Of course we know midnight is every night, but when is Friday midnight? Thur/Fri or Fri/Sat? Now I'm asking technically not what someone is implying.
It would be Fri/Sat.
Was thinking thur 11:59:59 rolls to 12:00:00 would officially be Friday and fri 11:59:59 rolls to 12:00:00 then it's sat. Was wondering if Friday night midnight is different than Friday midnight. LOL I'm talking myself in circles.
Thur. midnight rolls into Fri. morning!!!!!! 11:59:59"PM" into 12:00:10 "AM"
where is the line between night, midnight and morning
isnt it Thur night 11:59:59PM , midnight 12:00:00 , Friday morning 12:00:01AM
Kinda agree with this guy:
By most definitions, the date changes at midnight. That is, at the precise stroke of 12:00:00. That time, along with 12:00:00 noon, are technically neither AM or PM because AM and PM mean "ante-meridiem" and "post-meridiem", and noon and midnight are neither ante- nor post- meridiem. However, for convenience, most people lump the 12:00:00 time with its nearest neighbour, 12:00:01, which IS AM or PM.
Since the date changes at the stroke of midnight, there is always ambiguity about which date you refer to. Midnight on the 10th technically means at the start of the 10th, but when most people speak they mean it to be at the end of the 10th.
If I said "I'll meet you Friday at midnight" or "I'll meet you Friday night at midnight" you (and most people) would probably interpret both times as the midnight that follows Friday noon. However, there are cases where the first sentence really means "the midnight at the start of Friday".
Since the common usage conflicts with the technical definition, if you want to be totally clear, use other words or other times.
Friday night at midnight
probably will always be interpreted as "Midnight in the night which follows Friday evening".
Midnight tonight
This means (to me) the midnight following today.
11:59 PM Friday
12:01 AM Saturday
These are totally unambiguous.
I can follow that. Time is funny.
Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on August 30, 2012, 04:07:10 PM
If I said "I'll meet you Friday at midnight" or "I'll meet you Friday night at midnight" you (and most people) would probably interpret both times as the midnight that follows Friday noon. However, there are cases where the first sentence really means "the midnight at the start of Friday".
I for one have never heard of any cases where this becomes a problem. If anybody tells me to meet them Friday @ midnight & they show up Thursday night @ 11:59 pm they will be there by themselves!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!
LOL