General Appearance
An ancient breed, rediscovered in Italy in the 1940's, the Neapolitan Mastiff is a heavy-boned, massive, awe inspiring dog bred for use as a guard and defender of owner and property. He is characterized by loose skin, over his entire body, abundant, hanging wrinkles and folds on the head and a voluminous dewlap. The essence of the Neapolitan is his bestial appearance, astounding head and imposing size and attitude. Due to his massive structure, his characteristic movement is rolling and lumbering, not elegant or showy.
Temperament
The Neapolitan Mastiff is steady and loyal to his owner, not aggressive or apt to bite without reason. As a protector of his property and owners, he is always watchful and does not relish intrusion by strangers into his personal space. His attitude is calm yet wary.
History
The Neapolitan Mastiff has been recognized as a breed in the modern world only since 1949. However, through paintings and statues dating from 3000 B.C., we can trace his roots to the giant war dogs of Egypt, Persia, Mesopotamia, and Asia. Even Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.) was instrumental in creating the Neapolitan Mastiff.
Alexander is known to have crossed the giant Macedonian and Epirian war dogs with the short-haired "Indian" dogs to create the Molossus. The Molossus was a dog characterized by having a wide, short muzzle and a heavy dewlap and was used to fight tigers, lions, elephants, and men in battle. This animal is easily recognized as the great forefather of the Neapolitan Mastiff.
When the Romans conquered Greece, they adopted the Molossus dogs and also used them in battle, in the hunt, and in the arena. The Roman invasion of England gave them access to the even larger giant Mastiff dogs there which the Romans crossed with their own now formidable war beasts.
Over the centuries, breeders of the mastino in the Neapolitan area of southern Italy, focused on breeding guards for the homes and estate. They created a breed which retained the giant size, heavy, loose skin and dewlap. This was an animal which was a stay-at-home type, and was good with the family but was bred to detect unwanted intruders and to deter them from the property under their care. Indeed, many say that the Neapolitan Mastiff's serious looks alone are enough to deter any intruder.
Your safe as long as it's not a pit.Post some pics to show the size difference between the mastiff and your pit.with them side by side.
never happen.........both males!
Here more history http://www.neapolitanworld.com/history.htm
sparkplug01 Neapolitan Mastiff puppies goes for $3500.00 female and males at $3000.00. ;)
Do you ever dress your Napoleon Mastiff up in sweaters and funny hats while you're down at RR?
yes, He wears a white pointed hat and a white robe.
Dang thats high.But they are cool dogs . How much does one eat in a week.
I never dressed up a mastiff, but we did have two little dashaunds dressed in coordinating sweaters. It was a little embarassing when they ran loose and I had to describe them...sweaters and all. Oh well, they got back safe and sound and the sweaters stayed clean. They were the two best dressed dogs there.
Wait, which one is bigger the Bull Mastiff or the Napoleon Mastiff?
Quote from: sparkplug01 on October 08, 2007, 09:27:30 PM
Dang thats high.But they are cool dogs . How much does one eat in a week.
12 cups of dog food a day
Ya know I always heard a man buys a big dog to compensate for something...is that true?!?!?! LMAO
Cool lookin dog...Hate to have your feed bill :)
Hey wait a min...Nextel pays that good?! No wonder my bill is so damn high! lol
Be back later to catch the hell
Has to be the Bull you know Napolean was a small man ;) Hey wait a min.... Is there a coikedink here?
Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 08, 2007, 09:29:13 PM
Wait, which one is bigger the Bull Mastiff or the Napoleon Mastiff?
Neapolitan Mastiff
those dogs are so cool
my favorite dogs are
1.irish wolfhounds
2.german shorthair pointers
3.mastiffs
they're all awesome and loyal dogs
but 3,500 for a puppy?heck no!looks like im not gettin one
Ricky how much is ol' Blu weighing?
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.
Quote from: blupits04 on October 08, 2007, 09:30:26 PM
Ya know I always heard a man buys a big dog to compensate for something...is that true?!?!?! LMAO
Cool lookin dog...Hate to have your feed bill :)
Hey wait a min...Nextel pays that good?! No wonder my bill is so damn high! lol
Be back later to catch the hell
Has to be the Bull you know Napolean was a small man ;)
No that not true............That for guns........wait I own a .50 dersert eagle :(
And get ready for some more charges on your next bill. ;)
Quote from: caospop on October 08, 2007, 09:33:28 PM
Ricky how much is ol' Blu weighing?
250+ ;) you met blue
yeah but i thought he was puppy back then... he is adorable though.
Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 08, 2007, 09:33:48 PM
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.
I think he will rape you. ???
Quote from: caospop on October 08, 2007, 09:36:59 PM
yeah but i thought he was puppy back then... he is adorable though.
he still is! adorable and think he still a puppy.
Quote from: big-daddy on October 08, 2007, 09:38:29 PM
Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 08, 2007, 09:33:48 PM
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.
I think he will rape you. ???
Now this i gotta see. ???
Quote from: renmus on October 08, 2007, 09:28:46 PM
I never dressed up a mastiff, but we did have two little dashaunds dressed in coordinating sweaters. It was a little embarassing when they ran loose and I had to describe them...sweaters and all. Oh well, they got back safe and sound and the sweaters stayed clean. They were the two best dressed dogs there.
