakeland around 7:30 to head to the store
Looks like there will be at least 8 of us.
Quote from: SMP63 on April 05, 2013, 04:15:04 PM
Thanks Jake!!!!!! You & Tracy have fun @ Mud Muckers!
We will try! You should try and make it up.
Quote from: 1Scorpion on April 05, 2013, 06:55:43 PM
Quote from: Dirty Brutes on April 05, 2013, 11:53:37 AM
Wish I could go with you all. My bikes are still torn down getting ready for Mud Muckers. Have fun!!
Too bad we have conversed a few times about ATV's . I was hoping to meet you.
We will one day. Life gets in the way a lot! lol.
Kountry, I'm leaving N Lakeland at 7:30 also. Give me a time and place if you want to roll out of town together.
I will be at circle k banana rd and 98 at 730 filling up
June and I went to this group ride this morning. We got up there at 8:55 AM. We kept taking small rides thru the woods, then returned to the parking lot to see if you guys were there yet. Finally at 11:05 AM, I said "screw you" and went riding with Palatkat who did show up. I thought " what a bunch of worthless friends I have". I couldn't call anybody as I had no cell phone service.
We had a good time and after Palatkat left, June and I drove another 54 miles for a total of 106.1 miles, 9 1/2 hours with very few breaks. After we were driving home and regained our cell phone service, I expected to receive some messages explaining of why you abandoned us. Nothing ! No apology or anything ! I thought " How can people do this to other people!"
A little south of Daytona it occurred to me, maybe the ride is on Sunday. Oops !
Sorry guys ! My mistake ! It is on Sunday ! I always ride on Saturdays. Hey, I'm 65 years old and I'm lucky if I can find my way home again when I go out.
I'm dead tired right now, but if I have any energy in the morning, I may drive the two hours back up there and ride with my good, good friends who will forgive me for thinking bad of them. If I'm not there by 10 AM, I will not be there.
You may all laugh out loud now !
Larry
Larry you are crazy but at least u were able to meet up with someone and had a good time
Larry, now that is funny as hell. Glad you had a good time.
That's for sure Carlos ! I am crazy and really did have a good time! June drove every one of those 106.1 miles with me and just as fast. In 2 months she will also be 65.
I really liked riding there !
Larry
Thanks Brutes !
Well I don't feel as bad now I thought it was today to till I looked at the date again
You should have came today Trevor. We were hauling butt when Palatkat was leading us. 3 1/2 hours with him in the lead wore us out. After he left, We rode very slowly for about ten miles till we recovered, then rode pretty fast for the rest of the day. Did I mention that we liked it there! :ThumbsUp.gif
Larry
Sounds like we are going to have to post the DAY & DATE up just for you Larry! rolback1
Glad you & June had fun.
I pulled a float thru the Chasco Parade in New Port Richey yesterday & it won the best looking float award! I love making money the easy way.
Not gonna make it to Mud Muckers Jake, I'm pulling a float to Miami for a parade on South Beach.
Up and ready to go ill see you guys in a little while
Believe it or not, June and I are ready to leave ! See you up there! Larry
Cant Wait For The Video.... Or To Go Next time :M
Had a great time today. Old guys rule.
June and I also had a great time today. We just now got home. Larry
I had a good time today can't wait to do it again. Trevor
I had a heat time glad to meet the new guy and see the everyone else it was a little dry for my taste but at the end we were booking it and it was fun Larry I'm surprised u left so early I thought you would stay riding till the am lil
I would have stayed longer Carlos, but the little blue Grizzly 300 was overheating and we had to keep stopping to add water. That took all of the fun out of the ride.
Larry
It was a great time riding with everybody yesterday!!!!!!!! Nice to meet you Bob & Roland.
I had a Great time. It was super meeting such a friendly group of riders.
It's a official Larry is crazy but, I mean this in a positive way. I wish I had his energy and attitude. I learned don't ask Larry and June to ride unless you ready to do 100 miles WOW!!
Thank you all for caring extra fuel and being so prepared. I can't wait to do that again.
I'm still finding dust on me and the little 250.
We need to do the Cenntenial trail and make it a double. Ride it one way and then reverse the direction. And ride it again. Thanks again ! ATVFLORIDA ROCKS.
aka Roland
I just checked the fuel in the 250 it still has about 2-3 inches I guess about a half gallon or better. Not bad considering we did over 60+ miles.
Hey Larry next time lets have a drag race . ;) If you ride the 300.
Rowland, a drag race you say !!!
You name the place and time and I'll be there with the Grizzly 300 !!! rolback1
It was nice meeting you and Bob. It was a fun day!
Larry
Found out why my little 300 was over heating. The air filter was filled with dust. June and I just cleaned both of ours the day before we left on Sat, but I guess 130 miles of dust clogged it up again. Larry
I don't think a dirty air filter would make it run hot Larry. It would increase fuel consumption
(make it run rich) & reduce power. I would still give the radiator a good cleaning!!!!!!!!!
It could also be a stuck thermostat.
Thanks Steve! We took all of the plastic off and blew the radiator out from the inside with air, then I took the garden hose and put water thru the radiator from the inside. You can see thru the radiator now. There was so much dust in the air filter, we though maybe there was no air getting thru, but I guess that's not the case.
When the air filter dries and we get it back on, we are going to start it up and see what happens. We'll keep you posted.
Larry
If no air was getting thu the filter it wouldn't run at all & if it did it would blow black smoke out the exaust.
We cleaned the air filter and the radiator and just now took a 5.6 mile ride and everything looks OK. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Larry
It was great getting to meet everybody! I want to get back up there when rainy season starts and see what it is like then.
Quote from: monkeyonashovel on April 10, 2013, 05:30:01 PM
It was great getting to meet everybody! I want to get back up there when rainy season starts and see what it is like then.
If you had a good time Sunday you'll love it after a rain. I used to love riding up there after a rain.
Just gonna throw out a couple of dates for possible future ONF ride. Please post if anyone has a preference. I was thinking maybe Saturday 4-27-2013 or Saturday 5-4-2013. Suggestions are encouraged.