For starters, I have a suzuki eiger 400 4x4 automatic
Ok, so this weekend I was at this place in stuart that you can ride at. They have a ton of pits and a few lakes and stuff to go across.
The first night, I go across this one lake and I take the bike the deepest i've gone: headlights totally submerged to where I thought they went out because I couldn't see light.
When I came out of the lake, I noticed my transmission wouldn't grab and I could only get it up to about 5-10mph by giving it very light throttle, otherwise it'd just revv.
It eventually went away after about an hour.
I did the same thing hte next day and the same thing happened. I met a guy with an eiger Manual tranny and he told me his buddy with automatic made two snorkels for the transmission so that water doesn't get in it and make the belt slip or somethin...there is a drain plug but i like the snorkely idea much better!!
Can anyone shed some insight to this for me??
Thanks
you have an intake and a exhaust on your belt drive. you actually have to snorkel both
any idea how? :) i could figure it out but just lookin for advice
The same way you snorkle the engine intake. Using pool & spa flex hose is easiest. You just have to find the correct size adapters to make it all fit.
Just as a side note... If you get the belt wet and feel it slipping, drain it, put it in nuetral and rev it up and down for a couple minutes to dry it. That wet belt is slipping on the soft aluminum clutch pulley cutting grooves. If you do that enough you will need a new clutch. Don't start riding until the clutch grabs like it is supposed to.
its not that easy, like stated on other post. You have to rejet the carb. for one. second if water gets into engine it will damage the motor. my advise is to buy the kit! my 2 cents
He was talking about a tranny snorkle not an engin snorkle. And you do not always have to rejet after an engine snorkle. You just have to get the proper amount of air to the motor. It can be done.
well my bike is under warranty for 4 years, so if hte clutch goes because they forgot to tell me something about the riding when i asked, then tough lol.
i just dropped it off for its first service. When i get it back, im going to look into snorkeling the tranny and then hopefully i'll get my engine snorkel shortly after with a jet kit.
great idea!
Quotewell my bike is under warranty for 4 years, so if hte clutch goes because they forgot to tell me something about the riding when i asked, then tough lol.
i just dropped it off for its first service. When i get it back, im going to look into snorkeling the tranny and then hopefully i'll get my engine snorkel shortly after with a jet kit.
just so you understand.. most warranty companies ecspecially the extended warranty companies will not warranty a clutch it is a wear item, like a battery or brakes. Ecspecially if they can tell there was water it it. They don't have to specifically tell you that. Your owners manual probably says do not go in water over the floorboards.
my sales person, who also has an Eiger, told me that he's put his bike under water up to the headlights and told me its ok.
I looked over my manual before the trip actually and i don't recall anything about not going in deep water with the bike due to transmission I/E...just the Intake on hte engine itself which i never went into.
anyways, hopefully i can snorkel it and call it a day. It's designed to go in water i believe, otherwise, they wouldn't put a drain plug there, eh?
No its not designed to have water in it.. Thats why it has a drainplug. Sometimes water is unavoidable. So manufacturers put drain plugs in so they can dry out faster. Just because the salesperson said it woul dgo in deep water does not mean that is the intended use of the bike and the warranty company will not consider that abuse.
Have fun with it, but understand sometimes you have to pay to play.
QuoteI no what your talking about.. and if you look at a automatic water can go through the edges..It happens more if you are revving it rds 2waup to 1/2 throttle or more..
What are you talking about??
ya i have no clue what you're talkin about either...