ATV Florida Forum

General => Tech Corner => Topic started by: gearhead400 on February 20, 2008, 10:44:10 PM

Title: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: gearhead400 on February 20, 2008, 10:44:10 PM
Anyone know how hard this is? I need to go buy a dang manual. I can probably fix my 400ex for less than $400 and then just sell it as is after the races. How hard is this and what else would i need to replace? A new quad is out of the question right now and i dont want to miss the gncc.
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: TRX450R_Racer on February 21, 2008, 12:25:17 AM
I don't know about a 400EX. My 450R and my old 250R you have to take off the right side cover and it will pull out from the right side. I can't remember if you need to take anything else off after you remove the cover. I just put my engine together 2 weeks ago, you think I would remember.
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: gearhead400 on February 21, 2008, 12:48:38 AM
haha, well i guess im going to bust ass and get this done. Thanks for all your help man!
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: TRX450R_Racer on February 21, 2008, 02:38:40 AM
Quote from: gearhead400 on February 21, 2008, 12:48:38 AM
haha, well i guess im going to bust ass and get this done. Thanks for all your help man!

You're welcome.

See you at the GNCC!
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: Chillinthemost on February 21, 2008, 02:45:01 AM
The shift shaft on my YFZ broke at the harescramble last weekend. I took it apart mon. and the new shaft should be here tomorrow. I took the right side cover off and the whole clutch assembly and it came right out. The shaft is only $25.
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: duroc825 on February 25, 2008, 08:11:32 PM
If you take a cutting torch and gently cut a large slice from the right side to the left side on the front of the motor it should fall right out  ;)  You just gotta be real careful not to burn you spark plug wire though!
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: gearhead400 on February 25, 2008, 11:35:45 PM
haha yea, i cant imagine the problems i would have if i melted that spark plug wire!  :D
Title: Re: Shift Shaft removal
Post by: duroc825 on February 26, 2008, 12:42:59 AM
Good luck at the GNCC! Have fun and ride smart so ya can make the next FTR event.