I just cut and edged yesterday and woke up to find these mounds of dirt along the edge of my driveway. I pay Trugreen to spray my yard so I'm very curious to find out what is causing this.Thanks in advance.
Mudnuri might be able to answer that.
Did you get any rain after you cut and edged? Could just be runoff but Im no expert thats just a guess.
It's pretty hard to tell from those pictures, but it looks like ants maybe because from the picture it looks like grains of dirt laid down and not just clumps.
No rain and these were made in less than 12 hours. Those are some busy ants if that's what did it.
ants
moles do that. but it is florida so it is most likly ant kick it and see if there are ants in it if not then it was moles
i had moles in my yard they did that to my yard but it would only happen when i cut the grass.
it wouldnt do it in between cuts
i got some stuff for moles at walmart and it got rid of them
yup its moles .....go to home depot and get a mole trap....there pretty cool kinda like a gulitine
You have moles. You can rent my mole killer for $50/kill.
(http://a183.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/l_87121fa69240cac026d92a27c4c116ee.png)
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 28, 2008, 11:08:03 AM
yup its moles .....go to home depot and get a mole trap....there pretty cool kinda like a gulitine
Why would you do that to those cute little furry animals they cant even see and your gonna cut their heads off?
that pit will tear your yard apart and do a lot more damage than moles, my yard looks like a field thats been bombed out
I agree it was a mole... looks like it was running along the concrete.
I'm no expert, but I think it's moles also.
I had them live under my drive and sidewalk, then come out to feed.
Sure can mess up a nice yard.
Mole crickets, not moles.
Either that or illegal immigrants.
Quote from: quadracer1992 on June 28, 2008, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 28, 2008, 11:08:03 AM
yup its moles .....go to home depot and get a mole trap....there pretty cool kinda like a gulitine
Why would you do that to those cute little furry animals they cant even see and your gonna cut their heads off?
easy hippie...just puting an option out there.....lol
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 28, 2008, 07:41:37 PM
Mole crickets, not moles.
Either that or illegal immigrants.
That is my thought also
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 29, 2008, 11:01:38 AM
Quote from: quadracer1992 on June 28, 2008, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 28, 2008, 11:08:03 AM
yup its moles .....go to home depot and get a mole trap....there pretty cool kinda like a gulitine
Why would you do that to those cute little furry animals they cant even see and your gonna cut their heads off?
easy hippie...just puting an option out there.....lol
Im just saying, Ive always wanted a mole as a pet they are little furry ground burrowers and they have pig noses theyre cool! 8)
ants did that to your lawn
Moles, for sure.
damn that sucks
Thats a whole bunch of guaca-MOLES.
Little green army men....LOL
Do you have any more pics af more damage?
I'm telling you....mole crickets!!! Not moles. :P
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
I'm telling you....mole crickets!!! Not moles. :P
nope there moles......lol big ones with pig noses and horns on there head
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 30, 2008, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
I'm telling you....mole crickets!!! Not moles. :P
nope there moles......lol big ones with pig noses and horns on there head
Hairless too?
Me and Uncle Rico used to raise them.
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:45:42 PM
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 30, 2008, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
I'm telling you....mole crickets!!! Not moles. :P
nope there moles......lol big ones with pig noses and horns on there head
Hairless too?
Me and Uncle Rico used to raise them.
I thought they were gerbils.
You are right. Brazilian hairless gerbils. However, we did try the hairless mole thing too. Didn't work though. They kept trying to cross breed with the featherless miniature ostriches. Sick basturdz.
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 08:58:26 PM
You are right. Brazilian hairless gerbils. However, we did try the hairless mole thing too. Didn't work though. They kept trying to cross breed with the featherless miniature ostriches. Sick basturdz.
Yes you must have separate pins, you must realize those hairless gerbils are blind. There for, they might of gotten confused with the featherless ostriches having the same skin texture. ;)
Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I would have to say Anoriginal is right! Molecrickets! Definitely NOT moles.
Trugreen may be spraying for fungus or dollar weed and not insecticide?? Or maybe just watering your yard! :o j/k
Looking at it a little more, it could be worms.
Moles!
LOL!
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:45:42 PM
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 30, 2008, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
I'm telling you....mole crickets!!! Not moles. :P
nope there moles......lol big ones with pig noses and horns on there head
Hairless too?
Me and Uncle Rico used to raise them.
have you talked to him lately? hows the harp seal training going?
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 08:58:26 PM
You are right. Brazilian hairless gerbils. However, we did try the hairless mole thing too. Didn't work though. They kept trying to cross breed with the featherless miniature ostriches. Sick basturdz.
ever heard of a naked mole rat? lol
Quote from: Fox17 on August 04, 2008, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:45:42 PM
Quote from: bignickwaite on June 30, 2008, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on June 30, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
I'm telling you....mole crickets!!! Not moles. :P
nope there moles......lol big ones with pig noses and horns on there head
Hairless too?
Me and Uncle Rico used to raise them.
have you talked to him lately? hows the harp seal training going?
There is a reason he hasnt posted before....R.I.P... :'(
hey those are moles and they came though the side because it was the softest spot with the turf you have they cant break the middle and mite i say nice yard. NEED A LAWN GUY lol!!!
not moles.
