Someone looking at my ATV pointed out that a little bit of rubber was sticking out from one of the links. I didn't even know there was rubber in the chain. It doesn't look like a big deal, though. When is it time to change the chain?
Get a hold of the service manual, it describes the allowable specs for the chain. You need to measure between the pins with a caliper and see if it's stretched out too far. Another clue is if your sprocket teeth look more like shark fins.
Thanks! The sprocket looks like new, but I don't have the manual. I'll have to see whether I can download it somewhere. BTW I have a 2005 Yamaha Raptor 350.
If that's the original chain, you'll likely need replacing of the chain and both sprockets. However, if it can still be tightened to specs, forget about it.
I don't think this had many hours on it when i bought it but I'm making up for that.
when in doubt switch it out!!! nothing like new parts!!! corrosion is always a sign of an old part. I have an 8500lb. tensile strength X-ring. you gotta lube it everytime before use and clean after and lube again :ThumbsUp.gif it should last you a pretty long time
Another way is to grab the chain in your hand and shake it. If it sounds like a bag of marbles it means the rollers are worn out and it's time to replace it. The rubber is from the o-rings between the links and pins. Don't buy a cheap replacement, in my opinion there is no "good" cheap chain. As reasonably priced sprockets are ya'd be better off to change them too.
chain and sprockets should always be changed together.
if you were to remove the chain and hold it straight out so that the links are now making a bridge type, the chain should be fairly straight and not making an arch towards the ground. the more it archs, the more likely it is worn out.