hey all :X, I've got a question concerning 2-way radios say a motorolla talk about and a cobra hand held...if they r both frs radios can they talk to each other??? This may be a stupid question dunno :dunno.gif
As long as their in the same channel you should be able to communicate. ;)
All motorolla talk abouts have there own channel and Cobras have different channels
You have to look up the frequency each radio operates on.
I have a short wave radio with am bands, and others, and have to look up the channels to talk to the normal 40 channel radios.
I think Motorola is the best. I found a great website while looking for them. Check it out. They have GREAT service. www.myradiomall.com
Quote from: big-daddy on July 30, 2007, 10:16:35 PM
All motorolla talk abouts have there own channel and Cobras have different channels
Thanks for all the replys folks...but the above quote is what I feared..guess I'll stick with motorolla's....... ;D
Quote from: Bigscrb15 on July 31, 2007, 12:27:33 AM
I think Motorola is the best. I found a great website while looking for them. Check it out. They have GREAT service. www.myradiomall.com
Thank Cody ;)
Quote from: big-daddy on July 31, 2007, 12:14:36 PM
Quote from: Bigscrb15 on July 31, 2007, 12:27:33 AM
I think Motorola is the best. I found a great website while looking for them. Check it out. They have GREAT service. www.myradiomall.com
Thank Cody ;)
ight!!!!! thank you Cody ;D
All FRS radios will talk to each other. All GMRS will talk to FRS as well, but GMRS has channels that are not accessible by FRS, only other GMRS.
Most manufacturers have their own "privacy" features, that will only allow them to talk to other units set the same way (meaning same brand), but those features can almost always be turned off as desired.
We use our Motorola GMRS to talk to both our Motorola AND Midland FRS units.
Tony
Quote from: anarion55 on July 31, 2007, 05:47:48 PM
All FRS radios will talk to each other. All GMRS will talk to FRS as well, but GMRS has channels that are not accessible by FRS, only other GMRS.
Most manufacturers have their own "privacy" features, that will only allow them to talk to other units set the same way (meaning same brand), but those features can almost always be turned off as desired.
We use our Motorola GMRS to talk to both our Motorola AND Midland FRS units.
Tony
OK now I'm thoroughly confused :(
Quote from: Can-AmGator on August 01, 2007, 10:53:52 AM
OK now I'm thoroughly confused :(
Ok. FRS is FRS, no matter WHO makes the units. But they may have brand-proprietary "privacy" features that only let them hear units of the same manufacturer, if set to do so.
GMRS radios operate on different frequencies, but INCLUDE the FRS frequencies (at least my motorola GMRS units do). To if you set your GMRS radio to the "shared" FRS channel, it will talk to FRS radios (of course the "privacy" features mentioned above may still be a problem unless you turn them off).
Better?
Tony
10-4......Gotcha a lot better ;D
The privacy feature is also known as a PL tone. All FRS radios can talk to each other provided the channel and PL are set together.
While you are considering getting one, check out this unit: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6404&tab=rino
Seen em on ebay for $50 before.
You can talk to any FRS/GMRS and send you location to your buddy with it. ;)