Here's a little secret that might piss off credit card companies and potentially get them to stop harassing you with upwards of 20 credit card applications per week. Some people have known this for years, and since a fair amount of people will read this I feel that it's my duty and obligation to share this secret with you.
There are two types of junk mail that everyone gets: coupons for stupid bullshit that you don't want, and credit card applications for credit to buy stupid bullshit that you don't need. Here's how to take care of all your junk mail in one fell swoop: use the postage-paid envelope that credit card companies send you with their applications to send them the OTHER junk mail you receive. It's just that simple. Imagine the frustration of credit card companies when they have to spend millions of dollars every year on first-class postage just to open up an envelope and find Pizza Hut coupons inside. The envelopes are intended to be used for "BUSINESS REPLY MAIL," and so use them for their intended purpose. You're sending them valuable money-saving coupons which could mean big savings to credit card companies, and it makes good business sense to use them. Consider it a reply to their business proposition with a business proposition of your own: 35 cents off a large, one-topping pizza. In fact, they should be thanking you for giving them these money-saving opportunities. Or how about sending them credit card applications from other credit card companies? Be creative.
Not only will you be pissing off the credit card companies by wasting their time and money (since they have to spend time opening all your mail), but you'll also be pissing off all the other companies that send you junk mail: Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Burger King, Papa John's and endless AT&T and AOL "free trial" offers (although I do admit that the free trial CDs make great coasters). This is of course only true if the credit card companies don't have the business sense to use your valuable coupons, and if they did then everyone would be happy.
So it's time to grow a pair and fight back. If you've ever been annoyed with their junk mail, send it back to them with some junk mail of your own. What can the credit card companies do? They only have two options:
1. Stop sending postage paid envelopes--unlikely since they know they'll lose a lot of applications if people are expected to pay for their own postage.
2. Stop harassing you with an endless flow of credit card applications.
They can't do anything about it because this is simply your way of telling them you're not interested, and giving them valuable coupons that could save them a lot of money, so spread the word: junk the junk.
_________________
I have done that, I just use a black sharpie to right them a love letter across the app. ::)
Been doing that for yrs. I figure if I have to take my time to open their sales pitch crap. Then they can pay the postage as well as the salary for the person that receives that mail. Let them take it back where it counts, in the wallet.
:ThumbsUp.gif :ThumbsUp.gif
I just seal the envelope and send it.
I will start putting in the other junk mail...............good idea
I think that I'm going to start doing this.
I've always done this. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction each time I drop the envelope in the mail. I just pay my bills online anyway.
Hmmm...don't have time for that. I just quickly toss it in the recycle bin.
Quote from: mrbones on January 31, 2008, 05:06:51 AM
Hmmm...don't have time for that. I just quickly toss it in the recycle bin.
yep me too!
I like the idea of just sealing up the return envelope & sending it back empty.Takes no time & costs them money!
Quote from: bushwacker on January 31, 2008, 12:19:03 PM
I like the idea of just sealing up the return envelope & sending it back empty.Takes no time & costs them money!
Yes but, the thicker the envelope the more it costs to mail! ;) Load it up with all your junk mail folded as thick as you can make it and still fit in the envelope. Been doing it a while, (can't ya tell?).
and hey, when you do that you are helping out the post office as well,,,,,keeping them employed ;-)
Id@