Tru Green is a rip off. Dump that scam and do the 4 times a year ferilizer yourself. Every season has a recommended fertilizer. They are just using watered down stuff that is old news.
Quote from: bigbirdh on August 05, 2008, 06:05:44 AM
hey those are moles and they came though the side because it was the softest spot with the turf you have they cant break the middle and mite i say nice yard. NEED A LAWN GUY lol!!!
:ThumbsUp.gif
I am going to go out on a limb here, but I truly think you have the worst case of "Vermicious Kanids" I have ever seen!
mole crickets 4 sure
Mole crickets!!!
If TruGreen is supposed to be taking care of your lawn, I would call and ask for a re-spray. They need to use Tal-Star.
You can go out at night and see these guys working. Scoop up an area where you see the dirt pushed out and you'll see one.
They are long and skinny and have a venomous bite that can kill a normal human. Not me though.
I am the bug man, koo-koo-ka-choo!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28animal%29
moles is right
Wrong
Molecricket!
:D
Although it might be earthworms :N
I've never seen molecrickets in a yard that perfect, You usually find them in Bahia lawns.
I just sent this to my supplier(bug stuff), but I am leaning towards earthworms. They do that. It is definitely not a mole and the more I look at it I am changing my answer of mole crickets to worms!!
TRX#9 is right. That lawn looks too good to be molecrickets, BUT!!!, it looks very saturated and I am going to have to stick with earthworms!
ok so we have moles, mole crickets and earth worms.
I say we settle this with a game of rock, scissors, paper!
hahahahaha
I am in school for this so I found this:
Earthworms, called the "intestines of the earth" by Aristotle, are very important soil organisms that aid in the decomposition of plant litter, such as the thatch layer, and in recycling of nutrients. They help to break down and condition plant remnants in their gut. Their tunnels in the soil help oxygen and water to enter the soil more easily and their castings (waste) enrich it.
Earthworms may be viewed as pests because their burrows and castings create a roughened surface. Also, earthworms are a preferred food for moles.
So, there may be moles around, but that is not mole damage.
I am trying to find a picture of the same ting.
p.s. I saw there is an international rock, paper, scissor tournament every year-somewhere. A striped referee and all! And it was televised! Crazy ???
Quote from: mudnuri on August 07, 2008, 09:16:26 AM
p.s. I saw there is an international rock, paper, scissor tournament every year-somewhere. A striped referee and all! And it was televised! Crazy ???
That's funny!!
Some guy was so serious about it he used a computer to calculate the odds and to tell him what to throw. He lost. :P
I found this:
Normally, earthworms are beneficial to lawns and soils in general. When they become too numerous, they sometimes become pests because of the small mounds of castings that look unsightly in short grass types. An imported species, the oriental earthworm, is found in some eastern states. It is 6-8 inches long and about 1/5 inch in diameter. It is light green on the upper surface with a purplish-green line down the center of its back. It throws up abundant castings.
If I were a detective, I'd say case closed!
Cableguy-If you want, I will gladly come look(looks like you live in the Lantana area) and give a confirmation, but for the most part, they are good for that beautiful lawn you have!!
I must say, I like this approach. It would be fun to watch! Wouldn't have much of a lawn afterwards, but... no moles!!
Quote from: REBEL on June 28, 2008, 01:51:03 PM
You have moles. You can rent my mole killer for $50/kill.
(http://a183.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/l_87121fa69240cac026d92a27c4c116ee.png)
OKay, please goto the pile of dirt and carefully open the surface and stick a tape measure down the hole and measure the opening. and repost the hole size so we may all determine if it is in fact a mole or a molecricket. Moles leave a hole about 1 1/4" in diameter and mole crickets leave about 1/2" hole.
Okay I finally found one of these crawling out of the lawn onto the driveway.I dont know what it is but it has several spikes on its legs that look like they're made for digging. I cant find a picture of one online to see what it is.I wish the damage was just earthworms. Mudnuri,I live close to St Petersburg but thanks for the offer.I'm saving this bad boy to show the Chem Lawn technician.Thanks for all the suggestions.
um isnt that a beetle??
I see them all the time on my porch. They are just like moths in the sense that they are attracted to light. I've never seen them dig though, niether do they mess with my yard like they did yours.
http://dogbegone.com/video.html
It's a dung beatle!!! Wash your hands!
Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 08, 2008, 10:36:42 PM
Okay I finally found one of these crawling out of the lawn onto the driveway.I dont know what it is but it has several spikes on its legs that look like they're made for digging. I cant find a picture of one online to see what it is.I wish the damage was just earthworms. Mudnuri,I live close to St Petersburg but thanks for the offer.I'm saving this bad boy to show the Chem Lawn technician.Thanks for all the suggestions.
Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 08, 2008, 10:36:42 PM
Okay I finally found one of these crawling out of the lawn onto the driveway.I dont know what it is but it has several spikes on its legs that look like they're made for digging. I cant find a picture of one online to see what it is.I wish the damage was just earthworms. Mudnuri,I live close to St Petersburg but thanks for the offer.I'm saving this bad boy to show the Chem Lawn technician.Thanks for all the suggestions.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH037
Sorry, the pictures you first showed are not caused by that beetle. Grubs don't do it like that either.
Dig the area up and you will see. You don't have to dig to China or do any turf damage.