(http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/canamoutlandermaxxt/tires.jpg)
I would like to get new tires for my atv, but not sure what to get. It has stock radials now that are at 40-45% of original tread at best.
I ride in a lot of different terrains, but I would classify it as-
35% sand trails
25% deep mud
30% grass or hard packed sand trails/dirt roads
10% water with hard sand bottom and maybe an occassional trip to the rockier trails of NC/Tenn/GA.
My wife is usually on the second seat and we do like the current smooth ride with the radials, but we do
not care for the handicapped ability in the deep mud to paddle our way through with this weak tread pattern.
Although this machine does a pretty good job at most attempts in most situations I know it will do much better
with the right tires.
Let me here some recommendations. Radials? Ply tires? Brands/tread patterns? Sizes, should I go to a 26" size?
And can I keep my stock rims for now, or should I just eat the big one and go with a wheel kit too?
I Run Terra cross's on both my Rhinos awsome all around tire
Itp 589`s you can keep the same rims , Check out link http://www.traxms.com/ ,Shipping is free on a set. The 589`s are a great all a round tire and they last a loong time and ride great.
The 589's are a great tire but they ride rough. I had some mudlite XTR's on my Foreman and I loved them. They're radials with a pretty deep lug and they ride very smooth.
i run the mud lite xtr and have had good luck with them
you ll see my itp 27s this weekend throwin mudd. for the buck, one of my better buys. and they are on stock rims.
What about the size situation. Without changing rims what can I use? The sets of ITP's list 25x10x12 for the rear and 25x8x12 for the front,
but I currently have 25x11x12's and 25x8x12's mounted. Is the 11 the tread width and not the actual rim width?
And would I be able to go to 26x10x12 or 26x11x12 with 26x8x12's for just a smidge more ride height on my rims?
i m runnin 27 9 12 front an 27 11 12 rear. but i also got a 2 inch lift(not much, but enough). have you considered lifting you bike some?
itp xtr mudlite
I have the MudLites and there 27". I ride very similar to your riding. The tread pattern doesn't beat you up on hard pack trails as do other mud tires and they pull well in the mud. Stick with the stock rims and you won't have to worry about keeping them shiny as you would be tempted to do with nice, shiny, new, expensive rims. ;)
Quote from: steelheader13 on May 21, 2008, 08:36:42 PM
What about the size situation. Without changing rims what can I use? The sets of ITP's list 25x10x12 for the rear and 25x8x12 for the front,
but I currently have 25x11x12's and 25x8x12's mounted. Is the 11 the tread width and not the actual rim width?
And would I be able to go to 26x10x12 or 26x11x12 with 26x8x12's for just a smidge more ride height on my rims?
The 11 is the tire width. You should fit 26's on there no problem. Personally I would go with 9x12 front and 11x12 rear with the XTR's
get the octapus one!