Alright so my friend is looking to put wheel spacers on his rear wheels. Are they any good? or do they bend or anything? Just curious.
if he lands hard off a good size jump he will bend the axel but if he's just riding trails and doing small jumps they are fine.
Thats exactly what I was thinking that wouldn't spacers make your axle more vulnerable to bend.
What kind of bike is it? I wouldnt see spacers doing much damage to a quad like a blaster. Anything heavier, :ThumbsDown.gif
Its a TRX250EX so yeah its not that wide. With 2"wheel spacers it will just be as wide as my 400. I wouldn't try it to my 400 because I know something would break. It should be fine.
I put 2" spacers on my Blaster when I had it, and never had any problems. I weigh over 200 lbs too. As long as he's not doing any MX style riding, he should be fine. But there is that stress on the axle that you have to be wary of; especially if he's a heavy person riding it hard.
And don't use the ones that are just lugnuts. Use the real ones.
Quote from: FoxHondaRider on July 03, 2007, 01:50:55 PM
Alright so my friend is looking to put wheel spacers on his rear wheels. Are they any good? or do they bend or anything? Just curious.
yes
Id@
I have spacers all around on my rancher, and no problems other than the stance on the front wheels is different, so I can't fit thru the tight spaces like I used to, and caught a stump, rolled the bike. I also can't see how a spacer would bend an axle. You are bolting a flange tight to the existing backing plate. The wheel still is bolted flush to a flush extension. Maybe if you had the lug-type cheap spacers......
My friend doesnt do any "hardcore" jumping and he's only about 150lbs if that. What do you mean the real ones? I'm going to post pictures and you tell me which one is good.
Dura Blue Graph-Light EZ Fit
(http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/VolcomSurferBrad/2.jpg)
UM Performance
(http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/VolcomSurferBrad/4.jpg)
G-Force
(http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/VolcomSurferBrad/3.jpg)
the ones like the g-force ones are what id go with. i had some on a yfz450 and no problems.
They have some spacers that look like long lugnuts, they can brake. Axles are designed to work the way their made. Imagine adding 400 lbs. to the middle of a weight bar; the longer the bar, the more it bends in the middle. It can only take so much weight. I like the Durablue, or the G-force. Although sometimes they can be a b_tch to fit properly. Nothing a little banging with a hammer can't fix to get them on.
alright thanks for the info, I will pass this along to my friend.
i put these on my raptor. so far so good. big improvement on handling. check out this site.
http://www.dmiracing.com/dmi2.0/atvs.php?qType=WS&qClass=Full&qMake=YAMAHA
Those are pretty nice.
very easy to install. 20 minutes tops. USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!! i didn't :( everything's fixed now. ;)
why what was the deal? or your saying use one because its just plain easier?
Quote from: FoxHondaRider on July 05, 2007, 11:11:18 PM
why what was the deal? or your saying use one because its just plain easier?
they'll come loose. use a torque wrench or a impact wrench.
Think about it this way, you can spend a good $100 on a nice set of wheel spacers, or spend an extra 100$ and get a G-force axle with a lifetime warranty.
i overtightened one of the bolts and stripped the threads. had to chisel the nut off to get the bolt out.
My friend has a 250ex and replacing the axle will most likely be a pain because its direct drive shaft. Wheel spacer will do just fine for him.