I've had 2 friends (both of which I trust) tell me two different things.
My boys bought an 86 Samurai and the leaf springs are flat. One friend said the have them re-arched and the other said that the arch won't last long. This is not a souped up sammy and will be used 100% at our hunting camp for trail/mud/sand. Do I buy new or have them re-arched?
Buy new!! I have had very bad luck with re-arched springs twice it the past."my buddy had a shop that did them"
mike, why not look on ebay and see what's available in new and used. you may be able to save the boys a some money looking there and find something that will work.
also, i've seen how your boys ride quads. if they do the same to the samurai it's gonna be rode hard and put away wet. i'd go heavy duty.
The problem with re arching is that to gain much lift the springs are basicaly bent into more of a U. this will effectivly shorten the spring eye to eye distance and cause the shackles to operate in a weird position. Just put what ever size tires that you want on it and start cutting away sheet metal until they dont rub anymore.
Quote from: Chillinthemost on January 19, 2008, 08:22:21 PM
The problem with re arching is that to gain much lift the springs are basicaly bent into more of a U. this will effectivly shorten the spring eye to eye distance and cause the shackles to operate in a weird position. Just put what ever size tires that you want on it and start cutting away sheet metal until they dont rub anymore.
;Dkinda like peel off fenders ;D
Answer. ;D jk
Check them out....all good stuff.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zuksus.html
Stop whining & let them ride it like they stole it. When & if it brakes deal with it! :o
Quote from: Chillinthemost on January 19, 2008, 08:22:21 PM
The problem with re arching is that to gain much lift the springs are basicaly bent into more of a U. this will effectivly shorten the spring eye to eye distance and cause the shackles to operate in a weird position. Just put what ever size tires that you want on it and start cutting away sheet metal until they dont rub anymore.
If your looking for significant lift, Chillin is right. buy a lift to acquire the proper spring length. If you are only looking for an extra inch or 2 over stock height, you can re-arch and make sure you add a helper to the bottom of each spring stack. This will keep the re-arch alive for a loooong time.
I just left you a message Bo. I just called Tampa Spring and they want $900 for both axles to re-arch and add a piece of steel to keep the arch.
He said about $600 if I bring him the springs. Thats alot of freakin money in my opinion.
Flat springs + 10-15 lbs of Tire pressure ...and you have yourself a Cadilac suspension..I had that thing doing about 27-30 on a trail...and never spilled my Soda....True Story
Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on January 21, 2008, 01:49:45 PM
I just left you a message Bo. I just called Tampa Spring and they want $900 for both axles to re-arch and add a piece of steel to keep the arch.
He said about $600 if I bring him the springs. Thats alot of freakin money in my opinion.
WAY too much if you are doing the work!!
I'll give ya call
Quote from: Joedirt on January 21, 2008, 02:00:30 PM
Flat springs + 10-15 lbs of Tire pressure ...and you have yourself a Cadilac suspension..I had that thing doing about 27-30 on a trail...and never spilled my Soda....True Story
I know that you are bold faced lying. The reason I know is because I've never seen soda come in a red & white can that says "king of beers" on it. :D
why all this expense for 2" I can see if you were getting it (your one eyed wonder worn) stretched for 2" $900 would be a steal,.But 2" on a throwayay truck? damn son will you get less stuck if it is taller///////////sheeeeeeeeeeesh :-X
Check the link I posted mike, the budget lift is 4 u.