This last weekend we stayed at Oklawaha RV park in Hog Valley, they opened the park up for ATV riders to stay and ride right out of the park. They have rules for riding inside the park and hopefully anyone that stays follows the rules and does not ruin it for the rest of us.
This place has the cleanest bathrooms and a full size pool.
They made our stay completely comfortable so I give them a 10.
The trail head is right across from the park.
Here is their website: http://www.lakeoklawaharvpark.com
Are you kidding me?
Here is a picture of us getting ready to ride at the park.
where was the trailhead in relation to the entrance of the rv park? I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is. Was your trail riding experience positive?
It's the trail head for Hog Valley. If you are looking at the park entrance, it would be about 200 yards or so east. They have created a entrance just for riding in and out in between the two.
The trails were well groomed and we had a blast.
Ride all day and swim at night!
I never knew a trailhead was there they must have just opened it. I was in Hog Valley last weekend but never made it past road 11.
We went camping there quite a few times,untill the owners stoped letting the riders camp there.
It's good to here it's back open,was a great place to go !
That is great news !!! When it cools off a bit I plan on going up there for a weekend.
Quote from: 1Scorpion on July 17, 2010, 06:38:52 PM
That is great news !!! When it cools off a bit I plan on going up there for a weekend.
X2. Hauler need 4 tires but I'll be up there soon.
This sounds like a really nice place. Hopefully nobody will screw it up. I'm sure the only reason they let 4 wheelers back in is because they need business. The bathrooms and ammenities look nice. I'm going to call about pricing because their site doesn't say.
I called the cg and with AAA discount it's about $27 a night total. A little pricey but having the bath house and ammenities it's not bad. There's another cg operated by the Greenway something or another that is $22 with hookups. It used to be $11 but they doubled it overnight.
I was told also that there's no tent or pop up camping in the 4 wheeler area.
Quote from: stacktester on August 02, 2010, 10:26:43 AM
I was told also that there's no tent or pop up camping in the 4 wheeler area.
In other words my kind is not welcome. I don't have any use for a high dollar camper for a couple times a year . I've been using a tent for over 30 yrs. (not the same tent)
Maybe it's just in that area. I'm sure they have tent campers. I wish they'd put water and electric in at the sites they have in the forest.
They are now allowing tent campers in the park. Ask to speak to Donna if you have any problems.
This is great news. When it cools off some I plan on making a trip down and staying there. I used to like going Friday night to Big Scrub and chillin out but it got to where people were sitting across from there shooting guns in the middle of the night and doing donuts in the road. Didn't feel too safe anymore.
How long would it take to drive over to Salt Springs from there?
20-30 minutes
Dang! :o They even got "clogging" according to their website! Card playin too!
I rode by there on my way to Palatka and didn't see the trailhead. Are you sure that it is USFS approved because every other trailhead has multiple signs that you can see from the road.
It is true the trailhead has not been built. The National forest ran out of money. But they have ok'd it for us to ride out of the campground. You use the red trail from the road.
so where do you pay your user fee? Who ok'd it to ride out of there because I need to ask him if it is ok to ride out of my camp which is so close to the red trail I can wee wee on it.
Unfortuantely you have to go pay at another trailehead because they ran out of money to put in a new one. The brown trail head is just down the road or ride to a trailhead.
Has anyone been here lately?
The pool would be a great asset for the kiddies
awesome place.. a big group of us are going for memorial day weekend
We are going this week for the first time. Do they require you to wear helmets when riding in the natl park? Also are you allowed to ride your SxS around the campground?
Helmets are only required for kids under 16, I think.
There is no riding double on ATVs in the ONF, unless the ATV is designed for two people. This is enforced if they catch you. I see that you are riding a side by side, so you will be OK.
I don't know about riding in the campground, but usually they allow you to ride in and out of the campground only. I've never stayed there.
They do have a swimming pool at this campground, so take along your bathing suit.
Maybe somebody else can add to this information.
Larry
bringin it back..i haven't posted here in awhile..kinda fergot but oklawaha is the best family place I know of to ride out of...we love it
The only problem staying there is that the trails bring you out into the "RED" section, which in my opinion, is the roughest trails up there. But they may have dragged it since I was there last. Larry
its also less crowded and since it is the hatred 2 way trails that's a plus for my 8 yr old
been alotta accidents lately makin the internet
Ocala is a crash waiting to happen in my opinion, every time I go I come across a head on. I do like the Oklawaha KOA its a off road friendly place!