i bought 8, 5 gallon buckets of change pulled out of the moats at disney world at there aution last week
i need something to clean these things ive tryed muriatic acid and lots of other stuff, but the pennies have some corroded stuff all over em so just seein if you guys have any ideas
hey my buddie said to use white vinegar and let it soak. now i want a cut for that info. LOL
are you trying to clean the buckets or the pennies?
sorry stupid question... have you tried CLR
so, what do you average paying for the buckets o change? and what do they average in value?
good luck rollin all that. ;)
maybe off topic but a good story about a couple who had a baby girl, named her "Penny".
(my uncle told me this, don't know if true or fake)
They saved every penny they had after she was born, he would put them in buckets, jars, whatever.
Supposodely the floor in house started to sag from all the weight, he had enough pennies to buy her a car or maybe it was college by the time she turned 18.
Shirah86, try some coin collector meesage forums on how to clean those coins, & make sure you don't have a really rare one that you don't know about.
My brother recently took his change collection to a bank here in town that has a sorting machine in their lobby. You use it at no charge, the machine spits out a receipt that you take to the teller who gives you cash. I believe it was a Bank of America. Check with your local branch. If nobody's looking, it might not matter about the condition of the coin as long as it doesn't have too much crud built up on it. Other than that, the CLR suggestion is probably the best but heavy calcium build-up can take a long time to clean off. If you continue to use Muriatic Acid (which is actually hydrochloric acid and very powerful) you will literally flush your investment down the drain; your coins will be dissolved. Good luck.
Quote from: MOTOCROSS MAVERICK on September 20, 2007, 03:50:25 PM
hey my buddie said to use white vinegar and let it soak. now i want a cut for that info. LOL
im gonna try that for sure, the clr doesnt take all the stuff off though, but i put some straight acid on the pennies and its pretty cool watchin it but when i mixed it 50/50 with water it did alright but i dont wanna clean all of it like that i paid around 400 for it all and cashed in about 25% of the quarters and got around 90 i sent my girlfriend up to publix to cash some pennies that had not been cleaned and they clogged up the machine but ive never seen so much change in my life, im sure if youve rode its a small world you donated to the cause
dude, I woulda bought that just to see it,,,that's gotta be a good conversation piece for the living room ;-)
Id@
If there all loose & not stuck together find a change machine. they get like 8% dump em in & walk with cash. If you figure all your time labor rolling cleaning chemicals etc yopur better off throwing them back in the pond...Where was the auction at ,who was the auctioneer, have a link?
Did you know pennies are more valuable as scrap than they are in $$$, its illegal from what I here. Melt them down & scap em ::)
Pay your income tax with them.
Quote from: AintSkeered on September 20, 2007, 08:22:21 PM
Pay your income tax with them.
only the pennies,,,it would be funnier ;-)
Id@
Quote from: Ida_Mann on September 20, 2007, 09:27:00 PM
Quote from: AintSkeered on September 20, 2007, 08:22:21 PM
Pay your income tax with them.
only the pennies,,,it would be funnier ;-)
Id@
That Would be funny, I think it's been done before.
go get a bunch of the packets of Fire Sauce from Taco bell :R :R :R
that vineger worked on a bunch of nickels i got some dimes soakin now
the pics, we wanna see pics.
I had a 5-gallon water jug that every payday I used to go and get $20 in nickels and I would unwrap them and dump in the container,,,,,,I got it to about half full of nickels and various pocket change over the years, then my then-wife took it when she moved her stuff out of the house,,,,she says she didn't take it, but comeon,,,gimme a break,,,I should start that back up again.
Id@
(http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/shirah86/changin.jpg)
this is just the tip of the iceberg the rest is outside my office desk looks like a freakin science lab i weighed the heaviest bucket and just over 150 pounds i never thought i would get tired of lifting money
Quote from: Ida_Mann on September 20, 2007, 10:03:59 PM
the pics, we wanna see pics.
I had a 5-gallon water jug that every payday I used to go and get $20 in nickels and I would unwrap them and dump in the container,,,,,,I got it to about half full of nickels and various pocket change over the years, then my then-wife took it when she moved her stuff out of the house,,,,she says she didn't take it, but comeon,,,gimme a break,,,I should start that back up again.
Id@
Use a plastic one. When I was a kid we went visiting at a friends house must of been 6-7 & I tapped the completely full glass waterbottle (5 gallon size)with a toy & it shattered. i guess from all the weight pushing up against the glass. My mother reminds me of this now & again 34 years later ;)
i probably got 10 pans outside with different mixtures that would kill any wildlife drinking from it
Quote from: Ida_Mann on September 20, 2007, 10:03:59 PM
the pics, we wanna see pics.
I had a 5-gallon water jug that every payday I used to go and get $20 in nickels and I would unwrap them and dump in the container,,,,,,I got it to about half full of nickels and various pocket change over the years, then my then-wife took it when she moved her stuff out of the house,,,,she says she didn't take it, but comeon,,,gimme a break,,,I should start that back up again.
Id@
Thats funny, same thing here, I had a water bottle i put change in, had a lot(mostly silver) of silver in it, maybe1/3 full, then i met my ex., I still have the bottle but it just has some pennies in it now.
Broke azz b!tch, couldn't even pay her rent.
Quote from: bushwacker on September 20, 2007, 10:16:42 PM
Use a plastic one. When I was a kid we went visiting at a friends house must of been 6-7 & I tapped the completely full glass waterbottle (5 gallon size)with a toy & it shattered. i guess from all the weight pushing up against the glass. My mother reminds me of this now & again 34 years later ;)
I havent seen a glass one in over 15 years, all there made of now is plastic, like everthing else.