I heard about Scotty losing his dogs out there.
Quote from: caospop on October 08, 2007, 09:42:16 PM
Quote from: big-daddy on October 08, 2007, 09:38:29 PM
Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 08, 2007, 09:33:48 PM
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.
I think he will rape you. ???
Now this i gotta see. ???
SEE......... you can heard him now squeal like a pig!
My English Mastiff is only around 125lbs, BUT, I guarranty if she doesnt know ya, You DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO COME IN MY HOUSE. Her BARK alone is usually enough.
Ricky, does he FLAKE out if something is moved ???
Ours, If anything, and I mean anything is move ( even a chair turned out of place) she will bark like no tomarrow at it, until you put it back where it is supposed to be.
I will say this, Mastiffs are VERY loyal dogs... Cutngrs has a French Mastiff, he is the same way.
Quote from: dynodon on October 08, 2007, 09:57:13 PM
My English Mastiff is only around 125lbs, BUT, I guarranty if she doesnt know ya, You DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO COME IN MY HOUSE. Her BARK alone is usually enough.
Ricky, does he FLAKE out if something is moved ???
Ours, If anything, and I mean anything is move ( even a chair turned out of place) she will bark like no tomarrow at it, until you put it back where it is supposed to be.
I will say this, Mastiffs are VERY loyal dogs... Cutngrs has a French Mastiff, he is the same way.
Yes he is.
12 cups a day. My jack russells only get 1 cup a day during trial season where they are working out 4 days a week. I am so glad I don't have your feed bill.
OK, since we seem to be talking dog here... Who has or has had a bassett hound. I am thinking about getting a bassett on the next get a dog round. I think they would make a good dog.
Quote from: dynodon on October 08, 2007, 09:57:13 PM
My English Mastiff is only around 125lbs, BUT, I guarranty if she doesnt know ya, You DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO COME IN MY HOUSE. Her BARK alone is usually enough.
Ricky, does he FLAKE out if something is moved ???
Ours, If anything, and I mean anything is move ( even a chair turned out of place) she will bark like no tomarrow at it, until you put it back where it is supposed to be.
I will say this, Mastiffs are VERY loyal dogs... Cutngrs has a French Mastiff, he is the same way.
He freaks out when any one walks by the house or when a strange is next to my son. I like the way they bark too, that deep bark will scare the he!! out of you.
yes, he is very loyal dog and will protect my family with his life....... ;D
The only problem you cant take him anywhere.
Quote from: renmus on October 08, 2007, 10:08:33 PM
OK, since we seem to be talking dog here... Who has or has had a bassett hound. I am thinking about getting a bassett on the next get a dog round. I think they would make a good dog.
I have a basset... other than the howling hes a great dog..
I have a basset. He's a cool dog and great with our little boy.
agh man, my favortie subject, mastiffs!! lol i have 4 of em, and they have to be the most loyal dogs ever, they listen most of the time unless they are feeling stubborn lol, lots of dog to be walking around the house, but no one thinks to come into my house, actually, when they are all sitting outside, the people walking by, will cross the street to avoid them
one of the kids
(http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/snowmanzz13/PICT1114.jpg)
137lbs
the dad 140lbs
(http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/snowmanzz13/Picture101-1.jpg)
mommy, only 175lbs
(http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/snowmanzz13/P1010156.jpg)
the other kid 145lbs
(http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/snowmanzz13/PICT0345.jpg)
they are not always big
(http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/snowmanzz13/P1010113.jpg)
I have told Jessica as soon as we are in a house that I am buying Neapolitan Mastiff. I love those dogs.
My Buddy has a Bull Mastiff and it is a BIG dog....They call him Fruitcake...LOL...(Buffet fans)...that dog thinks it is a lap dog....I swear... ::)
snowman i'm loving your dogs. they are so beautiful. when i went to pick up my tv, barter had one. i asked if i could have the dog instead of the tv. such a sweetie.
I still hate cats.
Quote from: Anoriginal on October 09, 2007, 10:34:00 AM
I still hate cats.
have you ever tried them BBQ'd? (Can't believe I just said that, I love cats.)
Quote from: Joedirt on October 09, 2007, 09:59:14 AM
My Buddy has a Bull Mastiff and it is a BIG dog....They call him Fruitcake...LOL...(Buffet fans)...that dog thinks it is a lap dog....I swear... ::)
That very true...... Blue still thinks he a puppy.
I have a female english mastiff thats prolly 9months old.I also have a 12 year old female rednosed pit.
Both of them are my babies and I would recomend either breed to anyone.Awsome dogs!!!!!! >:D
Quote from: m0n0x1d3 on October 10, 2007, 04:46:02 PM
I have a female english mastiff thats prolly 9months old.I also have a 12 year old female rednosed pit.
Both of them are my babies and I would recomend either breed to anyone.Awsome dogs!!!!!! >:D
you are obviously new to the site hu? lol a statement like that would have got you killed last week! lol
Mastiffs are awesome dogs. Are they prone to hip problems because they are so big?
Quote from: ucfneed2ride on October 10, 2007, 05:30:04 PM
Mastiffs are awesome dogs. Are they prone to hip problems because they are so big?
i know they slober a lot. most owners have "slober rags"