SkyHighT100 suggested breaking into groups of 30 or so riders. We will need 6 or 8 leaders who are comfortable with GPS to lead the groups.
If you are willing to lead a group sign up on this thread and post the speed on the Dreth 1-10 scale with 10 being over the top insane fast and 1 being Grampa Jones slow.
Grizz - can you get the waypoints posted for all the turns from your previously recorded tracks? This should work great to keep everyone on the same trail.
Radio communication between the leader and sweeper would be great if possible. I have a pair of 20 or so channel walkie talkies with earpieces I will bring.
I will volunteer to lead a group of sport quads by GPS running at about 7 on the Dreth scale. I have 6 in my group now.
Dave - Blue Warrior
I'll be staying near the pit and have a GPS I'll gladly lead a group on some shorter rides from there but not going to the 88 store. I'd say around 7-8 speed wise but also have no problem stopping occasionally for others to catch up since whoever is with me on the 250 will surely not be able to keep up at that pace.
I will be happy to take a group. speed would be 6. will bring a radio for the sweeper.
Any more volunteers to lead a group? We need about 6...
I'll have my GPS with me also, could lead a group, it would be nice to have the major waypoints, turns, to plot it out first. I ride a foreman, so the speed won't be near as fast as the sport quads.
I am working with Grizz to try and get the route data worked out. I/we will post as soon as we figure out the best way to do it.
Dave
If one of you have the track to the store saved on your gps.
Just down load the track and save it as a .gdb file and those of us that have upload capability can use it ...
Grizz you are good with the gps do you have a file saved of the track to 88store????
Chris,
That is what I am going to do. Grizz sent me a .msi file from Topo 24k that I could not use. I sent him one of my .gdb files and am waiting for him to send me one. When I get the track I will sort through the data and save the waypoints that we need and number them 881, 882, etc. We can then build a route with this data and even other brand GPS users can input the waypoints directly to create their routes.
Thanks,
Dave
That .gdb file should have his whole track with turns and trails on on it,,, I should not have to do anyting to the file but upload it to my machine,,,,
And it should look something like this
(http://chris.bandl.org/test.jpg)
or like this
(http://chris.bandl.org/test2.jpg)
I have created 3 routes in Garmin Mapsource version 6.5. One heads South from the pit and then West toward Tabacco Patch then South toward Eureka Dam crossing Hwy 316 then South about 3 miles and then East NE to 88 Store. This route is named Rodman WEST to 88.
The 2nd is named Rodman EAST to 88 and as the name suggests heads South from the pit and then East and SE across Hwy 19 then South and back SW across Hwy 19 to the West to the 88 Store.
The 3rd route goes from a waypoint called Lake D Split and heads North back to the pit by way of Lake Delance campground.
At this point I plan on taking my group of sport quads WEST at 9am from the pit. Anyone wanting to go is welcome. I believe Grizz is going to lead a group of 4x4s on the EAST route. This route is about 5 miles shorter so hopefully we will get to the 88 store about the same time.
The Lake D Split route is for anyone who wishes to take a shortcut back to Rodman instead of going all the way around to the East. I will most likely go this way back depending on time.
This is posted on both the Rodman IV GPS thread and on the main Rodman ride thread so everyone can see it. Chris505 can you please edit the map on your previous post with the routes and post on the main Rodman thread?
Anyone who wants the GPS data I have it saved in several formats. Not sure if it will work with other than Garmin, maybe the GPX (GPS Exchange Format) will. Send me an email with the version of Mapsource you are using. The latest is v6.5 which uses .gdb v2.0 files.
My email is: dkedward@tampabay.rr.com
Have fun!!!
Dave
Is this the updated routes that you are talking about?
If so i will post in Rodman thread
(http://chris.bandl.org/routes_rodman.jpg)
That is it. I will email the files to you. I made a couple changes but the map looks fine.
Thanks
OK I just updated my software to version 6.5, waiting to hear from one of you for the files. Thanks
I just emailed it to you Moose.
Dave
Thanks, now to try it out. Never tried this before, we'll see.
I just opened the route file you sent me, opened up fine. Now to down load it to my GPS, learning as I go.
Are these the routes everyone is going to take the groups on?
Thanks yamahonda41
I don't know what everyone is going to do but I am taking my group of sport quads at a moderate pace to the West and then back either by Lake Delancey or all the way East of 19 if we have enough time and everyone is doing good. So far there are 6 in my group.
The route to the West is about 28 miles. The East route is about 23 miles. I think Grizz is going to lead his group East on the 4x4 quads. Hopefully we will get to 88 Store at the same time.
I have never ridden this route. Hopefully we will not run into too many closed trails.
can ya email me the routes too?
thrasher@thrashed.net
thanx!
Thrasher, I just e-mailed it to you. See ya there.
Moose
thanx ya'll
Hi Yamahonda41,
If you have room I may want to ride with a good paced group like yours. I am also wondering if the ride to and from the store will take all day or if there will be plenty of time to play around in the pit by the time we get back?
I really don't know Eric. It depends on how many times we stop. If we can average 15mph it should only take 2 hours to get there. 1 hour for food/fuel 2 hours back and we should be back between 2 and 3pm.
Never works that way but who knows?
You are welcome to ride with us. My buddy has a 28' trailer that has CD Roma's advertising. Pulling with a Chevy 4 door duelly. I'm on a blue Warrior.
See you there.
Dave