I HAVE A 2006 GRIZZLEY 660 THAT OVERHEATS ALL THE TIME. I COULD TAKE IT OUT AND RIDE IT AROUND HT ESTREET FOR 1 HOUR AND THE HOT LIGHT COMES ON. I CLEAN THE MUD OFF THE RADIATOR EVERY WEEK BEFORE I RIDE IT SO IT GETS THE AIR FLOW IT NEEDS. ANYBODY GOT ANY TIPS OR ADVICE
First, make sure your coolant is up to the proper level (which I'm sure you already thought of). There is also a high performance coolant called Engine Ice. Expensive as hell but it definitely works. You may also have a defective thermostat. Rare, but it does happen. You might also want to check with the dealer. There could be a service bulletin on this issue and it might still be covered under warranty (assuming you are already past the warranty period - if not, take it to the dealer and demand they fix it).
Might not have the Radiator clean enough...does the fan come on?
YEA THE FAN COMES ON AND EVERYTHING. AND I MAKE THE RADIOTOR SPOTLESS. YOU CAN EAT OFF OF IT
Quote from: RaptorMan660R on April 25, 2007, 08:38:37 PM
YEA THE FAN COMES ON AND EVERYTHING. AND I MAKE THE RADIOTOR SPOTLESS. YOU CAN EAT OFF OF IT
that is clean. i assume it has a impeller that circulates the coolant. might want to check that. never had that problem with my grizzly and I garuntee you that my radiator was not that clean.
my 600 grizzly runs hot, but it has a closed coolant system.
Both 02 and 03's had issues with overheating and vapor locking. Yamaha issued a recall to fix this. Basically they updated them to what they had put on the 04's and newer ones. The fix was vented side panels, heat wrap on the fuel tank and heat shielding on the muffler. If the quad you are looking as has the vented side panels, the recall should be done on it. not certain if this will help.
Its a 06, it has the vented sides.
I would really get in with your radiator..
if it has warranty drop it off at dealer if it doesnt buy a new thermostat and engine ice coolant.first make sure your water pump is working if not buy a new pump.