Poll
Question:
What is a better shocks?
Option 1: HydroDynamics iSHOCK
votes: 2
Option 2: Elka
votes: 3
Option 3: Works Black Widow
votes: 1
Option 4: Fox
votes: 1
Option 5: Ohlins
votes: 0
Option 6: Other (please state the other)
votes: 5
Alright my brother broke his rear shock on his 400ex. What would be a better company to go with on atermarket shocks? We do mostly trail riding. Please explain if you can why you think 1 is better than the other. Thanks
1) http://www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/
2) http://www.elkasuspension.com/
3) http://www.worksperformance.com/
4) http://www.foxracingshox.com/
5) http://www.ohlins.com/
elka, fox, all the other ones are gonna be a good shock. a lot better than stock. just get one that looks cool! j/k. dont get a 100 way adjustable one if you arent gonna take the time to adjust it. it wont be as good. id get elka. great service and product. they have a good recreational series that is cheaper and comes set for you. just bolt on and ride.
I second what Fox 17 said!
Axis would be the way to go, but for how you and your brother ride, the recreational series will be perfect.
We ride out Croom basically 98% of the times we ride our quads and the 2% is taking it to our friend house on the small track he has which doesnt have anything too serious. What do you guys think about iSHOCK? Heres their website.www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/ (http://www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/)
wel, i dont see any 400EX shock for the rear from them. does a 450R shock work? and those are 3 way adjustable. you would have to fine tune them to get them perfect. takes alot of time and work.
See thats what I'm not sure of. I'm pretty sure the 450R shock will fit but I'm not positive. There are 2 different sizes of 450R shocks but they are basically the same as a 400EX
.2 of an inch is so minuscule. Unless their aftermarket shock has more travel than stock we might have a problem. I'll try calling them to find out.
400EX Rear Suspension Pro-Link fully adjustable single Showa shock; 9.1-inch travel
450R(Kick) Rear Suspension Pro-Link with single Showa shock featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 9.3-inch travel
450ER(Electric) Rear Suspension Pro-Link with single Showa shock featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 9.0-inch travel
bump
i would go with a stock-rebuild/revalve. it is the most economic and you will not exceed it's limitations.
That is a much cheaper way to go and would get the job done but we think its better to upgrade to something better if something breaks or fails. Actually I think the stock Rear 400ex shock says non-rebuildable.
bump
I know there are plenty more people that either havnt voted or havnet replied. Please do so. Thanks
Gt thunder does the best stock rebuild. If you go for a new one Noleen j6 racing suspension makes a great shock. Thats what puts me out front.
thanks thats good info i will check them out
Stadium Shockss are the best!!! Laasst longer and work more consistant under pressure.
thanks, now I'm finding other companies to check out which is good!
Check with T2 I believe he has the Ishocks on his YFZ
I sent him a message asking how he likes iSHOCK. They seem good to me but I have no experience with any aftermarket shocks, never needed them.
T2 has fox. He says he loves them. Most people don't buy more than 1 set of aftermarket shocks so I don't think there is any way to test whats best unless DirtWheels had a Suspension Shootout. From what I gatherand what some have said is that anything is way better than stock.
:ThumbsUp.gif Everyone thank you for your help. All of this info was very useful and I have decided to go with iSHOCK because they are much cheaper, but still put out a great shock. They also have a lifetime warranty.
Quote from: FoxHondaRider on July 10, 2007, 01:30:29 PM
:ThumbsUp.gif Everyone thank you for your help. All of this info was very useful and I have decided to go with iSHOCK because they are much cheaper, but still put out a great shock. They also have a lifetime warranty.
Give ua a full ride report when you can
No problem will do. For now its only the rear shock on my brothers that will have the iSHOCK. In another few months he will be getting new front shocks too. I will ride it out at Croom over whoops and bumps, compare it to my 400 with the stock shock and let everyone know how iSHOCK is. My 400ex right now the shocks are perfect and I don't really need new ones.
Alright I called them up and they said that the 450r rear shock will not work on a 400ex. I think he said the brackets are different. My brother is going with Works, not the black widow but the other ones.