leaving this weekend for a week at the rock..hope it's everything i imagine..me and my brother,wifes and kids....will post pics on my return....
Let me know how it is. We are planning a trip there later this year.
heard it is everything you can imagine plus some. i will be going soon as i get time.
I went to CC last year in July. I was awesome!! The entire place is awesome and even though the parking lots might be full, you barely see people bc its so big.
Just a few things ...
- campground near by sucks if you have a tent
- Super8 in town offers a discount if you mention CC
- make sure you get a map with the latest trail ratings
Been to Coal Creek (Windrock) 3 times we love it. Will be going again this summer. Was there Thanksgiving this past year saw snow. It's a great place make sure you buy a map and check the message board for trail problems. Have fun let us know how it went.
We'll be at Coal Creek for our first trip July 9 - 15. We'll be staying at the Windrock Campground. I might change it if I stop at Durhamtown on the way but otherwise we'll be there then. Anybody else going then?
thanks for replies.a friend of mine that used to live down here lives in tn.staying at his place.he only lives like 45 minutes from the rock and is a member of windrock....leaving sat. afternoon,can't wait to get on the road........
well,just got back from the rock sat.nite..it was awesome.first trail we took was #16 (difficult) .it was extreme in some places.crossed streams,jagged rocks,alot of straight up and down slimy hills....saw the windmills,that was cool...will definetly being going back soon..take a bigger group next time.....and camp there so we can ride all night.....most definetly a 10!!!
Glad to see you had a good time. I was there about 2 weeks ago. The weather was fantastic when we were there. I have been going there for a few years now. I liked it so much I recently bought some property about an hour from there and am planning on retiring there in a few years. That place is awesome.
BTW, I was checking the news and heard there was a gas explosion at one of the wells there around trail 35(?). Hopefully everybody was OK.
Does anyone know if windrock has any trails that are appropriate for kids? If so, are they marked?
For the kids stick to the gravel roads.
Great place to go just be careful where you leave your extra gas we had someone take a jug from our truck last year just keep everything lock up.
I have been there the last 4 summers and every year we find a new place we haven't seen before. We will be up there this year June 6th to the 18th and staying at the Windrock campground. If you get a chance go to Snack Shack and ask Howard or Vikki how to get to Indian Bluff. It is a Rock outcrop that when you walk to the edge you see a beautiful view of the valley and it looks like you are in a natural amputheater.
Regarding kids riding, my situation is this - My teenage son and I can ride the more advanced trails, but I am trying to convince my wife that this is a cool scenic place that she and the younger kids could still enjoy. On the gravel trails for her and my two daughters will they see pretty scenery and is it a worthwhile drive up from Florida. We are thinking of combining this with a trip to Durhamtown (have been twice and love it). Just want to keep peace in the family! ;)
fford... I'll be up there the week of June 11-15. Staying at a cabin north of knoxville. Maybe we could hook up and do some exploring.
We will be at windrock campground, most likely flying Big Scrub Bandit flags, or if on the trail some of us will have Big Scrub Bandit shirts
Great... I'll keep an eye out.
On the Northside you will find the Caryville Flats is a GREAT view. It was a full day of riding and make sure to bring extra gas.
There is a message board also that may help with questions.
http://www.windrockatv2.com/phpBB/index.php